Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 20, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #6,331 of 149,355
  I don't think this is realistically possible without a very large time frame and an entire team of researchers and mathematicians... and even then you'd only get an approximation of binaural with a lot of mangling in between.

It's not all that difficult if you've got the DSP chops, which Mike appears to already have.  There's plenty of software out there that already does a good job with that kind of thing too.

That said, it does seem to depart quite a bit from their existing products.

May 20, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #6,332 of 149,355
  My music is on a NAS, I have a Yggdrassil, I really need a wife-friendly appliance that can connect the two.

I use a win7 pc that works fine; but it's loud and decidedly not wife-proof.

Think Intel NUC with Kodi. I use this for watching TV and listening to music from my NAS. Nice clean interface that uses our Harmony remote. Very quiet. I have the gen 4 i5 but the i3 is more than capable, and probably the Celeron also. There are fanless cases for the NUC line.

May 20, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #6,333 of 149,355
I'm pretty much totally happy with the stuff that I have that Schiit makes.  The margin for improvement is on the transducer side and room treatments, maybe (?) room treatment related DSP.

In the longer run I might go for a bigger and better Rag Uber/Rag 2.  How much room is there for improvement there?

May 20, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #6,334 of 149,355
IMHO always trying to make it better and cheaper can limit Schiit. Better yes but high end audio meaning spending big bucks for small SQ improvements is a fact of life in the hobby and the number of consumers willing to buy big ticket items especially from a nitch boutique manufactory (with your reputation) might be something Jason is underestimating. I strongly suspect that a $7000.00+ flagship HP Amp/DAC unit ion gold plated chasis that out performs exsiting product lines will sell. In any case this entire series has been an education in how to or not to start your own business and not necessarily just audio. The advise  wisdom experiences shared here are totally fungible to life in general THANKS again for sharing

May 20, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #6,335 of 149,355
There's a lot of questions there, but I'll see if I can find a few I can inject my thoughts into.

Portable amp or DAC/amp. those ideas point towards a relatively large device with very high power output and some unique takes on power supply and topology (discrete.)...Which is where I’d ask…would you be interested in a larger-than-normal portable amp/DAC that provides truly stellar performance?

Honestly, the follow up question to that is "How big are we talkin'?". Are you looking at something large and high power like the iBasso PB2? Larger? Smaller? Personally, if I can't fit the amp/dac with my phone in my pocket, I'm not buying it, despite the fact that a portable battery powered DAC/amp is possibly the thing I want to see most from Schiit. If you're able to make something that works well, sounds good, and fits in my pocket with the pricing you guys are known for, it would be an absolute buy for me, but if I need to carry around a bag or satchel to hold it, I'm not gonna bite. 
It's also worth thinking about what headphones you think people will use with a high powered portable dac/amp. If it's for on-the-go use, you're not going to be pairing it with an open headphone, which is where the majority of power hungry headphones are. Narrowing that even further to headphones that are reasonably portable and you end up with even fewer headphones, as any headphone meant for any kind of portable use has been designed to be low impedance and sensitive.

A nice sized portable smartphone compatible dac/amp with outstanding performance (maybe with a battery as a nice bonus)? I'm already salivating!
But a large high powered smartphone dac/amp? I'm not sure I see the benefit, and I can only see it as being very niche even for the audiophile market.

Combined desktop DAC/amp. If we come up with a solution that sidesteps the obsolescence problem and doesn’t have problems with digital noise in the analog amp section, sure, maybe there’s something there. What do you think?

Honestly, I don't see it being worth the trouble. Combined dac/amps only make things more complicated, and are really only truly useful in the case of a portable dac/amp (because your pocket only has so much room and you don't want a bunch of devices sloshing around with cables everywhere). On the desk, it doesn't make much sense because space isn't a big deal, and you can always hide a DAC. If anyone could explain to me why they consider a dac/amp so important? Perhaps there is some benefit I haven't thought of?

Speaker amps. Do we shoot above Emotiva (in price) with big, heavy, impressive boxes filled nifty circlotron designs and intelligent amp management? Or do we try to go head-to-head with this behemoth price-wise, but with smaller and more efficient amplifier designs (think small Class AB, not D, think fan)?
Would something that doesn’t look big and impressive sell well against their iron?

