Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 21, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #52,336 of 149,298
most fair would be of course to bring in a loaded Ragnarok, one power supply for multiple functions

I think the external DACs can be better and more versatile, than the multibit DAC card in a "fully loaded" Ragnarok. That's why I didn't get that version (plus, I have no use for a phono-card...).
I did have my mind set on getting a Bifrost 2 or better eventually anyway, but was hoping to postpone that expense until later and that's why I thought, you know, the AK4490 DAC card in my Jotunheim sounds great with my headphones, Modi 3 has the same card, so should be good as a "starter DAC"!
But of course the power-supply and analog output stages in the Modi 3 are completely different than what you get with one of the higher-end DACs, including the AK440 card in the Jotunheim, so even if higher-end DACs have the same DAC chips, all the rest around it is different to make them sound much, much better.

I didn't take that into account when ordering. :)

I'm now wondering, does the Bifrost 2 actually have clock-regeneration similar to Gungnir? I don't see it in the online material but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Oct 21, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #52,339 of 149,298
Yep, lots of little changes!

1. Jil is gone, officially.
2. Products that are on their way out are in a new "last call" section at reduced price.
3. JJs have taken over from Tung-Sols as the tubes of choice for the new preamps. In our experience, they are more consistent, sound better, and have better availability. Sorry for the Tung-Sol fans out there, but the JJs won after lots of internal testing.

Aaaanddd...

4. We have a couple of new "limited release" products up now: Yggdrasil GS and Magni SE. These are special products that we have a limited quantity of, so if they're interesting, best not to hesitate.

Yggdrasil GS
is our "garage sale," "semi-used" Yggdrasil at a special price. It uses the used Analog 1 boards from upgrades, plus new firmware, in a new build Yggdrasil, to create a limited Yggdrasil GS at $1599. More info at: https://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil-gs

Magni SE is a student-built Magni 3, where the profits will go back to helping our local schools. More info at: https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-se

Just a couple wild ideas. I hope you enjoy them!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 21, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #52,340 of 149,298

2. Products that are on their way out are in a new "last call" section at reduced price.
3. JJs have taken over from Tung-Sols as the tubes of choice for the new preamps. In our experience, they are more consistent, sound better, and have better availability. Sorry for the Tung-Sol fans out there, but the JJs won after lots of internal testing.

Aaaanddd...

4. We have a couple of new "limited release" products up now: Yggdrasil GS and Magni SE. These are special products that we have a limited quantity of, so if they're interesting, best not to hesitate.

Yggdrasil GS
is our "garage sale," "semi-used" Yggdrasil at a special price. It uses the used Analog 1 boards from upgrades, plus new firmware, in a new build Yggdrasil, to create a limited Yggdrasil GS at $1599. More info at: https://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil-gs

Magni SE is a student-built Magni 3, where the profits will go back to helping our local schools. More info at: https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-se

I do like the second best part of the Magni SE listed in the info. Man... if my employment situation were not as it is now... I would maybe get an Magni SE just to see what they are like (I jumped straight to Valhalla 2 and then back to Fulla 2).

Oct 21, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #52,341 of 149,298
Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 2.49.15 PM.png

Interesting re: JJ tubes-- actually have (for awhile) this saved on Amazon for Val2-- wonder if you should (or plan to) go JJ across the board & simplify?

Oct 21, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #52,342 of 149,298
Report from the Schiitr

Last Saturday I had a chance to visit the Schiitr to check out the new Asgard 3 and Bifrost 2.

Ever since I first became aware of Schiit at THE Show Newport a few years back I’ve thought that their amps are good, even impressive, but I haven’t really loved any of them – except for the original Valhalla, which I still have. That changed when I heard the Lyr 3, which I really enjoyed listening to. The Lyr 3 sounded different from earlier Schiit amps; easier to listen to and without the slightly ‘metallic’ tinge to the sound that for example the Jotunheim has – at least to my ears. YMMV, as always.

