Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 21, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #4,982 of 151,941
If i can deviate for just a second, what is the difference between "real volume pot" and non-real "volume control chip"?  As mentioned on Fulla's product page?  P.S.  I wanted to buy one and was bummed they are out of stock =(
That’s Fulla, and it’s not only a combined DAC and headphone amp, it’s also the least expensive quality dongle-DAC/amp on the market, with a knob for volume control—connected to a real live analog volume pot, not a volume control chip.

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #4,983 of 151,941
Universal AC voltage. Oh yeah, this would be great for some customers. The ability to plug into 100-240V and have it work everywhere in the world isn’t a problem for Apple chargers and such, so why can’t we offer it? In short, because it is either complex and expensive, or it’s a compromise. Apple can do it because they use switching supplies. We won’t use switching supplies, because we believe that they are usually very compromised (in terms of noise) when compared to linear supplies. Linear supplies can use complex switching systems to detect and swap transformer primaries, but again, you need a keep-alive transformer and quite a bit of electronics. It’s pretty amazing how big a good auto-switching linear power supply is. It won’t fit in a lot of our gear, and even if it did, it would significantly affect the price. Our solution? Perhaps in the future you’ll see a voltage selector switch on the back panel…but suitably protected. If someone switches it to the wrong voltage, it’ll be a bad day. And even if recessed and protected, many someones will switch it wrong. We’re still debating this one.  

Maybe something like Plixir Balanced AC power conditioner boxes... Separate box with all the power things, switching, buttons and stuff... But then better and with a Schiit sauce.....

Just a thought......

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #4,984 of 151,941
  If i can deviate for just a second, what is the difference between "real volume pot" and non-real "volume control chip"?  As mentioned on Fulla's product page?  P.S.  I wanted to buy one and was bummed they are out of stock =(

Fulla's volume control is done in the analog domain, after the D-A conversion. They use a conventional analog volume pot (like in your analog pre-amp) to attenuate the signal.

The competition, instead, use digital attenuation. This attenuation is logically controlled by the "volume control chip", which the user usually access with '+/-' buttons on the device.

Jan 21, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #4,985 of 151,941

The competition, instead, use digital attenuation. This attenuation is logically controlled by the "volume control chip", which the user usually access with '+/-' buttons on the device.

And as far as I'm concerned, they might as well dispense with the volume controls on the device and use those of the computer, like the Explorer.

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #4,986 of 151,941
I'm a big fan if Schiit. Top notch products. I have a Gungnir/Valhalla combo and it sounds great. Just received a Fulla and have a Magni/Modi at the office. I wonder if they will devise a portable DAC/headphone amp. I would buy it.

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #4,988 of 151,941
[I

[/I]
I would be very happy if Schiit created a portable DAC/amp!

Yes love Schiit to make a balanced portable dac/amp, that could take on the so called big cats like Hugo or AK 240 or fiio. I

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #4,991 of 151,941
Jan 22, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #4,992 of 151,941
By the way Jason, 2015 Part 2 isn't linked off of the first post.

I hadn't realized you had posted it, and was getting worried that Amazon might have launched their first drone strike on your office; or that Schiit had been overrun by a mob of switch position fanatics.

beyersmile.png
beyersmile.png
beyersmile.png

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #4,994 of 151,941

Mr.Stoddard,

Well, very nice explanation.  Good to read you not ranting about these things, I like your rational approach and your comparison to the Auto Industry products.
All "Fair and Good".  
I accept your products despite not liking to reach behind for the power switch.  
  One major electronics manufacturer simply states the they put the power sw. on the rear of "any" product designed to be left on "all the time", this seems the best and simplest "logic", an easy and understandable response: end of issue!, can't argue with em on it, Oh-Kay.

In response to the Car Fob thingy: 

People don't "like" the Fob Key, they love and demand the Fob Key.
 You can't sell a New Car today without the darn things.  
The Fob Key device is a $300 solution to a $3 problem.  
All the issues you mention plus a few you haven't though of yet are things that engineers are trying to design out of the device.  
It's crappy dog-food but the dogs eat the hell out of it. ( is my point-of-view ).
 It was supposed to be just for the Caddys and big Mercs type "Show-off" Cars but it was such a selling tool that it creeped into even the least expensive KIA cars.  ( if the KIA Rio comes with one, it better be on everything in your product line ) .  
My wife has the electronic Fob, she loves it, she also has an electronic Garage Door Opener with it's electronic Visor Button.  These two devices are critical to her life now, I keep her little Buttons maintained, I have duplicate buttons for the purpose of swapping out her's if…, that if… happens every year or so.  
Such is life today.  

Back to the rear switch that people have been bitching about since I started following your Schiit stuff: this complaining and debating isn't letting up, it lulls from time to time but it continues with all the new-comers to this headphone world.  You are the only ones living with this complaint, (I think), Mike tried to "tell" em to leave it on "all the time" but he has a sharp stick approach to poking people that it probably should come from you in you product descriptions, you have a nice soft & gentle approach that people love.  

Now, can you please start auditioning those fuses that go in your bigger stuff?

Yours,

Tony in Michigan 

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #4,995 of 151,941
Quote:wink
 What's the next statement product from Schiit gonna be...?

Let me rephrase that :-

What's the ultimate product from Schiit gonna be?

It'a gonna be an All-In One universal solution for all your audio needs.

What's it gonna be called?       "FIGHT"       Because it's gonna be one unbelievable fight when comparing it to all the other statement products.

Head-Fi, yes, the whole industry will be in turmoil while the moist brown hits the fan until all the turds cards are finally laid on the table........

Yes, it's gonna be one big  S _ _ _ _ T F _  _ _ T.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back