Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 9, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #49,141 of 151,181
I love Porcupine Tree. Personally, I can't get past the growling of the Opeth vocalist but I've listened to enough of their music that I hear why, if you like that vocal style, people enjoy them. Do check out Steven Wilson's solo records too. (He's the leader of Porcupine Tree.) Another good Neo prog group is Spock's Beard, especially their first 5 albums. Another recommendation is The Flower Kings from Sweden, although, like Opeth, their vocals can be an acquired taste. Happy listening!

Spock's Beard and The Neal Morse Band are a couple of my favorites in the Genre, I pretty much have their entire catalog(s)...

Aug 9, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #49,142 of 151,181
Any chance we can get a comment from @Jason Stoddard on Bifrost? I know he mentioned a few months back that there would be no more silent changes of the significant variety on Schiit products.

The last 4-5 months I have been hearing lots of rumours and heresay that Bifrost Multibit has undergone an upgrade, and now sounds very close to Gumby. I also see that Bifrost is on backorder in all finishes until Aug 31st. Maybe Jason can give us some insider info or a preview. To quell the conspiracy rumours :grinning:.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #49,143 of 151,181
Haven’t listened to a ton of Opeth, but I really do like the song Demon of the Fall. Girlfriend is out of town during the weekend, so maybe I’ll have a metal binge with the doggo and listen to more of Opeth’s work.

Since you're the only one digging the growls, I'm willing to help you (and your doggo) with a better weekend :D

Aug 9, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #49,144 of 151,181
Death Metal "growl" vocals (AKA Cookie Monster vocals) have been around since the genre first appeared in the early 80's. It may be an acquired taste but many people really think it fits the musical style.

Aug 9, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #49,145 of 151,181
Any chance we can get a comment from @Jason Stoddard on Bifrost? I know he mentioned a few months back that there would be no more silent changes of the significant variety on Schiit products.

The last 4-5 months I have been hearing lots of rumours and heresay that Bifrost Multibit has undergone an upgrade, and now sounds very close to Gumby. I also see that Bifrost is on backorder in all finishes until Aug 31st. Maybe Jason can give us some insider info or a preview. To quell the conspiracy rumours :grinning:.

Funny, what I remember him saying is that all manufacturers make running changes to products, all of the time. :smile_phones:

Aug 9, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #49,146 of 151,181

As usual, there is no conspiracy.

Hopefully we will hit the back-in-stock date.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 9, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #49,147 of 151,181

Ha! I have it on good authority that you folks have been in negotiations with certain Russians about Vacuum tube supplies...

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #49,148 of 151,181
Funny, what I remember him saying is that all manufacturers make running changes to products, all of the time. :smile_phones:

True, and maybe I misremember it, but I coulda swore he said they'd let us know when they made big changes to a product.

For the increased scuttle I've been reading and hearing about Bifrost across the interwebs I was wondering if maybe something major had changed. Up until about roughly March, Bifrost was often compared to modi multibit in terms of construction, filter, sound quality, etc. Now it's being compared to Gumby.

Doesn't hurt to ask.

@Jason Stoddard the only conspiracy you guys are a part of is the one keeping manufacturers of rear power toggle switches in business. :grin:

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #49,149 of 151,181
True, and maybe I misremember it, but I coulda swore he said they'd let us know when they made big changes to a product.

For the increased scuttle I've been reading and hearing about Bifrost across the interwebs I was wondering if maybe something major had changed. Up until about roughly March, Bifrost was often compared to modi multibit in terms of construction, filter, sound quality, etc. Now it's being compared to Gumby.

Doesn't hurt to ask.

@Jason Stoddard the only conspiracy you guys are a part of is the one keeping manufacturers of rear power toggle switches in business. :grin:

Don't diss the toggle switches, I love them.

BTW toggle switches are just toggle switches (not rear toggle switches).

I think Schiit should use them on the front for selector switches more often. Reminds me of the CRM 114.

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #49,151 of 151,181

Waaaiiiitttt....does it strike anyone as a little odd that there seem to never be any conspiracies? Where are all the conspiracies?? It's almost like there's a conspiracy to prevent conspiracies or something...#noconspiraciesisthenewconspiracy

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #49,152 of 151,181
Personally, I hope (and think) Jason understands I don't believe he is part of any conspiracy.

I think that it's easier for him to say there is no conspiracy then talk about x y z parts going out of stock or obsolete. And he doesn't want to talk about new products until they are released. Or so he says, but he breaks this rule (his own from a previous chapter) periodically..

That or maybe he's bored of my repeated calls for previews or comments. (It's probably this, hell I'm bored with me)

Aug 9, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #49,155 of 151,181
I'm not a fan of Jinjer, but Tatiana is a beast of a singer, truly impressive.

LOL, looks the band itself isn't enamored of the growl any longer: https://metalwani.com/2019/08/mikae...-opeth-to-bring-back-heavy-guitar-growls.html

It's not the band, but Mikael himself. He is the brain behind the band and responsible for I don't know... 98% of the creative process. In fact, except for Martin Mendez (the bass player), members come and go and the quality remains the same because of Akerfeldt.

As much as I love growls, I love more the fact Mikael hates to be doing the same over and over and is willing to take new paths. It's to me one of the key elements that defines a great progressive musician.

But it's true that there are a lot of Opeth fans that have been pissed since four albums ago, when Mikael decided to say goodbye to the most extreme metal side of his musical persona.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back