Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 30, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #54,153 of 149,327
Probably, but not necessarily.

I'm not American, but it matters to me that they're doing as much as they can in the U.S..
For me it only counts if people got hurt (slavery, child labour etc) in the proces of manufacture.

Nov 30, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #54,154 of 149,327
Those are impressive results. What output level were you running, just out of curiosity?
Measured at 75 dB at 1 meter as advised by the microphone manufacturer and the software designer.
From the manual: "REW measurements are usually made at a level of about 75 dB SPL. This is not very loud, it is the same level aimed at by most receivers to adjust speaker trim"
Numbers are so low because this is an electrostatic loudspeaker (Quad ESL-63 our own rebuild), not a "common" box speaker.
Additional, the THD (black, all 9 harmonics) + the noise floor (brown) in one graph.

noisefloor.jpg

Nov 30, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #54,156 of 149,327
I'm a real ignorant mind on electronics but isn't a wall wart a switching power supply?
Good question! The wall wart for Magni Heresy is the same as for Magn 3: 14 volt ac, and the rectifiers, filters, regulators and such that make up a linear supply all live inside both Magni's. No switching supplies here.

Fulla and Hel both use wall warts for power, but they are switching supplies; They work sort of like digital audio amps in that they chop up the power into little bits at high frequencies, then reassemble it all at the end with a filter to get rid of "all" of the switching noise. I've heard really bad linear supplies, and really good switchers. It depends on the design, and I am pleased with Schiit products so far.

Nov 30, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #54,157 of 149,327
For me it only counts if people got hurt (slavery, child labour etc) in the proces of manufacture.

I value the will not to outsource to countries where labor is cheaper, as I consider it a short-sighted practice. Once everyone's outsourced everything, where will they sell their overpriced goods? To developed countries where nobody can afford them anymore since there are no jobs left, or to the countries where stuff was outsourced and people can't afford the goods because they're paid a pittance? I don't see that working out in the long run, and it's not a particularly ethical way to do business in my eyes. I applaud firms who stick to their home countries and show the world that can be competitive too.

Nov 30, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #54,158 of 149,327
Measured at 75 dB at 1 meter as advised by the microphone manufacturer and the software designer.
From the manual: "REW measurements are usually made at a level of about 75 dB SPL. This is not very loud, it is the same level aimed at by most receivers to adjust speaker trim"
Numbers are so low because this is an electrostatic loudspeaker (Quad ESL-63 our own rebuild), not a "common" box speaker.
Additional, the THD (black, all 9 harmonics) + the noise floor (brown) in one graph.

Aha, yep, ESLs and double-sided planars (Eminent Technology is the only one I know of) can measure very well.

One of the reasons I asked this question was that I was surprised to see a THD measurement for the KEF LS50 (0.4%, 170-20kHz), which is very good for a conventional driver. Not many speaker companies quote THD, because the number isn't usually very impressive. When we're talking -110dB THD+N for an amp, a measurement of -48dB THD for a speaker (bandlimited) is not great.

Of course, there are also ways of making conventional designs measure better. One way is with a long gap, short coil motor structure. ATC uses this. It usually results in very heroic looking loudspeakers, because the magnets end up being very large. Their 6" woofer has a 20lb (lb, not oz) magnet on it, IIRC. Most conventional designs use a long coil, short gap, which is much less linear.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 30, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #54,159 of 149,327
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 30, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #54,160 of 149,327
... plus I believe CEA recommends measuring loudspeaker THD+N @ 90DB @ 2M, but my memory could be faulty.

Nov 30, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #54,161 of 149,327
... plus I believe CEA recommends measuring loudspeaker THD+N @ 90DB @ 2M, but my memory could be faulty.
Can't be done with a dipole, because early room reflections would mess up the measurements. As you know 50% of the sound comes indirect!
Those measurements must be done in free-field conditions and hence for practical reasons are done in a an anechoic room, and for the same aforementioned reason that doesn't work for dipoles either.
The new way of speaker measurement is 3D (CEA-2034) which is a mix of near field and far field measurements. But with our limited budget and equipment we can't make those kind of measurements. :ksc75smile: We leave those complex measurements and calculations to the manufacturers.
More info: https://audioxpress.com/article/A-New-Approach-to-Loudspeaker-Measurements

Nov 30, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #54,162 of 149,327
Nov 30, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #54,163 of 149,327
Maybe in Holland, but the US FDA hasn't approved anything here yet. I'm waiting for the free clinical trials. :smile:
FYI.. Holland does exist but is not a country.
The Netherlands is and has two provinces called North Holland and South Holland.

Nov 30, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #54,164 of 149,327
FYI.. Holland does exist but is not a country.
The Netherlands is and has two provinces called North Holland and South Holland.

I did not know that. Thanks for pointing out the difference!

Nov 30, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #54,165 of 149,327
If u haven't already can u please make a balanced version as well? Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back