I brought my own pair of MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed headphones (for some reason this headphone makes it easier for me to hear the differences between different amps) and I was excited to be able to try the new Asgard 3. My first thought (after having figured out that the Aeon likes the high gain setting) was that the Asgard 3 sounds similar to the Aegir power amp, which is high praise indeed. The midrange is open and natural, the bass is deep and juicy and the treble is smooth and non-grating. I went back and forth a couple of times between the Asgard 3 and the Lyr 3 and although the Lyr has a tiny bit more midrange ‘glow’ (probably due to the tube) the difference is surprisingly small. Very impressive for a $199 amp!

The Bifrost 2 was hooked up to the Valhalla 2 and I learned that the Valhalla 2 can drive easily my Aeons. Other than that, I can’t really tell how the new Bifrost sounds – I need to try it side by side with my existing Modi Multibit in my 2-channel system.

Oh, and thanks to my fellow visitor who was playing Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon on the Sol in the speaker room. It sounded great!

I ended up picking up the Asgard 3 and Bifrost 2. I’ll post my impressions to the various threads.

Oct 21, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #52,343 of 149,298

Interesting re: JJ tubes-- actually have (for awhile) this saved on Amazon for Val2-- wonder if you should (or plan to) go JJ across the board & simplify?

Weeeeellll, probably not.

Two reasons, really. First, cost. Vali 2 needs inexpensive NOS tubes. If we had to put a JJ in it, the price would have to go up. Same with Valhalla 2. A full complement of new tubes would get hurtful real fast. Also the E99CC is NOT the same as the 6N6P; it has a different pinout. Second, our experience with JJ E88CCs was not stellar. This is admittedly almost a decade ago, though, so we're checking out their E88CC again to see how they fare.

But in terms of new production 6SN7s, the JJs have been amazing.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 21, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #52,344 of 149,298

Everything except the switch from Tung-Sol.
I really love that tube and also the fact that it’s new production and spares me from having to hoard tons of them (wait.. did I say hoard? I meant collect of course :D). I have tried the JJ, and the way I hear it, it’s close, very close, but, I still enjoy the Tung-Sol more. The JJ certainly is a very good tube too though (and also is new production of course) but I’m thankful of having discovered the Tung-Sol as the optional stock tube for my Lyr3.

I was actually looking to order some replacements this Saturday, and I saw this change. I shot an email to orders@schiit.com asking about it and didn’t expect a reply until Monday, but I got the reply the very same Saturday. Great and quick service indeed! Seems they were hard to get as well. In greater quantities I presume.

Oh, and that Yggdrasil GS is really, really tempting! Just within reach too.. at least soon.. if they last until I can save up the dollar for one!

Oct 21, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #52,346 of 149,298
Weeeeellll, probably not.

Two reasons, really. First, cost. Vali 2 needs inexpensive NOS tubes. If we had to put a JJ in it, the price would have to go up. Same with Valhalla 2. A full complement of new tubes would get hurtful real fast. Also the E99CC is NOT the same as the 6N6P; it has a different pinout. Second, our experience with JJ E88CCs was not stellar. This is admittedly almost a decade ago, though, so we're checking out their E88CC again to see how they fare.

But in terms of new production 6SN7s, the JJs have been amazing.

Thanks, makes sense. I have the ECC99's parked there because people insist they are compatible with 6N6P (or Val2) (sure didn't look like they were) -- OK but gonna check data sheets on my own, and talk to Schiit first!

Need a JJ for Lyr3 now, interesting!

...price bump on analog2?

..Jil sorta necromanced into Hel as a mic input? lol

...Magni SE, cool!

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #52,347 of 149,298
Oct 21, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #52,348 of 149,298

Aaaanddd...

Yggdrasil GS

nice!! the same but different

no 230v i imagine

Oct 21, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #52,350 of 149,298
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back