1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. yonson
    I don't stream, I like buying all my music so I know 100% for sure I can listen to it whenever I want.

My F-150 WILL do 160 MPH and does 0-60 in under 4 seconds :wink:

RickB likes this.
  2. Tim van der Leeuw
    For me streaming is a good way to discover new music and listen to that before I buy.

I do have to admit that it also makes lazy with buying... Although on the other hand, this year I have bought more than in the 15 years or so before.

HK_sends and golfbravobravo like this.
  3. yonson
    That's definitely one way to find new music. I usually find new music by going to places like the salvation army and buying CD's or Records for .50 each, it's amazing what you can find and just because it may be 20+ years old, you may have never heard it so I still consider that "new" music.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  4. Tim van der Leeuw
    Same for me!

DougD likes this.
  5. hearditontheX
  6. valiant66
    All Hail Discordia! Fnord!

7. valiant66
    Good to know. I have about 250,000 tracks...

8. valiant66
    My F-150 is made by Tonka and will reach terminal velocity if dropped from a tall enough building... :wink:

yonson, motberg, AudioGal and 2 others like this.
  9. JohnnyCanuck
    Just like the one made by Ford

:smile_phones:

JC

yonson likes this.
  10. Roy G. Biv
    That was a very honest assessment and I thank you for posting it. I wonder if the coax out to the Modi might have yielded some better results than optical but who knows? I have the Modi Multibit and I like it just fine but it is the only standalone DAC I've had in my system so I'm definitely not an expert.

I'm waiting for Unison to come to Yggdrasil as I believe it will be a noticeable improvement.

A minor edit... I also have a Loki Mini. I like it because it tames my Monitor Audio Silver 5is which can be a bit harsh in treble. But I seriously doubt that it would fix any of the issues that you had experienced with the Modi 3. As always, YMMV.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  11. Brubacca
    I have the predecessor to the Atom called the UnitiQute (I have v1). I use a V1 Gumby feeding the analog input and feel that the DAC in Gumby is much better than the DAC in the Qute.

Atom is still an "entry level" product for Naim. I'll bet that Bifrost 2 will sound better. Another note all the Current generation Naim UnitiQute products (including atom) actually digitize the analog input before recoding it on the output. This is done for multizone purposes. So you heard a A-D conversion of the Node 2i and then a D-A with the DAC in the Atom.

Not a fair comparison.
    Here in the US the Atom is like $3k+. I think a Gumby, Rag 2 would sound much better even using the node 2i feeding the Gumby.

12. golfbravobravo
    I'm signed up for a number of services' newsletters - Primephonic, Naxos, and especially ProStudioMasters. I look through the emails as they come in and check them out on Qobuz and Tidal. If after listening I like the music I tend to buy and download form Qobuz.

Cheers

13. Tim van der Leeuw
    Thanks for your reply.

What makes the Gungnir better to your ears, than the DAC in the NAIM? I'm curious to know.

Interesting tidbit of information also on the digitizing of analog inputs by the NAIM.

Not a fair comparison? Yes, that's in the end what I concluded too, because the comparison was not just an amp, or just a DAC. It was one system (NAIM Atom Unity), vs another system (Ragnarok 2 + Bluesound Node 2i), and Ragnarok 2 + Modi 3.

Of course I need all components of that system and as a whole, the NAIM system sounded really good. I wanted the Ragnarok to sound better, but I had to conclude that _in the given combination_ it just about lost... Hence me diving into what caused these differences and coming up with: the DAC. And going for a search for another DAC to match the Rag with. :wink:

Bifrost 2 hopefully arrives on Tuesday. Then at home I still have old speakers, the new speakers will come later, so at home I won't instantly be able to try out the full potential of it, but ... looking forward to making the comparison. :)

ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  14. Tim van der Leeuw
    I'm sure the Modi 3 is an upgrade over whatever DAC is in laptops or phones. I'm blown away every time by the sound of my Jotunheim with 4490 D/S DAC card over my headphones, compared to the direct output of both laptops and of the RadSone ES100 which I have. It's a balanced DAC but otherwise it's basically the same as found in the Modi 3, so I had perhaps too high expectations? :L3000:

For 2-channel, in a medium sized room, it was however outclassed by the other DACs that we heard before it. I don't know what DACs Bluesound uses in their equipment, but NAIM definitely made some efforts to make a good DAC and it shows.
    I'm still holding out for the improved Schiit stack to win out in the rematch. :wink: :wink:

ScubaMan2017 and Rensek like this.
  15. HK_sends
    ScubaMan2017 and Mike-WI like this.