Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 8, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #49,111 of 150,665
On Amazon, this is the latest release-- Jan 1 2019 https://music.amazon.com/albums/B07TJT4598

The official Opeth's webpage states it will be released on September, 27th. When I click on your link it appears the same date, so I don't know.

Does Opeth have any instrumentals by chance. 15 seconds into the first track of ghost reveries and I can say the way I feel about that "singing" is how Ableza feels about country twang.

If you're not used to growling, your initial reaction is pretty common. It happened to me too but after reading in every damn forum (back in the time) "Opeth is the best metal band ever!!!" I just continued listening the album until I get used to that vocal style and sooner than I expected I was totally hooked. Maybe you should try that approach.

If that doesn't work, Opeth already has released four albums with zero growling (Damnation, Heritage, Pale Communion, Sorceress)...

Answering your question: no, Opeth has some instrumental works here and there but are very brief and they act more link an interlude between songs (songs with vocals I mean). Now... in a lot of their songs there are long passages that are instrumentals, and they kick ass, but as I said earlier, you need to give the album a chance (if you liked the other bands you mentioned, you should be able to "tolerate" Opeth. You're just suffering from the shock of being exposed to growling :D).

Aug 8, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #49,112 of 150,665
Interesting. The last product I bought on Amazon said "sold by XYZ, fulfilled by Amazon." It arrived the next day. Gotta be the same thing.
Please do your chapter Jason, if you have time. I, for one, as a consumer am interested.
Fulfilled by Amazon actually works quite well for me. When you have to make a return it goes back to Amazon, they deal with it. Amazon tends to be more forgiving and prompt with refunds and all that versus a third party which normally requires you to ship the gear to them and examine it before giving you a refund.

An example, I purcahsed some vinyl. Came scratched to hell. I had to contact the seller to return this which took a day delay to hear back from them. Then he suggested I wash the record. I wasn't having that but that delayed it another day. Then he told me to mail it back on my dime which I did. It took four days for it to arrive. Then he sat around for several more days to get a refund. Finally after two weeks since I got it, I got my refund.

Compare that to "fulfilled by Amazon": Here I tell them it's damaged and they pay for the shipping back. Then theyrefund me the it is in the mail or at least within a few days when they receive it. Now I can even take it to the local Kohl's store without bothering to pack it and they will do it all for me.

Aug 8, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #49,113 of 150,665
Good advice @Oveja Negra, and a cool thing about Opeth is they do have non-growling albums now (as you wrote above).
See, I knew it to be true, mates ... just get the dude started about his favorite band and let him run :)

Aug 8, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #49,114 of 150,665
Fulfilled by Amazon actually works quite well for me. When you have to make a return it goes back to Amazon, they deal with it. Amazon tends to be more forgiving and prompt with refunds and all that versus a third party which normally requires you to ship the gear to them and examine it before giving you a refund.

An example, I purcahsed some vinyl. Came scratched to hell. I had to contact the seller to return this which took a day delay to hear back from them. Then he suggested I wash the record. I wasn't having that but that delayed it another day. Then he told me to mail it back on my dime which I did. It took four days for it to arrive. Then he sat around for several more days to get a refund. Finally after two weeks since I got it, I got my refund.

Compare that to "fulfilled by Amazon": Here I tell them it's damaged and they pay for the shipping back. Then theyrefund me the it is in the mail or at least within a few days when they receive it. Now I can even take it to the local Kohl's store without bothering to pack it and they will do it all for me.
Ugh, a rough story there ...
I am a fan of Amazon, and a Prime member. I don't use the free music or any of that, but the free 2-day shipping is certainly addicting. I can use my Discover Card reward money to pay for CDs ... sweet. Free music :)

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #49,115 of 150,665
The official Opeth's webpage states it will be released on September, 27th. When I click on your link it appears the same date, so I don't know.

If you're not used to growling, your initial reaction is pretty common. It happened to me too but after reading in every damn forum (back in the time) "Opeth is the best metal band ever!!!" I just continued listening the album until I get used to that vocal style and sooner than I expected I was totally hooked. Maybe you should try that approach.

If that doesn't work, Opeth already has released four albums with zero growling (Damnation, Heritage, Pale Communion, Sorceress)...

Answering your question: no, Opeth has some instrumental works here and there but are very brief and they act more link an interlude between songs (songs with vocals I mean). Now... in a lot of their songs there are long passages that are instrumentals, and they kick ass, but as I said earlier, you need to give the album a chance (if you liked the other bands you mentioned, you should be able to "tolerate" Opeth. You're just suffering from the shock of being exposed to growling :D).

I will have to check out other albums and songs then, I like to keep an open mind.

Aug 8, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #49,116 of 150,665
I couldn't agree more. I also let those cable discussions pass, because participating is pointless. And indeed, I have no reason to visit those "audio science" bois. The problem with "audio science" is this, in my opinion:

REAL science works more or less like this:
1. Scientist makes an observation.
2. Proper measurements are made to clearly describe the observation.
3. Scientist tries to explain the observation in line with current scientific theories.
4. If the explanation is satisfactory, it stops here.
5. If it is not, the scientist looks into better/different types of measurements.
6. If that doesn't explain the observation, the scientist looks into modifying the theory, or to come up with a complete new theory that explains the observation. Obviously, the new theory will only be accepted when it can be supported by experiments.

