Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 6, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #65,417 of 150,301
Off topic post:

Anybody ever seen the movie "The Wolf's Call"? It's a submarine movie but it is focused on the sonar operator. It's been awhile since I watched a submarine movie so this was the first time I was actually paying attention at the audio equipment. For example, a lot of emphasis in the movie is placed on the sonar operator (dubbed "Golden Ears") being able to correctly identify obscure and faint sounds. All I kept thinking about was:
-What's the audio chain that submarines use to analyze the sonar content (a submarine lives and dies by their ability to correctly analyze this, at least as seen in the movie)? How does the Navy select the audio chain?
-What sort of tuning does the audio chain have (ruler-flat neutral or emphasize specific frequencies to aid in the sonar analysis)?
-Could one of us audiophiles (not me but maybe a "golden ears" audiophile) make the cut as a sonar operator?
-Why do some sonar operators use different headphones than others?

Not really expecting any replies but thought I'd share one of the only movies to make me think about audiophile stuff. If you like military/techno thriller movies, this one is one to watch.

Oct 6, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #65,418 of 150,301
I am a submarine veteran although not a sonar technician, and there really is no "audio chain." Very sensitive sono-phones are used to pickup sound from the water and then this signal feeds computers, recorders and sonar display equipment. The operator usually listens using military-issue headphones that are fairly basic quality, and if a sound is played back over a loudspeaker it is a very simple powered monitor setup. Or at least it was in my day.

Oct 6, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #65,419 of 150,301
Off topic post:

Anybody ever seen the movie "The Wolf's Call"? It's a submarine movie but it is focused on the sonar operator. It's been awhile since I watched a submarine movie so this was the first time I was actually paying attention at the audio equipment. For example, a lot of emphasis in the movie is placed on the sonar operator (dubbed "Golden Ears") being able to correctly identify obscure and faint sounds. All I kept thinking about was:
-What's the audio chain that submarines use to analyze the sonar content (a submarine lives and dies by their ability to correctly analyze this, at least as seen in the movie)? How does the Navy select the audio chain?
-What sort of tuning does the audio chain have (ruler-flat neutral or emphasize specific frequencies to aid in the sonar analysis)?
-Could one of us audiophiles (not me but maybe a "golden ears" audiophile) make the cut as a sonar operator?
-Why do some sonar operators use different headphones than others?

Not really expecting any replies but thought I'd share one of the only movies to make me think about audiophile stuff. If you like military/techno thriller movies, this one is one to watch.

Yes, I’ve seen it, on Netflix (I think it’s a Netflix original production). Very interesting thoughts.

My mind immediately spun off to another submarine movie, The hunt for Red October, where the sonar operator is the one that first hears and identifies the “silent drive” of the Red October, when the computer analysis rates it as a seismic anomaly.
At the time, I was more amazed by the apparent hearing ability of the operator than pondering what equipment they had.
I’m pretty sure the headphones used in that setting are closed back though :smile:

Oct 6, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #65,420 of 150,301
Yes, I’ve seen it, on Netflix (I think it’s a Netflix original production). Very interesting thoughts.

My mind immediately spun off to another submarine movie, The hunt for Red October, where the sonar operator is the one that first hears and identifies the “silent drive” of the Red October, when the computer analysis rates it as a seismic anomaly.
At the time, I was more amazed by the apparent hearing ability of the operator than pondering what equipment they had.
I’m pretty sure the headphones used in that setting are closed back though :smile:
Ah, yes. The Hunt for Red October. Excellent movie. Need to go rewatch it. It's been years but I can still remember the USS Dallas' sonar operator (Jones, maybe?) hearing the Soviets on the Red October singing the Soviet national anthem thru sonar.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #65,421 of 150,301
True story: Sonar operators on my sub once located a Soviet sub that we were playing war games with by hearing someone drop a wrench onboard that ship. From about 10,000 yards away. They have highly trained ears.

Oct 6, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #65,422 of 150,301
True story: Sonar operators on my sub once located a Soviet sub that we were playing war games with by hearing someone drop a wrench onboard that ship. From about 10,000 yards away. They have highly trained ears.

We once pinged Warspite or Conqueror (yes, that Conqeror), I don't remember which for 24 hours continuously :wink:

Oct 6, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #65,424 of 150,301
Ah, yes. The Hunt for Red October. Excellent movie. Need to go rewatch it. It's been years but I can still remember the USS Dallas' sonar operator (Jones, maybe?) hearing the Soviets on the Red October singing the Soviet national anthem thru sonar.

Love that movie. Crimson Tide is another excellent sub movie. Hard to go wrong with Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington as the main players.

Oct 6, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #65,429 of 150,301
The best sub movie ever is Das Boot. Incredible suspense and with a good surround sound system you feel like you're in the sub, you can hear every creak and screw pop.

Ya beat me too it. :) Was just about to add that one to the discussion. Great movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back