Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 8, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #49,096 of 150,671
Welcome to the prog-metal rabbit hole. You have a many discoveries ahead. Are you familiar with this site? Lots of fun exploration to be had...
http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

I recommend prog-metallers Leprous (Norway), they are also growl-free IIRC. Also Cynic (US) :grin:

I don't mind growls at all, and for the likeminded I'd wholeheartedly recommend the quite proggy tech-death metal band Gorod (France) . Yes, they DO mix samba rythms and metal guitar, and all other kinds of weird schiit...

Aug 8, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #49,097 of 150,671
I also enjoy the music of Nightwish, a symphonic metal band from Finland. Their lead singer is Floor Jansen who's classically trained ... her voice is sublime :)

Heresy! The band stopped being relevant after Tarja Turunen left it.

Aug 8, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #49,098 of 150,671
You bet! We have the DVD set. Last time we watched, the segment of designing the LEM blew me away ... technical thinking outside the box!

Anyone who wonders what it's like to work on an American government contract really needs to watch that, which gives a real flavor for it. From what I have read elsewhere, Tom Kelley was a pretty good guy to work for.

Aug 8, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #49,099 of 150,671
Does Opeth have any instrumentals by chance. 15 seconds into the first track of ghost reveries and I can say the way I feel about that "singing" is how Ableza feels about country twang.

And this is from a guy who used to thoroughly enjoy Godsmack, disturbed, Slipknot, etc

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #49,100 of 150,671
BTW - Jason stated in a previous post that with the development of Nexus, a balanced Loki may be a possibility.

Aug 8, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #49,102 of 150,671
Until last night, I was unfamiliar with Opeth, and Porcupine Tree. I mention them together because Amazon Music Unlimited suggested that if I was listening to Opeth, I might like Porcupine Tree. I spent 1977-1995 as a devoted Grateful Dead follower and fan. I really didn't listen to much else, with the exception of Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin.
When I began my journey as the "Affordable Audiophile", I opened up the doors to all Music--some of which I only listened to a small sample and have not returned (Mushroomhead, a prime example). My quest to find new material to listen to while evaluating and reviewing has proven to be the most difficult aspect of this endeavor, so I am open to suggestions. I reserve the right to reject some twangy Country, and I am still no fan of Opera, but the horizons of EDM and various other genres have made my job easier.

Try 'Take Out The Gunman' by Chevelle from their La Gargola album. One of my recent faves..

Aug 8, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #49,103 of 150,671
Aug 8, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #49,104 of 150,671
Try 'Take Out The Gunman' by Chevelle from their La Gargola album. One of my recent faves..

With Amazon Music Unlimited there is literally too much Music available for a human to consume. I am listening to Chevelle now, and I swear them is messin' with the stream at Amazon.

My Valhalla is at 1 o'clock, where I would be at 3 o'clock with a file native to Music Box V2 (my Music Server). Both files would be fed into the ModiMB and then into Valhalla 2, the Amazon stream is hotter than the Audacious Music player on the same file.

Aug 8, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #49,105 of 150,671
With Amazon Music Unlimited there is literally too much Music available for a human to consume. I am listening to Chevelle now, and I swear them is messin' with the stream at Amazon.

My Valhalla is at 1 o'clock, where I would be at 3 o'clock with a file native to Music Box V2 (my Music Server). Both files would be fed into the ModiMB and then into Valhalla 2, the Amazon stream is hotter than the Audacious Music player on the same file.

Chevelle is best with '52 Foton 6H8C's. That's probably your problem...bet you're using like a '53 or '54, aren't you? :wink:

Aug 8, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #49,106 of 150,671
Actually, they are playing through the 1960 Brimar CV4033 in the Valhalla 2.
The Fotons (Mine being October 1951) never really worked out on the Valhalla. I just don't think it was intended to play anything but the nine-pin tubes.

These Brimar have been A/B'd with the New Prod. JJ 12au7, and the "unknown" 6DJ8-- and neither lasted an entire song... As soon as the Brimars were back in place, the Music came back.
I retired the stock tubes to the Valhalla box up on the shelf.
Now @Ripper2860 is venturing into uncharted territory...Brimar CV4034, but I am quite happy with my choice.
I am in a HOLD position in the volatile Tube marketplace...

Aug 8, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #49,107 of 150,671
To clarify: we aren't doing anything for Raal. This is not a Raal-sanctioned product. This is just us playing around.

If something comes of it, it will be specific to ribbon headphones. It will use a 4-pin male Neutrik like Raal as its sole output. It won't be for use with regular headphones. I'm not going to get into all the technical reasons why it would be a pain to make it a general-use product, because, again, this is not a Raal product, and I don't talk about other manufacturers' internal stuff.

With respect to "portable", what we're working on is one box the size of a Jotunheim that would allow a pro to connect one AC cord and one USB and not have to carry around a stack of speaker amp/DAC/preamp. Personally, I don't see how you get a battery version of something that runs several amps on musical peaks. Even something like a 10000mAH lithium cell would last for minutes in normal use. But I could be missing something.
How about a pic? :wink: :wink:

Aug 8, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #49,108 of 150,671
Until last night, I was unfamiliar with Opeth, and Porcupine Tree. I mention them together because Amazon Music Unlimited suggested that if I was listening to Opeth, I might like Porcupine Tree. I spent 1977-1995 as a devoted Grateful Dead follower and fan. I really didn't listen to much else, with the exception of Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin.
When I began my journey as the "Affordable Audiophile", I opened up the doors to all Music--some of which I only listened to a small sample and have not returned (Mushroomhead, a prime example). My quest to find new material to listen to while evaluating and reviewing has proven to be the most difficult aspect of this endeavor, so I am open to suggestions. I reserve the right to reject some twangy Country, and I am still no fan of Opera, but the horizons of EDM and various other genres have made my job easier.

Discovering new artists is one of my favourite things in the world. That silly grin in the face when you discover a new gem is priceless :D

and yes!!, Porcupine Tree is a fantastic band, much more rock oriented (for those who aren't into metal) with some Pink Floyd influence (in their first albums). Also, make yourself a favor and listen to everything Steven Wilson has released. He is the singer, guitar player and brain behind Porcupine Tree (it's basically his project). Some Steven Wilson tracks to check to see if it appeals to you...

Something not that "dark" and more pop (fun fact: this video was shot pretty close to where I live here in Chile :) )...

Another progressive suggestions:

- Riverside (great band from Poland):

Lunatic Soul (a solo project from Mariusz Duda, vocalist and bassist from Riverside)

O.S.I. (no, it has nothing to do with networks :D)

Aug 8, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #49,109 of 150,671
@Jason Stoddard said: "With respect to "portable", what we're working on is one box the size of a Jotunheim that would allow a pro to connect one AC cord and one USB and not have to carry around a stack of speaker amp/DAC/preamp. Personally, I don't see how you get a battery version of something that runs several amps on musical peaks. Even something like a 10000mAH lithium cell would last for minutes in normal use. But I could be missing something."

I believe the Nectar portable fuel cell idea flopped, so it might be technology you could grab cheaply and scale up to a 10A supply. :ksc75smile:

Aug 8, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #49,110 of 150,671
Hmm, I don't know how reliable those posts are. AFAIK the album will be released next month. Who knows... maybe it was indeed already leaked, but I'm not aware of that.
Yeah, seems that Sept 27 is the album's release date, in both Swedish and English. Cool, eh?
Someone else here posted a release already took place, that was one single song.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back