That's the big question. Can you out-Emotiva Emotiva? I don't think jumping above them in price would be the best idea unless you can come up with something seriously compelling. There is just too much market saturation in the $1000+ area. The sub-$1000 area that is currently dominated by Emotiva, however, doesn't have nearly as many players (one of the reasons Emotiva does so well). Now, it's worth mentioning that because Emotiva's products are lambasted often simply because of their price (it's cheap, therefore it can't possibly be good). That, plus your internet-only sales not only makes you a threat to a fairly influential dealer network in the speaker business, who will be happy to drag your name through the mud because you don't let them have their cut (everyone I know in the hifi store area blanket hates companies that don't go through dealers, and says they make poor quality poor sounding products), but it may not match up well with the aging clientele for speaker equipment (the headphone market is compatibly much younger).

I don't have potential solutions for everything there, but I do have a couple ideas. Of course, it may be best not to out-Emotiva Emotiva. The lower price brackets don't have a whole lot going for them other than what Emotiva brings to the table, and while I would love to see a low priced Schiit high power class AB amp, it may be better to start with something different, like the smaller amps. Smaller amps can work in the speaker market, NAD seems to have done a very good job with their little D3020, which has quite the reputation. However, making an amp with fans might be stretching it, unless the entire top of the amp is one giant fan running at low (inaudible) RPMs. Another option is tubes. Emotiva wanted to make affordable tube amps with Bob Carver, but the deal went through. Schiit may be able to make either an affordable tube preamp or hybrid tube amp that would keep them in a similar price bracket as Emotiva without being direct competition. Another possibility is to vary the sound signature. Emotiva products are known to be "cold", making warmer sounding affordable amps may also help separate you from Emotiva.
As for the reputation problem, there isn't much you can do about the dealer network, but that hasn't stopped Emotiva from doing well. However, the "low-end reputation" problem may be helped by releasing a couple kilobuck+ offerings that are really compelling, then once your reputation is seated you can move down to the more affordable stuff.

Of course, this is just the thoughts of someone who's never actually run a business. :wink:

Preamps. Okay, now we’re talking. I can see opportunities for remote-controlled, relay-switched stepped attenuator preamps—passive, active, tube, etc. There’s a shortage of good affordable products at this price point, and I think we can really make some cool stuff here.

Go for it! Of course, what you're describing sounds an awful lot like the Emotiva XDA-2, but analog. Of course, the XDA-2 is an amazing little device, and I'm surprised more companies haven't made similar preamps. Making a digital style (ala XDA-2) would also be an awesome potential option (though, an analog version with a separate Modi Uber could serve the same purpose). Add tubes to it and you'll make me a very happy man!

What’s the one thing you dislike most about your current audio system?

I'm pretty happy with my audio setup at the moment (with the exception of not having enough of it 
very_evil_smiley.gif
), but one thing that I would like is some way to have a DSP correction system for headphones. Speakers get some nice room and speaker response correcting software and hardware. Currently, I correct my HD800's using Equalizer APO, but I have to use Tyll's response graphs, not ones for my own headphones, and I have to join two unfriendly pieces of software together to design and implement my FR corrections. After that, I can't remeasure to make sure everything is good, and I can only affect FR, which is a shame. Something that makes this process both easier and more effective would be amazing. Of course, I know how expensive headphone measuring setups are, which is why I doubt much can come from this problem.

May 20, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #6,337 of 149,355

1. Portable amp or DAC/amp. Hmm. This is one I spent a lot of time on last year and ended up abandoning, mainly because I couldn’t answer Question #2 well enough—that is, how do we do it better or cheaper? This is something I could still get behind, though, if we figure out a way to make it unique enough. And we have some ideas…but those ideas point towards a relatively large device with very high power output and some unique takes on power supply and topology (discrete.) So we’ll keep playing. Which is where I’d ask…would you be interested in a larger-than-normal portable amp/DAC that provides truly stellar performance? I’d assume that iOS and Android connectivity (self-powered USB input) would be a must, but let me know what you think.

Hi Jason - long-time listener, first-time caller. :)  I use the CEntrance HiFi-M8 as my sole headphone setup. I need/want a portable rig, and I can only afford the one, so no Schiit for me so far.  The HiFi-M8 was my choice for what Schiit usually stands for, AFAIK - good performance, good value.  It's not small by any means, at 5" X 3.25" X 1.3".  It's not light, either.  I don't really mind any of that, I actually like it quite a bit, considering its sound quality and power.  The battery life could be longer, but that's the price to pay for having a portable unit which can drive many of the most power-hungry headphones.  Drives my Sennheiser HD-800 with ease.

It's also $700.  I kind of got the feeling it was the flavour of the month for a while on this forum in terms of portable mid- to hi-fi; that seems now to be the Chord Hugo, which is signifcantly more expensive at $2,500.  My gut feeling is that the market for fairly low-priced, fairly low-fi amp/dacs ($400-500 and below) seems to be quite saturated (much harder to differentiate one's offering in that market, I feel), but I feel that Schiit could gain a lot of traction in both the $500-1,000 and $1,000+ markets for portables.  And at that price, me thinks you want a dac/amp, not just an amp; considering your dac expertise, this should be right up your alley.

