GearMe

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
post-14932740
Post #46,157 of 66,325

mp29k

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Yup, it is a safe assumption I have an Yggy. Yeah, I leave it on so I do not have to put up with grainy warmup artifacts present in DAC chips. If you want to listen as I do, feel free to do that. If you don't then don't. In any case, it is exactly none of my business what you do or don't do. I just cannot believe how many posts and waste of bandwidth over what others should or shouldn't hear based on their own opinion. Since it is none of my biz what anyone should hear or how they should listen, I am entitled to no opinion on how their stuff should sound. Seriously guys, just enjoy your gear, whether ours our others, with or without warmup. This is supposed to be a friggin' hobby. Last time I checked, hobbies were to be enjoyed. If you aren't enjoying it, switch to stamp collecting or something.
We enjoy it, Mike, otherwise we wouldn’t be here. Can you set the record straight, though? Should we expect the sound to change on your DACs over an extended period? 1-2 hours, 1-2 weeks, 1-2 months? Longer? 1-2 hours makes sense. Longer than that seems like a design flaw that makes me not want to consider DACs beyond the Bimby I own. Bimby stabilizes within an hour, like any other hifi gear I’ve ever owned. The claims that Gumby and Yggy keep improving across months and years (which is what many of your users claim with a straight face, and actually get touchy when questioned) really stretch the realms of credibility. So as the designer, what say you?! I’ll eat crow if you can honestly say that is a reasonable expectation.

Last edited:
post-14932752
Post #46,158 of 66,325

Robert Padgett

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Yup, it is a safe assumption I have a Yggy. Yeah, I leave it on so I do not have to put up with grainy warmup artifacts present in DAC chips. If you want to listen as I do, feel free to do that. If you don't then don't. In any case, it is exactly none of my business what you do or doesn't do. I just cannot believe how many posts and waste of bandwidth over what others should or shouldn't hear based on their own opinion. Since it is none of my biz what anyone should hear or how they should listen, I am entitled to no opinion on how their stuff should sound. Seriously guys, just enjoy your gear, whether ours our others, with or without a warmup. This is supposed to be a friggin' hobby. Last time I checked, hobbies were to be enjoyed. If you aren't enjoying it, switch to stamp collecting or something.
Thank you, Sir. My Modi MB is on twenty-four-seven, and I have never found any difference. I will say that I think your multibit and filters get more music from a 16/44 file, than any other DAC in its price-point. Enjoy the Music, Live the Music.

post-14932776
Post #46,159 of 66,325

ScubaMan2017

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
...so, the thread got neurotic enough to have @Baldr weigh in. Ah well. :triportsad:

I don't want to waste ZENDESK bandwidth with the following question: why are there two orange indicator lamps (LED?) beside my Valhalla 2's 6N1P tube-sockets? The orange glow attracted my spouse's' attention... so that's good. Other than as an ornament, do they serve a purpose?

When I power down my new toy, the white LED slowly uses up the energy from the capacitors. The orange lamps go dim immediately. Purpose?

Last edited:
post-14932822
Post #46,160 of 66,325

US Blues

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Some of you fellas wasted more energy arguing about this Schiit than my always-on Yggy 2 used last week when I was away on a biz trip.

For the record, my Yggy 2 sounds great even for NHL Playoffs. Any DAC that can make the sound of Doc Emerick's voice tolerable for a couple of hours is worth is weight in unobtanium. :smiley_cat:

post-14932828
Post #46,161 of 66,325

yonson

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Some of you fellas wasted more energy arguing about this Schiit than my always-on Yggy 2 used last week when I was away on a biz trip.

For the record, my Yggy 2 sounds great even for NHL Playoffs. Any DAC that can make the sound of Doc Emerick's voice tolerable for a couple of hours is worth is weight in unobtanium. :smiley_cat:
You should give them a listen in surround sound then!

Reactions: US Blues
post-14932838
Post #46,162 of 66,325

US Blues

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
You should give them a listen in surround sound then!
Yggy puts me right in the rink, the retrieval and presentation of spatial cues is excellent! Save for the numbnuts that insist on pounding the mic'd glass all game long.

