Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 2, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #46,126 of 149,114
The psychology of this makes me giggle. Basically, you are creating confirmation bias by stating unless you are a connoisseur you might not hear it. Who is going to admit, or will want to admit to not being a connoisseur after spending $2400 on a DAC. I have to say, if this rumor about Yggy is true, it definitely makes me NOT want one. I have needed to unplug my Bimby out of necessity a few times, and if I had to wait 2 months for it to come back to it's "best self", then I would not be a happy camper.

The Yggdrasil needs a couple of days, not months, to sounds its best. The Gungnir Multibit takes about a day to sound its best and the multibit Bifrost and Modi take a fews hours.

May 2, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #46,127 of 149,114
The Yggdrasil needs a couple of days, not months, to sounds its best. The Gungnir Multibit takes about a day to sound its best and the multibit Bifrost and Modi take a fews hours.
We aren’t too far off then. I’m questioning the claims of “months” for the Yggy. I even read somewhere where someone had the audacity to claim “just wait until it hits the two year mark”. I think these comments are detrimental to sales of the device. If simple uptime defines continuous improvement through several months in a DAC (regardless of local temperature or even humidity conditions), it points to a design flaw, not a feature. It’s become almost like a badge of honor for folks, maybe attributable to how long they’ve had their Yggy, to speak of “how much better your Yggy will be in a month or two”. It begins to feel and sound like a cult, rather than a hobby. I’m ranting, but it’s something that’s bothered me for sometime and I couldn’t hold my tongue any longer.

May 2, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #46,128 of 149,114
We aren’t too far off then. I’m questioning the claims of “months” for the Yggy. I even read somewhere where someone had the audacity to claim “just wait until it hits the two year mark”. I think these comments are detrimental to sales of the device. If simple uptime defines continuous improvement through several months in a DAC (regardless of local temperature or even humidity conditions), it points to a design flaw, not a feature. It’s become almost like a badge of honor for folks, maybe attributable to how long they’ve had their Yggy, to speak of “how much better your Yggy will be in a month or two”. It begins to feel and sound like a cult, rather than a hobby. I’m ranting, but it’s something that’s bothered me for sometime and I couldn’t hold my tongue any longer.

Sure man, Its all about your satisfaction. If you are happy, thats it. If you see one product you already love to improve over and over, i dunno what is bad in that.

May 2, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #46,129 of 149,114
We aren’t too far off then.

Well, we are if you think the continuous up time thing is hogwash. It really is best to just leave the DACs on all the time. Especially Yggdrasil and Gungnir Multibit.

May 2, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #46,130 of 149,114
LOL. every instrument has its resolution limitation I think. We are looking for that snare on a drum to decay slowly. That kind of resolution is little too much to ask from a MRI machine. It gives you a black and white 2D image; which is (I think; and I am not an expert here) created from multiple exposure from different perspectives. So, basic physics might be same on what the chips are doing but the expectation is different. And dont take me wrong out of the box Yggy 2 sounds superb. Just that it does not have that sweetness and real-ness (if I may say) that it will reach after 2 months. If you have a revealing enough system (headphone specially) you will certainly notice if you are a connoisseur.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dispute that a DAC improves over a period of time (a slight improvement over a very brief period of time). Measurements do show that, what it's not conclusive is if that improvement actually makes an audible difference.

Anyways, I'm just laughing at the ridiculous claims about the need of having Yggdrasil (or any other DAC) on for days, weeks or even months in order to be able to truly enjoy its best performance. Also, when people say the difference is like night and day (yes... I've read fellas claiming that), well... this is my reaction...

jJmiG2h.gif

I just read the first page of the datasheet posted by Scott. The DAC is aimed at: Medical instrumentation, Test and measurement, Industrial Control, High-end scientific and aerospace instrumentation.

Does anyone here think people in those fields would be ok with getting subpar results if the damn chip hasn't been warmed up for many hours, days, weeks or months?

May 2, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #46,131 of 149,114
Don't get me wrong, I don't dispute that a DAC improves over a period of time (a slight improvement over a very brief period of time). Measurements do show that, what it's not conclusive is if that improvement actually makes an audible difference.

Anyways, I'm just laughing at the ridiculous claims about the need of having Yggdrasil (or any other DAC) on for days, weeks or even months in order to be able to truly enjoy its best performance. Also, when people say the difference is like night and day (yes... I've read fellas claiming that), well... this is my reaction...

jJmiG2h.gif

I just read the first page of the datasheet posted by Scott. The DAC is aimed at: Medical instrumentation, Test and measurement, Industrial Control, High-end scientific and aerospace instrumentation.

Does anyone here think people in those fields would be ok with getting subpar results if the damn chip hasn't been warmed up for many hours, days, weeks or months?

Well I dont think measurements can measure your pleasure. haha. If you are happy **** the world. Period.

May 2, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #46,132 of 149,114
May 2, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #46,134 of 149,114
Exactly, specially when the DAC chip is also used (supposedly) for medical purposes.

Does that mean the MRI needs to be turned on two months prior to the moment it will be used, otherwise the results will be like "Hey, don't worry you don't have a tumor in your brain" when in reality the poor guy was indeed suffering from that? What would be the excuse from the docs? "Ooops, sorry... the DAC wasn't warmed up enough"?
They'd stuff them in a temp controlled oven... Analog devices even has a controller:
https://www.analog.com/en/design-ce...-oven-temperature-regulation.html#cc-overview

This is an OCXO, but this exists for dac chips-- a metal can and a heater resister-- you could go to town designing something LOL. You see it in high end oscilloscopes, resistor reference measurement equip, atomic clocks etc.
https://www.digikey.com/en/pdf/c/crystek-corporation/co27vh15de-02-10-000
https://www.mouser.com/Passive-Comp...evices/Oscillators/OCXO-Oscillators/_/N-7jdq1

Bit overkill for an audio dac :D... think we can wait a few hours on a dac that's always left on anyway. -- yggy has an ENOB of 21bits, that's 2,097,152 voltage levels with +- 1 part per million error... no friggin' wonder it's sensitive to temp.

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #46,137 of 149,114
A lot of good comments. Both have start ups for the dsp. The multi-bit DAC chips need to heat up to their ideal operating tempature per spec. And everyone likes their shiit:k701smile:.

I'm still trying to comprehend dac upgrades in the
Schiit line. I recently acquired cd's and wanted to remove some of the artifacts I can hear :ear: in complex music. I was thinking a dac upgrade could give me better results.
Welcome to the thread, @Gazny ! Are you considering ripping those discs onto a computer & then using those to feed your DAC? Or do you feed DACs directly from the CD player?
Interesting question. A lot of different answers on this thread. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

May 2, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #46,138 of 149,114
My DACs sound their best when I'm warmed up. And holding a half-empty beer in my hand.
Let me crack open a Steamwhistle or Brooklyn Lager and get back to you, eh.

May 2, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #46,139 of 149,114
I don't believe that DACs and other digital devices should need more than a few minutes on to sound optimal. It makes no sense to my engineering mind that this is the case. So until you have experienced this I agree that it makes no sense that Dacs like Yggy and Gumby need to be left on.

My Experience tells me differently. Also a friends experience. Both my Rega DAC and Gumby aound optimal after being left on for a few days. I have experienced this repeatedly.

I even sent the Rega DAC to a friend in Louisiana who experienced the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back