1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. tincanear
    would make even your "GE" tubes sound good :wink:

how about considering domestic product "Humboldt gold" from CA (actually not my thing, but to each his or her own) no, wait, that would require you to cross state boundaries....bad idea

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    bcowen likes this.
  2. dasmodul
    I don't see a compact balanced amp (tube or ss) in their lineup. Their balanced amps are significantly larger than the Magni (like mjolnir).

3. David Aldrich
    Jotunheim is there, can’t get much smaller practically.

S-S-MR, trellus, bcowen and 4 others like this.
  4. 441879
    most of them are outside my mechanical engineering background, but I used to do s-domain calculations all the time for control systems (control theory would be the answer I think)

5. NoahFence
    Oh wow, how did we ever get here?
    Pietro misunderstood Varejao17's comment, Varejao is misunderstanding mine.

NO ONE to my knowledge said the only way to make Freya+ sound good is with balanced out. What I did suggest, probably mistakenly, was that to get the full benefit of Freya+ one would need two Aegirs.

Let's try and clear the smoke away. (I'm not sure it's worth all this much space, so feel free to skip along.) In my clarifying post I noted that I am not an expert in audio. I explicitly noted that my impression was based in part on my experience with MJ2, which uses summing to to get from balanaced input to SE output. I like the MJ2 and I even like its SE output, but in my experience, to my ears, with the equipment I noted, it is distinctly better balanced out.

Here is the mea culpa: I assumed that summing was still used in Freya +; that is false. But I am not enough of a technical person to realize from the descriptions that the new topology did not involve summing. So some of the basis for my impression was wrong. (I added edits to my original posts a couple of days ago to point this out.)

Let me reiterate that I do like the Freya S. Let me go on to quote from my clarifying note: "Now does Freya + SE out (...bad parentheses...) sound better than Freya S SE out? That I don't know." That was true then, and I still don't know.

I went on to say: "But I do know (I think, I haven't actually made the cf myself) that to get the full benefit of Freya + one would need two Aegirs." That I no longer believe. However, based on a 'really good friends' reviewer that I have some confidence in, I think Freya+ will sound different with one Aegir than with two. It indeed may sound more to my preference with just one Aegir! What I would love to hear is some listening impressions from people who can/have actually listened both ways in a context where power was not an issue.

Hopefully, hopefully that will put this matter to rest
    Noah

6. Derrick Swart
    yes ATCs are heavy; i believe my scm19 monitors are 17kg !
    Absolutey a lovely set of transducers. I miss them much, our house renovation is still not ...

Jason Stoddard and 33na3rd like this.
  7. Varejao17
    It’s all cool guys - it’s a hobby and an Internet forum.

Hofy, sam6550a, bcowen and 5 others like this.
  8. HumdrumPenguin
    @Jason Stoddard

Any chance to have unison usb on the modi 3? I wanted to get the black stack heresy + modi 3 black for the office to power DCA AEON 2, but I know I'd hit my head on the wall if unison came out a bit later.

thebmc likes this.
  9. Ripper2860
    I think I read in an earlier post Jason musing about the possibility, but it would have to be a Unison, Jr w/o the galvanic isolation due to space constraint. As far as I know there has been no definitive comment regarding whether Unison (or a Unison variation) will ever exist in or play a part in the Modi platform.

But then again, he may have been musing relative to the DAC option cards for Jotunheim, Lyr 3, Asgard 3, and Ragnarok. My memory is not what it used to be. :frowning2:

bcowen and Rensek like this.
  10. caenlenfromOCN
    @Jason Stoddard

Just wanted to share some holiday joy with you. Here is my Asgard 2 and Modi 3, with a reindeer craft project my little niece made for me. Has a good home on my Modi 3! haha (side note, thanks for getting rid of LED's in your new products, note my black tape... horrible job I know, I keep saying I will re-do the tape smaller but I never get around to it)

[​IMG]

11. 441879
    I don’t really miss my memory. It’s not like I was doing anything with it anyway.

12. HumdrumPenguin
    Thanks for that. If space becomes a constraint, I guess there’s not much to do. I wonder now if the multibit dac in the modi 3 sounds just like the one in the bifrost 2. I have an Asgard 3 with the 4490 dac at home and I quite enjoy it. Just wanted something different on the side without breaking the bank (the bank will break with the AEON 2). Maybe I should be considering the Valy 2 + Modi 3 instead (If I got the name wrong, I mean the little magni tube version).

Ripper2860 likes this.
  13. Ripper2860
    Modi 3 is not a Multibit DAC - it is a Delta-Sigma DAC implimentation. Modi Multibit is the Multibit version and uses the same DAC chip as the original Bifrost Multibit. Bifrost 2 uses a chip in the same family as Gungnir Multibit.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    bcowen likes this.
  14. 441879
    I assume you mean “Modi 3”

bcowen likes this.
  15. Ripper2860
    Yes. Corrected.

AND I HATE TYPING ON A PHONE! :unamused:

sam6550a, US Blues, AudioGal and 4 others like this.