This is how we went from Newton to Einstein, etc.

So a real scientist is infinitely curious. And he knows very well that being "right" today doesn't mean anything tomorrow. Science evolves. And you can only be successful in this field if you have a truly open mind, if you are open to new observations that challenge trusted theories.

But these audio "science" adepts stop at point 3. And if the explanation is not satisfactory, they don't doubt the measurements. They don't look for better theories. They simply say "your observation is wrong, you can't hear a difference because I can't measure it". That is not real science, it's a farce.

Great moments in Science History:
The Michelson-Morely experiment.
1. Let's measure the ether!
2. That's funny.....
5. Let's make a bigger instrument.
2. That's funny....

And you forgot one of the most important steps:
7. Indignant peers try to disprove results, get identical results.
8. The mainstream adopts the new knowledge.

Aug 8, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #49,117 of 150,665
I am not sure if this is a good place for music recommendations, I do not listen to a lot of country and this is a bit more like folk in places. An older album, and a two time Grammy winner. The back up musicians on this album are amazing. Nanci is joined by or backed by Bob Dylan, John Prine, Arlo Guthrie, Guy Clark, Alison Krauss, Chet Atkins, Leo Kotke, etc.

512K46tMHbL._SX355_.jpg

Love this album!

Aug 8, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #49,118 of 150,665
Aug 8, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #49,119 of 150,665
Ugh, a rough story there ...
I am a fan of Amazon, and a Prime member. I don't use the free music or any of that, but the free 2-day shipping is certainly addicting. I can use my Discover Card reward money to pay for CDs ... sweet. Free music :)

Haha, so I'm not the only one who does this. The only thing I have used my Discover Cashback on for years now is to go on Amazon and buy CDs.

Aug 8, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #49,120 of 150,665
@Jason Stoddard said: "With respect to "portable", what we're working on is one box the size of a Jotunheim that would allow a pro to connect one AC cord and one USB and not have to carry around a stack of speaker amp/DAC/preamp. Personally, I don't see how you get a battery version of something that runs several amps on musical peaks. Even something like a 10000mAH lithium cell would last for minutes in normal use. But I could be missing something."

I believe the Nectar portable fuel cell idea flopped, so it might be technology you could grab cheaply and scale up to a 10A supply. :ksc75smile:

For that kind of power perpetuum mobile is the optimum solution... I hear the best ones can be found around Geneva. On your side of the pond John Adams used one in his Fast Machine. :floatsmile:

Aug 8, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #49,121 of 150,665
My Oppo BDP-93 is taking a dump on me and gonna need a new transport soon.....(Quietly whispers... *any news on the Schiit transport?*)

No intel there, but I for one would prefer a transport in one of the smaller form factors. A CD transport does not need to be 17” wide...

I’ve been looking at the Cyrus cd-t, the Pro-ject (I am amused that a company who made its rep with record players sells a CD transport that is more expensive than any of its turntables…), CEC and others, and the last thing I want in a cd transport is another anonymous black box full of empty space. A nice Schiit case with a slot cut in it (or top load; whatever) and a few discreet buttons would be a fabulous thing.

Aug 8, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #49,122 of 150,665
Haha, so I'm not the only one who does this. The only thing I have used my Discover Cashback on for years now is to go on Amazon and buy CDs.
For sure! It's a great way to spend the cash back rewards.
More fun than groceries :)

Aug 8, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #49,123 of 150,665
Some great music in the messages above. Thanks! Here's another one that may ignite some interest.
Soen - From Sweden - and the drummer is ex-Opeth and a key force in the band
This is the title track from their latest album, Lotus. Great production too.

Oh, and Nightwish, yeah!

Aug 8, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #49,124 of 150,665
Discovering new artists is one of my favourite things in the world. That silly grin in the face when you discover a new gem is priceless :D

and yes!!, Porcupine Tree is a fantastic band, much more rock oriented (for those who aren't into metal) with some Pink Floyd influence (in their first albums). Also, make yourself a favor and listen to everything Steven Wilson has released. He is the singer, guitar player and brain behind Porcupine Tree (it's basically his project). Some Steven Wilson tracks to check to see if it appeals to you...

Something not that "dark" and more pop (fun fact: this video was shot pretty close to where I live here in Chile :) )...

Another progressive suggestions:

- Riverside (great band from Poland):

Lunatic Soul (a solo project from Mariusz Duda, vocalist and bassist from Riverside)

O.S.I. (no, it has nothing to do with networks :D)

You beat me to this, I have pretty much every one of these CD's...

I've been a Prog fan since the early 90's and it has really introduced me to some amazing artists. My current favorite obsession is Theocracy, they remind me of Helloween and Dream theater with some of their Epic songs...

Aug 8, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #49,125 of 150,665
Anyone who wonders what it's like to work on an American government contract really needs to watch that, which gives a real flavor for it. From what I have read elsewhere, Tom Kelley was a pretty good guy to work for.

‘I felt exactly how you would feel if you were getting ready to launch and knew you were sitting on top of 2 million parts — all built by the lowest bidder on a government contract.’
Attributed to John Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back