Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 22, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #4,996 of 154,160
Another bright idea is to market speaker and headphone cables.

Call them the flatus line of output leads.

"Does your Sennheiser HD800 have the new Schiit Flatus balanced headphoine cable?"

"Mine gets rid of that pesky 6kHz bump while extending and increasing the bass output"

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #4,998 of 154,160

The competition, instead, use digital attenuation. This attenuation is logically controlled by the "volume control chip", which the user usually access with '+/-' buttons on the device.

Just to be clear... digital attenuation generally refers to level changes done in the digital domain before DA conversion, but I think what you are describing is digitally controlled analog attenuation (digital logic is used to control a chip-based analog attenuator).

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #5,000 of 154,160

hopefully an upgrade option for those who need this. e.g. if I relocate to Japan with my stuff 

100V won't be part of it, I'm afraid.

Nor will it be an upgrade--it would require casework changes.

Nor can I give a timeframe. May be years.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 22, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #5,002 of 154,160
  How about a crowd designed device? Like LH labs or iFi. They are very successful and match exactly Schiit's philosophy 
L3000.gif

Unless I'm mistaken? 
ph34r.gif

You mean like a  dog's dinner thread of a drag-the-audience along "You asked for 4-times DSD, we're giving you a BILLION-times DSD!" marketing exercise kind? No, I don't think that is Schiit's philosophy*

Sure, Schiit are doing their marketing, in threads like this, but I, for one, appreciate the way the are doing it, whereas the "other" way just serves to make me never want to hear of a company again.

At the end of the day, I'm sure that everybody knows how to keep their target audience. The big difference with Schiit is that I don't feel like a target audience. I feel like a human being.

*I'm also aware that it is not Schiit policy to talk about competitors, positive or negative, except in the generalised, business-study, sense, so please excuse my reference to the recognisable

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #5,003 of 154,160

@atubbs , you laugh, but there is another direct-to-consumer brand that goes as low as $219. Granted, they are designed in North America, but made in China. I am sure Schiit can build a better quality 2-channel amp for the price I listed, but have it made in California. I bet they can hit something like that. On top of that, I am sure they can make absolute killer amps at $999 (Sleipner) and $2000-$3000 (Odin).

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #5,004 of 154,160
In addition to all of the things Jason listed, new features cost you in future engineering and support. You've got to continue to support the feature in existing products (eg. fixing bugs, maybe enhancing it to support some new standard or something), and customers will expect to have that same feature in future products. And you may discover that the feature is actually more difficult to support and engineer than you'd originally thought, so your future products which must include that feature become even harder to make. It pays to think very hard before adding any feature to a product.

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #5,005 of 154,160
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So, I think it’s a comfortable assumption that the switches will stay on the back.

Hi Jason,

I get the rationale behind this and find it compelling.  I agree that much can be done with remote control ('smart') power strips these days.

That said, one thing that might mollify those concerned about power usage would be if Schiit could publish the average power draw when idle in the specs for your products.  That could help people evaluate whether or not purchasing a smart power strip makes sense.

What do you think?

--Ned

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #5,006 of 154,160

@atubbs , you laugh, but there is another direct-to-consumer brand that goes as low as $219. Granted, they are designed in North America, but made in China. I am sure Schiit can build a better quality 2-channel amp for the price I listed, but have it made in California. I bet they can hit something like that. On top of that, I am sure they can make absolute killer amps at $999 (Sleipner) and $2000-$3000 (Odin).

I think I know which brand you speak of because I am considering their "mini" 2 ch amplifier which is not exactly desktop friendly but unless you look at the  Chinese amps from questionable companies i have never heard of there are not many compact amps from companies with a solid reputation and great customer service that will sit on a desktop and leave room for... well stuff that sits on a desk. Unless i find something more suitable that companies amp may be a purchase in the next 2 months, However If there is even a mouses whisper that Schiit is going to release a 2 CH amp in the same price range. I will wait and make do with an amp that takes up my entire desk. I have a Wyrd, Modi, Modi 2 Uber and a Vali on the way. I have looked hard to find companies with the quality, value and service and have very few for the type of product i am looking for.  I have no problem piling more schiit into the mix.

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #5,008 of 154,160

1. Remote control.  Our solution: Still thinking on it, but we hear you. I expect you’ll see a remote from us in the future. But I don’t know what it is yet.

A suggestion: an addon for existing products if possible to address 80% of those needs for remote control.  e.g. remote input selection, remote audio control 

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #5,009 of 154,160

hopefully an upgrade option for those who need this. e.g. if I relocate to Japan with my stuff 

100V won't be part of it, I'm afraid.

Nor will it be an upgrade--it would require casework changes.

Nor can I give a timeframe. May be years.

There are some very good 117V transformers available here, thankfully. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back