Reactions: audio philestine
post-14932854
Post #46,163 of 66,325

jimmers

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
... why are there two orange indicator lamps (LED?) beside my Valhalla 2's 6N1P tube-sockets? The orange glow attracted my spouse's' attention... so that's good. Other than as an ornament, do they serve a purpose? ...
The LED forward voltage drop is often used for biasing, maybe biasing in a constant current source for the tube in this case :thinking:

Last edited:
post-14932923
Post #46,164 of 66,325

ScubaMan2017

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
The LED forward voltage drop is often used for biasing, maybe biasing in a constant current source for the tube in this case :thinking:
Interesting idea, @jimmers . They're both equal brightness. No blinking codes (Sierra Charlie Hotel India India Tango [?]). My gut's telling me it might be used as a diagnostic tool during assembly or QA/QC (@SchiitFerBrainz might have noted that in one of his YouTube How-It's-Made videos). With other tube amplifiers, I read about users having to bias-their-tubes. I'll dig around earlier in this thread and see if Mr. Stoddard ever used the term 'biasing amplifiers'. I'll dig around (while I avoid marking student work). :ksc75smile:

post-14932990
Post #46,166 of 66,325

jimmers

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Interesting idea, @jimmers... I'll dig around earlier in this thread and see if Mr. Stoddard ever used the term 'biasing amplifiers'. I'll dig around (while I avoid marking student work). :ksc75smile:
Mr. Stoddard uses a LED to bias the output transistors of the Coaster amp.
If you look at the photo of the Valhalla PCB you will see a transistor and resistors near the amber LED, that's what has me thinking it is for a constant current plate load. :sunglasses:

post-14933009
Post #46,167 of 66,325

earnmyturns

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
My Bimby seems to “warm up” in about 15-20 minutes like most components. I find the continuous uptime argument to be hogwash personally. My system is sensitive enough to hear distinct differences in interconnects, speaker cables, and some power mods, and I can’t hear any change in Bimby beyond the normal warm up time of any other hifi equipment. Maybe Gumby and Yggy are different, but I doubt it.
Yggdrasil, both A1 and A2, are definitely different from original Bifrost Multibit, which I've owned too. I'd say that after the initial long break-in, you'll need a 2-3 days after a shutdown to cold for them to sound their best. I leave my A2 on unless we are leaving the house empty for a long trip, in which case all the electronics are turned off.

post-14933016
Post #46,168 of 66,325

earnmyturns

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Exactly, specially when the DAC chip is also used (supposedly) for medical purposes.
MRI machines have a lot of other temperature-control needs -- very sensitive electronics in the neighborhood of a liquid-helium-filled cryostat -- and they cost megabucks, so I doubt that their DAC chips are sitting there at the mercy of room temperature...

Reactions: Mike-WI and thebmc
post-14933077
Post #46,169 of 66,325

ImagesbyMurray

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Seriously guys, just enjoy your gear, whether ours or others, with or without warmup. This is supposed to be a friggin' hobby. Last time I checked, hobbies were to be enjoyed. If you aren't enjoying it, switch to stamp collecting or something.
Touche' - My experience with the Modi3 was initially very positive, after an hour of warmup, loudly proclaiming to my deaf wife I'd made a "great purchase decision". I then spent the following week mentally A/B-ing with familiar and loved music.... Of course the Modi in the course of "burn-in" sounded "better and better....." (further justifying my wisdom). I'm running volume a bit higher that normal, and she certainly noticed *that* (most deaf are not entirely deaf, and nearly all have physical sensitivities to musics the rest of us cannot appreciate).

So when did mental A/B mode end? Schiit, I don't know .... I'm just enjoying my system, scratch that, my *music* more than before. Cynthia still thinks it's "too loud" - she's probably right

/john

Last edited:
post-14933092
Post #46,170 of 66,325

Oveja Negra

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
MRI machines have a lot of other temperature-control needs -- very sensitive electronics in the neighborhood of a liquid-helium-filled cryostat -- and they cost megabucks, so I doubt that their DAC chips are sitting there at the mercy of room temperature...
Yeah, I doubt it too, considering a person's life could depend on it. My comment was made in jest regarding the affirmation by some guys about the chip's crappy performance when it's powered and the need of an insane amount of time in order to get the best of it.

But I'm not going to touch the subject again, it seems a good amount of people here think it's too controversial? (for me, discussing stuff like this is part of the fun of a forum, but whatever) :)

Regards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 22, Guests: 38)