Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 2, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #46,157 of 149,268
Yup, it is a safe assumption I have an Yggy. Yeah, I leave it on so I do not have to put up with grainy warmup artifacts present in DAC chips. If you want to listen as I do, feel free to do that. If you don't then don't. In any case, it is exactly none of my business what you do or don't do. I just cannot believe how many posts and waste of bandwidth over what others should or shouldn't hear based on their own opinion. Since it is none of my biz what anyone should hear or how they should listen, I am entitled to no opinion on how their stuff should sound. Seriously guys, just enjoy your gear, whether ours or others, with or without warmup. This is supposed to be a friggin' hobby. Last time I checked, hobbies were to be enjoyed. If you aren't enjoying it, switch to stamp collecting or something.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 2, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #46,159 of 149,268
Yup, it is a safe assumption I have an Yggy. Yeah, I leave it on so I do not have to put up with grainy warmup artifacts present in DAC chips. If you want to listen as I do, feel free to do that. If you don't then don't. In any case, it is exactly none of my business what you do or don't do. I just cannot believe how many posts and waste of bandwidth over what others should or shouldn't hear based on their own opinion. Since it is none of my biz what anyone should hear or how they should listen, I am entitled to no opinion on how their stuff should sound. Seriously guys, just enjoy your gear, whether ours our others, with or without warmup. This is supposed to be a friggin' hobby. Last time I checked, hobbies were to be enjoyed. If you aren't enjoying it, switch to stamp collecting or something.
We enjoy it, Mike, otherwise we wouldn’t be here. Can you set the record straight, though? Should we expect the sound to change on your DACs over an extended period? 1-2 hours, 1-2 weeks, 1-2 months? Longer? 1-2 hours makes sense. Longer than that seems like a design flaw that makes me not want to consider DACs beyond the Bimby I own. Bimby stabilizes within an hour, like any other hifi gear I’ve ever owned. The claims that Gumby and Yggy keep improving across months and years (which is what many of your users claim with a straight face, and actually get touchy when questioned) really stretch the realms of credibility. So as the designer, what say you?! I’ll eat crow if you can honestly say that is a reasonable expectation.

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #46,160 of 149,268
Yup, it is a safe assumption I have a Yggy. Yeah, I leave it on so I do not have to put up with grainy warmup artifacts present in DAC chips. If you want to listen as I do, feel free to do that. If you don't then don't. In any case, it is exactly none of my business what you do or doesn't do. I just cannot believe how many posts and waste of bandwidth over what others should or shouldn't hear based on their own opinion. Since it is none of my biz what anyone should hear or how they should listen, I am entitled to no opinion on how their stuff should sound. Seriously guys, just enjoy your gear, whether ours our others, with or without a warmup. This is supposed to be a friggin' hobby. Last time I checked, hobbies were to be enjoyed. If you aren't enjoying it, switch to stamp collecting or something.

Thank you, Sir. My Modi MB is on twenty-four-seven, and I have never found any difference. I will say that I think your multibit and filters get more music from a 16/44 file, than any other DAC in its price-point. Enjoy the Music, Live the Music.

May 2, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #46,161 of 149,268
...so, the thread got neurotic enough to have @Baldr weigh in. Ah well. :triportsad:

I don't want to waste ZENDESK bandwidth with the following question: why are there two orange indicator lamps (LED?) beside my Valhalla 2's 6N1P tube-sockets? The orange glow attracted my spouse's' attention... so that's good. Other than as an ornament, do they serve a purpose?

When I power down my new toy, the white LED slowly uses up the energy from the capacitors. The orange lamps go dim immediately. Purpose?

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #46,162 of 149,268
Some of you fellas wasted more energy arguing about this Schiit than my always-on Yggy 2 used last week when I was away on a biz trip.

For the record, my Yggy 2 sounds great even for NHL Playoffs. Any DAC that can make the sound of Doc Emerick's voice tolerable for a couple of hours is worth is weight in unobtanium. :smiley_cat:

May 2, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #46,163 of 149,268
Some of you fellas wasted more energy arguing about this Schiit than my always-on Yggy 2 used last week when I was away on a biz trip.

For the record, my Yggy 2 sounds great even for NHL Playoffs. Any DAC that can make the sound of Doc Emerick's voice tolerable for a couple of hours is worth is weight in unobtanium. :smiley_cat:

You should give them a listen in surround sound then!

May 2, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #46,164 of 149,268
You should give them a listen in surround sound then!

Yggy puts me right in the rink, the retrieval and presentation of spatial cues is excellent! Save for the numbnuts that insist on pounding the mic'd glass all game long.

May 2, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #46,165 of 149,268
... why are there two orange indicator lamps (LED?) beside my Valhalla 2's 6N1P tube-sockets? The orange glow attracted my spouse's' attention... so that's good. Other than as an ornament, do they serve a purpose? ...
The LED forward voltage drop is often used for biasing, maybe biasing in a constant current source for the tube in this case :thinking:

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #46,166 of 149,268
The LED forward voltage drop is often used for biasing, maybe biasing in a constant current source for the tube in this case :thinking:
Interesting idea, @jimmers . They're both equal brightness. No blinking codes (Sierra Charlie Hotel India India Tango [?]). My gut's telling me it might be used as a diagnostic tool during assembly or QA/QC (@SchiitFerBrainz might have noted that in one of his YouTube How-It's-Made videos). With other tube amplifiers, I read about users having to bias-their-tubes. I'll dig around earlier in this thread and see if Mr. Stoddard ever used the term 'biasing amplifiers'. I'll dig around (while I avoid marking student work). :ksc75smile:

May 2, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #46,168 of 149,268
Interesting idea, @jimmers... I'll dig around earlier in this thread and see if Mr. Stoddard ever used the term 'biasing amplifiers'. I'll dig around (while I avoid marking student work). :ksc75smile:
Mr. Stoddard uses a LED to bias the output transistors of the Coaster amp.
If you look at the photo of the Valhalla PCB you will see a transistor and resistors near the amber LED, that's what has me thinking it is for a constant current plate load. :sunglasses:

May 2, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #46,169 of 149,268
My Bimby seems to “warm up” in about 15-20 minutes like most components. I find the continuous uptime argument to be hogwash personally. My system is sensitive enough to hear distinct differences in interconnects, speaker cables, and some power mods, and I can’t hear any change in Bimby beyond the normal warm up time of any other hifi equipment. Maybe Gumby and Yggy are different, but I doubt it.
Yggdrasil, both A1 and A2, are definitely different from original Bifrost Multibit, which I've owned too. I'd say that after the initial long break-in, you'll need a 2-3 days after a shutdown to cold for them to sound their best. I leave my A2 on unless we are leaving the house empty for a long trip, in which case all the electronics are turned off.

May 2, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #46,170 of 149,268
Exactly, specially when the DAC chip is also used (supposedly) for medical purposes.
MRI machines have a lot of other temperature-control needs -- very sensitive electronics in the neighborhood of a liquid-helium-filled cryostat -- and they cost megabucks, so I doubt that their DAC chips are sitting there at the mercy of room temperature...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back