1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Jason Stoddard
    Those are impressive results. What output level were you running, just out of curiosity?

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
  2. Rowethren
    I have one of those mics but I dread to think how poor my distortion measurements are. My room really isn't ideal.

3. Jason Stoddard
    This is definitely, "We'll see how it goes." The best way to get data is to see what people actually buy. So we're trying to do more of that. It worked spectacularly for the preamps.

Great, great answers. Thank you! (I'll post my own, maybe as the next chapter--they're all worth some discussion.) You hit the important point, though: better measurements = more feedback (or a lot of care taken to make a very linear amplifier, plus feedback, or feedback and error correction).

With respect to thin-film resistors, I don't know of any that are made in the USA.

Actually, boards frequently look different more due to variance in solder mask, or due to board stack (ground planes look brighter.) But in the case of Bifrost 2, yes, you're right--they are different because they are made by two different manufacturers (that we selected on purpose for specific reasons.)

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
  4. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    The single ended outputs are NOT BAD AT ALL.
    Other than speaking from experience, Jason also wrote so on many occasions.
    Let me ask you: How big a chance would it be for Schiit to bring out a pre-amp with flaws like the ones you're afraid of?
    Get real.

bcowen likes this.
  5. Derrick Swart
    it does. anyways, made in america stands for what? Especially for me, European, what is important to me is that most components are as ‘local’ as possible as long it does not give in on the quality standard. What we’ve seen sofar is that you guys do a fine job of balancing that. And if a component has to come from Vermont or Mexico Baja California, i’ll prefer closer by. It is a pity there is no Schiit in Varzéa de Sintra

Tim van der Leeuw likes this.
  6. GimmeCans
    I waded through the whole post and feel like I have a semi-decent grasp of the distinctions between the Magni 3+ and the Heresy (Did Kiipsch call you yet?), but not what the differences between the 3 and the 3+ might be. Just wondering as Amazon has the 3 for $74 over Black Friday Weekend.

P.S., very satisfied Modi Multibit user here.

ScubaMan2017 and Roy G. Biv like this.
  7. adydula
    Take it over to Lowes and have them match the color...then just paint it!!

:>)

Alex

OR

Schitt could sell an upgraded "red" chassis for those that want to upgrade to the new "sonic" red!!

ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  8. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    Philosophy and Science Philosophy are mandatory course at all universities in The Netherlands.
    It's the only way to learn future engineers, bachelors, masters and scientists how to think and criticize their own.

9. DougD
    The experiment is biased! (in the statistical sense.)

Sort of amusing, but actually that does complicate the issue of assessing which technology is most popular from just the sales numbers.

I'd kinda like to see both be successful enough to continue for the long-term, unless SKU-constraints mean having two models would forestall some other future innovative product.

This "make two very similar products and put them in the Thunderdome for a head-to-head battle AGAINST OUR OWN SCHIIT" is a REALLY interesting concept. Is there anybody else with the engineering/ manufacturing/ assembly chops to do that level of experimentation??? I don't know of anything comparable.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  10. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    I'm a real ignorant mind on electronics but isn't a wall wart a switching power supply?

scottbrown5271 likes this.
  11. Varejao17
    I hope you were directing that at the original poster. :) I was being tongue-in-cheek about the “badness”. While I am using the balanced out of my Freya+, I do use the single ended outs to the subwoofer (which granted isn’t as critical.)

I hope the original poster backs away from his assertion that the only way to make Freya+ sound good is with balanced out.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  12. JohnnyCanuck
    Most of them are, but not necessarily. If its output is DC then you can assume that it is. If its output is AC then it is just a transformer providing a stepped-down voltage.

JC

classfolkphile, 33na3rd and bcowen like this.
  13. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    As you're selling all your stuff worldwide the "where" bit doesn't mean schiit to a lot of your customers.

Zojokkeli and bcowen like this.
  14. ev666il
    Probably, but not necessarily.

I'm not American, but it matters to me that they're doing as much as they can in the U.S..

QueYo likes this.
  15. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    Oh yes there is.

porchwizard, bcowen and 33na3rd like this.