Furthermore, I've never owned a Schiit product but I WANT to, which says a fair bit about your company's efforts these past five years.  If Schiit came out with a portable dac/amp that wasn't significantly bigger than the HiFi-M8 (honestly, I think that's about as big/heavy as one can go for a portable) but was a match in terms of value at its price point or beat it performance-wise at a slightly higher price point, I'd be very, very interested.  And I suspect you'd have a market with people who want to upgrade a device like mine but don't want to pay $2,500 for the Chord Hugo...

My $0.02, for what they're worth...

May 20, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #6,338 of 149,355
I would settle for something simple.  How about an outboard crossfeed circuit.  These seem to have all but disappeared from headphone amps these days.  I know, most folks don't even know what it does.  They don't know what they're missing.  It always made lengthy headphone listening much more enjoyable.  Listening to older tunes from the 1960s certainly benefits from a fairly effective crossfeed design.
Anyway, it seems it would complement your head amp line and not be a huge drain for product development.  I'd buy one today if it were available.

May 20, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #6,339 of 149,355

Yes, dislike.

If you have a few moments, indulge me. I’d appreciate it!

I have extremely efficient speakers and I don't need 100 watts to power them. Not many people build good/adorable solid state amps (not integrated amps) below 100 watts. I'm talking in the 30-45w range. That's what I dislike the most.

May 20, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #6,340 of 149,355
The lack of significant volume control in my loudspeaker system drives me bonkers. My space is pretty small, and my ears are pretty sensitive; with the gain in stuff I seem to go directly from channel imbalance to too loud without any range. On some older albums it's less of an issue, but it seems like everything that's come out in the last few years only uses the top 3db.

I've got Emo's a-100 with the knob parked at 12 o'clock with a SYS (the little thing is exactly what I needed) between it and my Bifrost to give me the extra attenuation I need. The other input is an FM tuner, because I'm the only one that still listens to the radio.

I could certainly play with different amp/speaker combos, but having a preamp with the amount of control on offer from the Ragnarok and a half-dozen inputs would be the great negotiator between power circuits and transducers from all walks of life.

I'd also totally buy a stand-along Schiit amplifier in the same price range as the Bifrost--mainly because the Rag is just out of my budget for audio, and the Schiit is always quality.

May 20, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #6,341 of 149,355
The thing I most dislike about my Valhalla 2 is the fact that the LED doesn't turn off instantly. Being a student, I practically live in a single room the entire time, and a bright light that won't fade until 20-30 minutes later when I want to sleep is really frustrating. I fully realise it may well be there to represent the heat of the valves, a potential safety feature, but tiny things like this get in the way of an otherwise-perfect user experience.

May 20, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #6,342 of 149,355
Dislike most - bright white LEDs on Wyrd and Gungnir, blue LEDs would be much better imho. But also, no multicolor like Hugo please.

May 20, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #6,343 of 149,355
Just some really random ideas

How about:

1) Schiit Power Conditioner/Regenerator 

2) Schiit T-shirts with "choice" words by Mike and Jason

3) Schiit pci-e usb card with proper power/clocks and etc

4) Schiit car decals

5) Schiit schiitberry (Raspberry Pi like device, with vcxo and all the good schiit optimized for audio)

May 20, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #6,345 of 149,355
  1. Most advanced adaptive clock regeneration system around, no buzzword bingo required (ask atomicbob for the jitter plots of Yggy after it’s warmed up if they’re not posted here).

atomicbob
Find the 408 hr power up time yggdrasil graphs here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/764787/yggdrasil-technical-measurements/30#post_11612789
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, a wildcard.

Should we be looking at an analog-to-digital converter using the same megaburrito filter as Yggdrasil? Mike did it once, for insane prices (see Mobile Fidelity’s GAIN system (not GAIN 2). Yes, there are actually a bunch of GAIN CDs out there that were mastered with a complementary algorithm to Yggdrasil. They’re, um, pretty insane. Should we do that again? But again, that gets us into an entirely different market…the pro market…which we know very little about.

atomicbob
ADC with technology advances contained in yggdrasil - YES!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And A Final Question

Yes, dislike.

If you have a few moments, indulge me. I’d appreciate it!

My biggest dislike is lack of time to enjoy all the music I wish, using the system I have assembled of which the yggdrasil figures prominently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back