Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 21, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #52,366 of 150,610
Yggdrasil GS ($1600) + Analog 2 update ($650) = Yggdrasil Analog 2 ($2400) - $150 :ksc75smile:

Edit: and 2 years off the warranty, and some used parts. Ah, well.

It's same as Yggdrasil Analog 2, same return policy, same everything, just used Analog 1 boards.

Except you can't buy this in one shot. You'd have to buy it, send it back, pay shipping both ways, and then you'd have an Yggdrasil Analog 2 with a shorter warranty for probably about the same amount of money. If you want to do this, knock yourself out. But it's really dumb.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 21, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #52,368 of 150,610
Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #52,369 of 150,610
It was hard, but I decided not to bite and get the Yggy GS. I've realized I'm perfectly happy with my Gumby, it hasn't disappointed me yet, and its more compact form-factor works better for my desk setup too. :)

The Yggy GS is a great deal, though, and it was hard saying no. To whoever picks one up, enjoy it!

Oct 21, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #52,370 of 150,610
Yep, lots of little changes!

1. Jil is gone, officially.
2. Products that are on their way out are in a new "last call" section at reduced price.
3. JJs have taken over from Tung-Sols as the tubes of choice for the new preamps. In our experience, they are more consistent, sound better, and have better availability. Sorry for the Tung-Sol fans out there, but the JJs won after lots of internal testing.

Aaaanddd...

4. We have a couple of new "limited release" products up now: Yggdrasil GS and Magni SE. These are special products that we have a limited quantity of, so if they're interesting, best not to hesitate.

Yggdrasil GS
is our "garage sale," "semi-used" Yggdrasil at a special price. It uses the used Analog 1 boards from upgrades, plus new firmware, in a new build Yggdrasil, to create a limited Yggdrasil GS at $1599. More info at: https://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil-gs

Magni SE is a student-built Magni 3, where the profits will go back to helping our local schools. More info at: https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-se

Just a couple wild ideas. I hope you enjoy them!

When will the Freya+ start shipping with JJ's? I was planning on pulling the trigger on a Freya+ tonight. Should I wait a bit to make sure I get JJ's with it?

Oct 22, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #52,372 of 150,610
More Schiit kudos (in combination with Salk) via Jim Salk:

*Eric Franklin Shook of AudioHead* also commented on the SS 9.5's...

"How’s it all sound? Well, not to blur things up too much, I heard the Salk Sound SS9.5’s on McGary tube amplifiers at Axpona 2019 and it was absolutely awesome. The Salk and McGary combination in multiple formations is a pairing that elevates both brands to new heights. I’ve written that the McGary/Salk combination is the right way to go.

However. And it’s a big however. Here we are with a completely solid-state system...In the case of Schiit Audio and Salk Sound, using the new Freya S preamplifier with Nexus engaged, and the Aegirs in mono-block formation, I’m thoroughly confused as to which way is the right way.

Not to say that there aren’t differences or that I can’t hear them. I’ve found both. The point is, the SS9.5’s sound really damn good on both. Schiit’s Aegir in mono-block configuration only crushes out 80-watts per channel, and the Salk’s are traditionally known to bloom with ample power. Here at RMAF 2019, everything I hear from the Schiit/Salk combination has me thinking the old cliche is true. There’s more than one way to skin the 'audio-bliss-cat.'"

*Brian Hunter of AudioStream* also commented on the SS 9.5's...

"On more than one occasion I have heard “Misery” by Dave’s True Story playing through a high-end system, but during this playback session, I was caught by the collective richness and vibrancy of the recording. At no point did the song feel bottlenecked by the middle-of-the-road Bifrost 2 (Schiit Audio's $699 DAC) translation. The grand sum of the lengthy equation just sounded superb coming out the other side."

Oct 22, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #52,373 of 150,610
@Jason Stoddard So now, when You are offering the ROM upgrade For The Yggdrasil to be shipped. Can i order ROM and the analog boards, to upgrade my A1 to A2 myself?

Per the info on their website, the A2 upgrade can not be performed by the end user. It either has to go back to Schiit, or your nearest distributor.

Oct 22, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #52,374 of 150,610
When will the Freya+ start shipping with JJ's? I was planning on pulling the trigger on a Freya+ tonight. Should I wait a bit to make sure I get JJ's with it?

They've been shipping with JJs for a while.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 22, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #52,375 of 150,610
It was hard, but I decided not to bite and get the Yggy GS. I've realized I'm perfectly happy with my Gumby, it hasn't disappointed me yet, and its more compact form-factor works better for my desk setup too. :)

The Yggy GS is a great deal, though, and it was hard saying no. To whoever picks one up, enjoy it!

Yeah, as tempting as it may be, the only upgrade for us is an Yggdrasil with the new autonomy design. I know I'm definitely waiting for it.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #52,376 of 150,610
Oct 22, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #52,377 of 150,610
Oct 22, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #52,378 of 150,610
A very interesting article, I just skimmed it but I will sit down and read it tonight. I still have a Pono player and it works like a champ, I may have to replace the rechargeable batteries one day but so far so good.
Yeah, I love mine too. Wish I was better at soldering, so it would be an easy self-replacement. I don't use it as much as I would if the battery life was a little longer. Even as long as the mojo would be good.

Oct 22, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #52,379 of 150,610
Yeah, I love mine too. Wish I was better at soldering, so it would be an easy self-replacement. I don't use it as much as I would if the battery life was a little longer. Even as long as the mojo would be good.

If you were to get other batteries I could replace them for you provided they were the same approximate size. No charge, just glad to help out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back