1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. 441879
    You dated yourself pretty good there sir.

Ripper2860, sam6550a and bcowen like this.
  2. 441879
    [QUOTE="Jason Stoddard, post: 15336423, member: 153898".

. It usually results in very heroic looking loudspeakers, because the magnets end up being very large. Their 6" woofer has a 20lb (lb, not oz) magnet on it, IIRC. .[/QUOTE]

That’s pretty heroic. Anyone scale the idea up to 12 inch woofers? I assume at that point it gets into the defense contract level of unit price?

3. jlucas
    Stoddard for President? :wink:

Love reading every chapter you write.

4. ScottFree
    Jason Stoddard For President.
    Engineering Progress For America Every Day

sam6550a and bcowen like this.
  5. bcowen
    Great idea! I'll come pick them up in person, and stop by and visit you while I'm there. :slight_smile:

6. bcowen
    You're a man of few words, Rick. But I agree completely. :relaxed:

7. bcowen

Not slagging your tape job or anything....:relaxed:

upload_2019-12-1_8-44-26.png

audio philestine likes this.
  8. RickB
    As a wise person once said, sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. :smile_phones:

gljus, US Blues and bcowen like this.
  9. bcowen
    Something must have been lost in translation along the way....I thought the wise man said that discrete was better than op amps? :stuck_out_tongue:

10. RickB
    That too!

bcowen likes this.
  11. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    For me personally, if I was in the market for a Magni (I mean, I already have a Magni 3), I'd def go for the Magni 3+ if mainly because I like more exotic applications of technology, and discrete is a lot less common than op-amp based amps. Op-amp based amps are a dime a dozen, so I like the 'I'll do it my way" approach by Schiit.

Kinda like HE-4 in the days being a single sided planar that people here were adverse to because it wasn't a 'real' planar. Fast forward to today where single sided planars are a LOT more common.

I love things that fall outside the norm in general. Hell, I'm 6'2" and I drive a little red Fiat 500 Abarth hatchback. It's my baby, and screw it if it's not a typical "man's" vehicle. Sounds like a mini Ferrari too, right out of the factory. Go against the grain, I say.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  12. SoundDouble
    @Jason Stoddard now you got me thinking about selling my current HP amp. Which I've only had for a couple weeks. Argghhhh.

On another note I wish the magni had 2 inputs. I would rather not buy a seperate device just to switch inputs and that's the main thing that stopped me from buying magni3. Maybe I'll get a saga in the future.

13. ToddAr1
    So, I saw the Magni 3 Thunderdome thing yesterday. I ordered both. Hopefully, I'm part of the first 250 so I can return the one I like less. But that's the trick: I'll keep both! That'll learn 'em.

I'm looking forward to comparing the two new units to the original Magni 3, which I bought almost as soon as it came out.

Of course, I'm something of a Schiithead, also owning the original Asgard which I bought not too long after it came out, as well as a Modi 2 Uber, a Bimby, a Jotunheim, and two Yggys. Once you go Yggy, listening to other DACs becomes hard to do. Jason and Mike need to stop designing great gear at reasonable prices. It's not making me go bankrupt.

S-S-MR, Rattle, thebmc and 8 others like this.
  14. Charente
    @Jason Stoddard ... a hugely entertaining chapter .. I'm OK for amps but may well bite on a MAGNI 3+, being in the discrete camp, At $99 it's a bit of a no-brainer. Might be interesting to compare with what I have as well, for a bit of fun.

bcowen and RickB like this.
  15. Ripper2860
    Yeah, I guess I did. Me and AUTO-CORRECT are mortal enemies. :D

(Or should that be 'AUTO-CORRECT and I'...? :thinking:

tafens, Rensek, AudioGal and 4 others like this.