1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Brubacca
    Gumby more full sound. Sweeter more natural top end, and a bit more bass than the UnitiQute DAC. I find the multibit sound to have more natural sound for instruments. Best way to describe is from the Norah Jones song sinking soon. On UnitiQute DAC and Rega Dac there is a squawking in the song. Its there If you have the song I'm sure you can hear it, First time I heard on a Multibit DAC (Naim CDx2 CD Player) I realized that is a muted trumpet. On Gumby it sounds like an actual muted trumpet in the room. There are other instances, but that was the most striking to me. Instruments on a Multibit sound like real instruments in the room. Regular DACs sound like copies of instruments. Not always good copies.

I think you will really enjoy Bifrost 2.

Tim van der Leeuw likes this.
  2. treecloud

Rensek likes this.
  3. earnmyturns
    I've owned a UnitiQute V1. I never compared it carefully side-by-side with Schiit-based chains, and my sound memory is likely fallible, but what I recall was a mostly polite, listenable rendering without much presence in the bass, a bit of reediness in the highs, relatively rounded transients. Multiple chains I've owned based on Bifrost multibit, Yggdrasil, Holo Spring, or Metrum Onyx were much more involving: solid bass, better transients, more micro-detail. Still own the Yggdrasil (now A2), which pairs beautifully with my home headphone amps.

4. jimmers
    As you say the link refers to older high end Naim DACs, they used the expensive PCM1704 (multibit) DAC chip with a Naim DSP upsampling Filter,
    the Uniti Nova has the DSP but uses a PCM1792A "advanced segment" DAC (like my STX sound card :ksc75smile:) the Uniti Atom uses the lower spec PCM1791A

as far as I can tell :slight_smile:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  5. G0rt
    Hail Eris! Fnord!

6. Tim van der Leeuw
  7. Brubacca
    I agree with your description of the Qute v1. Rings true to me and I just spent the last week listening to it. I'm mostly using the Qute as an Amp now. Its a damn good amp.

8. earnmyturns
    It's a pretty good amp, but I ended selling it when I concluded that it was underpowered for the rather inefficient KEF LS50s. Moved to a BelCanto C7R for a while, which was a lot punchier, on the way to a Hegel H360 -- heavy iron -- with also inefficient KEF Reference 1s when we moved to a bigger space, the first amp-speaker setup that I owned that did full justice to the Yggdrasil. Now, after the Yggdrasil is on headphone duty, with an all-Linn speaker system for an even bigger space.

9. Derrick Swart
    if you read this quickly: Harrison Ford

US Blues, 33na3rd and G0rt like this.
  10. G0rt
    The Illuminati have always been with us...

11. Tim van der Leeuw
    At first, we fed the optical output of the Node 2i into the NAIM, so no DAC involved at that point.
    To compare DACs on same amp, we fed the analog output of the Node 2i into the NAIM eventually, so that was the DAC + analog gain stage of the Node 2i into the NAIM.

That is a good point, but in the end we're listening to the system as a whole and for any standalone DAC, it will have an analog gain stage so I think it's only fair to incorporate this as part of the comparison.

I think my conclusion is still valid: the DAC component is the primary cause of the differences we heard between the Ragnarok 2, and the NAIM Atom.

That could well be, that could explain why the NAIM sounded more "musical" to our ears than the Node 2i + Ragnarok combination. Something like that could be tuned with equalization, or in other words, a Loki. (Mini or Midi :wink: )

Unfortunately the situation did not allow for more proper blind testing. My wife did her best not to pay attention to what devices and speakers were being switched in and out and just listen to the music, and when we switched in the Modi 3 she had no idea what we were doing -- she was just responding to what she heard.

Of course it's still not a blind test by any means.

Unfortunately backordered, but that only gives me the chance to wait for a Loki Midi (Bifrost-sized) to come up for sale... :)

It should arrive tomorrow, looking forward to it.

treecloud likes this.
  12. Derrick Swart
    most fair would be of course to bring in a loaded Ragnarok, one power supply for multiple functions

treecloud likes this.
  13. audio philestine
  14. Tim van der Leeuw
    I think the external DACs can be better and more versatile, than the multibit DAC card in a "fully loaded" Ragnarok. That's why I didn't get that version (plus, I have no use for a phono-card...).
    I did have my mind set on getting a Bifrost 2 or better eventually anyway, but was hoping to postpone that expense until later and that's why I thought, you know, the AK4490 DAC card in my Jotunheim sounds great with my headphones, Modi 3 has the same card, so should be good as a "starter DAC"!
    But of course the power-supply and analog output stages in the Modi 3 are completely different than what you get with one of the higher-end DACs, including the AK440 card in the Jotunheim, so even if higher-end DACs have the same DAC chips, all the rest around it is different to make them sound much, much better.

I didn't take that into account when ordering. :)

I'm now wondering, does the Bifrost 2 actually have clock-regeneration similar to Gungnir? I don't see it in the online material but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

15. judson_w
    Dang, looks like the Jil is already gone.