Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 20, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #6,316 of 151,111
  What’s the one thing you dislike most about your current audio system?

Yes, dislike.

Great chapter Jason. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys at THE Show in Newport.

For me, the one thing I dislike the most would simply be that bloody USB cable between my laptop and my Bifrost. I would love to have some kind of wireless solution that would be lossless and easy to set up and use.

By the way, I second the call for a Vali 2 Uber.

May 20, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #6,317 of 151,111
I'd like to see a 2-channel preamp

...maybe Rag w/o the amp BUT with a quality headphone output which can be at home on a desk or fit into a great speaker system and punch above its weight class like Yggy does.  

Tube output maybe?  or at least an option, but having options flies in the face of your company's approach to date.

I personally think that a 2-channel tube preamp in the Yggy/Rag price range (or thereabouts) that could duke it out with products from Audio Research, VTL, etc. would be a hit in the audiophile world.  A lot of us don't need the bling if that baby can sing!

But it will need a remote and it will need to have an input that can be set to unity gain to compete in the 2-channel world.  

thanks for asking for our input

May 20, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #6,318 of 151,111
1) A Magni sized wallwart replacement with one 6VAC output for Wyrd and one (or maybe two) 16VAC output for a Magni/Vali. This will let us create a neat little 4 box stack.

2) Repurpose the reject metal into headphone stands or racks

May 20, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #6,320 of 151,111
A portable amp will be a good addition.

May 20, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #6,321 of 151,111
How about adding some color to your enclosures?  If you are serious about this I can name a great anodizer for you folks.

May 20, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #6,322 of 151,111
A power amp (or even a good integrated) would be spectacular. I would also be interested in a portable DAC/Amp, but please don't fall in the same pit so many others do.

What do most portable source people use? IEMs.

What is practical on the go? IEMs.

Should the gain be so high that I can barely move the pot, or the hiss sound like I have a ghost girl about to come out of my headphones and kill me in 7 days?

You can answer those.

May 20, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #6,323 of 151,111
Stuff I'd like to see:

A USB to coaxial/ optical/ etc. converter. Like wyrd with more functionality, plus reclocking and whatever other stuff you do with USB.

A cheaper Yggy (duh). Maybe single ended only, to separate the product lines.

May 20, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #6,324 of 151,111
What’s the one thing you dislike most about your current audio system?  
Yes, dislike.

My music is on a NAS, I have a Yggdrassil, I really need a wife-friendly appliance that can connect the two.

I use a win7 pc that works fine; but it's loud and decidedly not wife-proof.

May 20, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #6,325 of 151,111
What I dislike most about my current set-up:

1. Headphone Rig:  (Bifrost => Asgard 2 => Alpha Dogs) but, I often don't sit right next to it.  I'm in the next room, on the couch, using my laptop and a Fulla with either the Alpha Dogs or ER4s.  What I dislike is that using the better stuff chains me to a specific location.  I also have a quiet office that is perfect for ER4s and the Fulla, but that means I have to take my home laptop to work.  I'd rather use my phone.  Can you make an i Device compatible > Fulla sound quality product?  Not a DAP, just a portable DAC/Amp combo that works with both an i Device and laptop.  I suggest aiming for $300, and forma factor that I can transport in a Pelican micro case.

2. Speaker Rig: (Airport Express => Bifrost => Integrated BiAmp => BiAmped Speakers) The BiAmp isn't too great, but the real annoyance is the Airport Express.  It cuts out and doesn't do what its told all the time.  Also- why does it have to mess with sampling?  Most of my music is CD rips- I want to stream them from my laptop to the Bifrost wirelessly and not be able to tell the difference between that and running from a CD player- but I can tell.  The weak link must be in the packeting and wireless transmitting between mac and Airport Express.

May 20, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #6,326 of 151,111
How about a virtual surround device that takes 7.1 LPCM signal (HDMI, USB or both) and outputs a binaural two channel signal via S/PDIF? No multichannel DAC or amp, just a signal converter, something akin to Smyth Realizer but without analogue section or head tracking therefore much more affordable.

May 20, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #6,328 of 151,111
  How about a virtual surround device that takes 7.1 LPCM signal (HDMI, USB or both) and outputs a binaural two channel signal via S/PDIF? No multichannel DAC or amp, just a signal converter, something akin to Smyth Realizer but without analogue section or head tracking therefore much more affordable.

I don't think this is realistically possible without a very large time frame and an entire team of researchers and mathematicians... and even then you'd only get an approximation of binaural with a lot of mangling in between.

May 20, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #6,329 of 151,111
Originally Posted by AustinValentine /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What I'd like to see: a Vali revision using the brushed aluminum case of the Magni 2 Über. Incorporate the M2U's preamp output, add switchable gain and impedance, make it tube rollable for further customization. (Oh, and put a better volume knob on it.)

I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

This, 100x over this. Add to this a Wyrd with a brushed aluminum case, Wyrd Uber.

A speaker amp, something designed to run from the line out of the Magni 2 Uber or Asgard 2, etc. No volume controls. Just power switch (in the back of course), inputs and outputs. My buddy bigro has one like I'm talking about, but his is nutz expensive.

A SYS Uber. Multiple inputs/outputs, stepped attenuator, balanced and SE connections (maybe two versions). Remote, ok, if you insist. I'm thinking the Alpha 10 preamp without the eyebleeding price and effort. It'd take me 10 years to make that thing.

What do I dislike most about my current system (which until I get home it's: Wyrd > Modi 2 Uber > Asgard 2, when I get home: Wyrd > Bifrost Uber USB > Asgard 2, translation Bifrost is waiting for me at the house), hmmm. The Wyrd doesn't match the other products, needs a brushed aluminum case. Feet on the Asgard have moved, I'd like some that screw in. That's all I got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back