Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 8, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #49,126 of 149,269
You beat me to this, I have pretty much every one of these CD's...

I've been a Prog fan since the early 90's and it has really introduced me to some amazing artists. My current favorite obsession is Theocracy, they remind me of Helloween and Dream theater with some of their Epic songs...

See? this is what I love about recommending music. I wasn't aware of Theocracy, so I'll proceed to investigate about them :D thanks for mentioning them.

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #49,127 of 149,269
Angry Metal Guys website is a fantastic source for discovering new metal. Specially check out there best of the year articles where the various contributors offer up their Top 10s.

https://www.angrymetalguy.com/

I have spent the better part of 2 years blowing through those lists (and riding the tangents) and have added so many new bands it is dumbfounding, especially being I have been an extreme metal head for years.

Two lesser known bands I will throw out there that MUST listens are Khemmis and Wilderun.

https://khemmis.bandcamp.com/

https://wilderun.bandcamp.com/

Aug 9, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #49,128 of 149,269
‘I felt exactly how you would feel if you were getting ready to launch and knew you were sitting on top of 2 million parts — all built by the lowest bidder on a government contract.’
Attributed to John Glenn

Makes me think of this:

But my source came along a lot later than John Glen, so I think you win primary source for the quote :wink:

Aug 9, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #49,129 of 149,269
Some great music in the messages above. Thanks! Here's another one that may ignite some interest.
Soen - From Sweden - and the drummer is ex-Opeth and a key force in the band
This is the title track from their latest album, Lotus. Great production too.

Oh, and Nightwish, yeah!

Yeah, Soen is great. Just started out on them.
Did I mention Haken, btw? Great stuff.

Aug 9, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #49,131 of 149,269
Until last night, I was unfamiliar with Opeth, and Porcupine Tree. I mention them together because Amazon Music Unlimited suggested that if I was listening to Opeth, I might like Porcupine Tree.

I love Porcupine Tree. Personally, I can't get past the growling of the Opeth vocalist but I've listened to enough of their music that I hear why, if you like that vocal style, people enjoy them. Do check out Steven Wilson's solo records too. (He's the leader of Porcupine Tree.) Another good Neo prog group is Spock's Beard, especially their first 5 albums. Another recommendation is The Flower Kings from Sweden, although, like Opeth, their vocals can be an acquired taste. Happy listening!

Aug 9, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #49,133 of 149,269
The official Opeth's webpage states it will be released on September, 27th. When I click on your link it appears the same date, so I don't know.

If you're not used to growling, your initial reaction is pretty common. It happened to me too but after reading in every damn forum (back in the time) "Opeth is the best metal band ever!!!" I just continued listening the album until I get used to that vocal style and sooner than I expected I was totally hooked. Maybe you should try that approach.

If that doesn't work, Opeth already has released four albums with zero growling (Damnation, Heritage, Pale Communion, Sorceress)...

Answering your question: no, Opeth has some instrumental works here and there but are very brief and they act more link an interlude between songs (songs with vocals I mean). Now... in a lot of their songs there are long passages that are instrumentals, and they kick ass, but as I said earlier, you need to give the album a chance (if you liked the other bands you mentioned, you should be able to "tolerate" Opeth. You're just suffering from the shock of being exposed to growling :D).

Thanks for all the suggestions! Like @Rensek I'm not much into the guttural screaming thing which was the first thing I got with the first Opeth I pulled up. Some of what you've posted above is quite nice though, so thanks! And I'm sure a snide comment will appear shortly regarding my comment above and my Marilyn Manson habit, but I don't even like his songs that are chock full of screaming. For anyone that hasn't ever listened to Manson, here's a few to try. But if raunchy, irreverent lyrics are objectionable, then don't. Note that these sound equally good with any '51 - '55 Foton. Pretty good with a '57 or '58. But don't bother with any '60's or later. :grinning:

upload_2019-8-9_9-13-22.png

upload_2019-8-9_9-14-37.png

upload_2019-8-9_9-15-36.png

Aug 9, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #49,134 of 149,269
Makes me think of this:

But my source came along a lot later than John Glenn, so I think you win primary source for the quote :wink:

Way to go, @audio philestine, you beat me to it. I don't remember John Glenn saying it, but certainly do remember Rockhound aka Steve Buscemi.
Every time I watch that movie again, I'm amazed at how good it is. "Talk about the Wrong Stuff!" :)

Aug 9, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #49,135 of 149,269
Haven’t listened to a ton of Opeth, but I really do like the song Demon of the Fall. Girlfriend is out of town during the weekend, so maybe I’ll have a metal binge with the doggo and listen to more of Opeth’s work.

Aug 9, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #49,136 of 149,269
Since the topic is kinda still metal music, let me offer a resource. Head-Fi member @Zyklonius is a metal expert and current in all genres.
He spent a weekend on PM introducing them to me, a few years ago. Very helpful.

Aug 9, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #49,137 of 149,269
What I respect about metal is the commitment. But I like to groove. So I’m particular about it

Aug 9, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #49,138 of 149,269
Thanks for all the suggestions! Like @Rensek I'm not much into the guttural screaming thing which was the first thing I got with the first Opeth I pulled up. Some of what you've posted above is quite nice though, so thanks! And I'm sure a snide comment will appear shortly regarding my comment above and my Marilyn Manson habit, but I don't even like his songs that are chock full of screaming. For anyone that hasn't ever listened to Manson, here's a few to try. But if raunchy, irreverent lyrics are objectionable, then don't. Note that these sound equally good with any '51 - '55 Foton. Pretty good with a '57 or '58. But don't bother with any '60's or later. :grinning:

Hell's ducks! Now I am supposed to match tubes with particular songs? I will check out the Manson as a public service but I doubt I will like it. I agree on the Opeth even though it irks me to no end if @bcowen gets something right. :ksc75smile:

Aug 9, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #49,139 of 149,269
Hell's ducks! Now I am supposed to match tubes with particular songs?

Well, um, yeah. Thought you already knew that. That's why Al Gore invented socket savers. :slight_smile:

I agree on the Opeth even though it irks me to no end if @bcowen gets something right. :ksc75smile:

Something about blind pigs comes to mind here, though I can't remember the whole saying. :stuck_out_tongue:

Aug 9, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #49,140 of 149,269
Well, um, yeah. Thought you already knew that. That's why Al Gore invented socket savers. :slight_smile:

Something about blind pigs comes to mind here, though I can't remember the whole saying. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think the saying is " Even a blind pig buys a steak dinner now and then." With a suitable bottle of wine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back