Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 5, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #44,553 of 149,931
I'll tell you what really can sound fantastic on a decent turntable/vinyl playback system: 12" singles

A quality 12" single, assuming good recording and mastering, of course, can have a surprisingly engaging sense of impact and aliveness

The virtues tend to be particularly evident with the 45-RPM 12" singles, but even the 33 1/3-RPM 12" singles benefit markedly from the increased dynamic range made possible by wider groove spacing

Decreased total play time per-side is the only downside as compared to standard LPs

Good stuff

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #44,556 of 149,931
Good lord, why do I start these things...
Had thought about mass production of high-quality vinyl cylinders. Really needs a 21st-century press where one or more components can expand and contract. Start with an outer "stamper" cylinder, inject hot vinyl under air pressure, like plastic bottles are blown. Then comes the tricky part - the stamper has to be able to slightly expand, allowing the cylinder to be extracted. Perhaps helped by simultaneously cooling the new cylinder and superheating the stamper. Big issue here would be inserting the carbon-fiber liner after. Better if the stamper could be made of a material which allowed it to grow large enough to be lowered over a cylinder/liner, then shrunk around it to press in the grooves, then expanded again for the release. Could this be done precisely enough to create true hi-fi? Not a materials engineer, so dunno.
More realistic, if that's the right word, would be cutting the cylinders one at a time. Same way reel-to-reel tapes are duped. This won't exactly be a mass-market product, after all. And wouldn't this be the approach most likely to appeal to audiophiles?
And a big agreement on 12" 45rpm singles. Some are simply jaw-dropping, especially late at night when all is quiet and the electricity is clean...

Mar 5, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #44,558 of 149,931
Same here

Same here. I think the secondary market for Rag 1's will be flooded, including mine. I really like the idea of having the Rag in my speaker rack in my living room. Sadly, the current one is in storage in my current place. Just no room for in my new home office. Adding the remote will allow me to do a lot more with less space in my living room. I'm excited.

Mar 5, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #44,563 of 149,931
Mar 5, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #44,564 of 149,931
Hey all,

Yep, time for a SchiitrMeet update. We will have two new products at the Schittr:

1. A pair of Aegirs.
I expect we'll be running them mono, but we'll see. These will be the high-noise-floor versions, not the new-board versions. See if you can hear any noise. Probably not. But we're picky. We're still waiting for boards, and I'll let you know as soon as we get them. We're ready to turn on the ordering page any time.
2. The Ragnarok 2. This will have both the phono and multibit DAC card in it. This is the same one that was at New York. I'm still expecting to be shipping Ragnarok 2s this month. In ironic news, Ragnarok just got a "top 100 products of all time" award from HiFi+ (together with Yggdrasil.) So I guess we celebrate that award by killing Ragnarok.

I'll also be there as well, from 6-9 PM, Friday, March 8, at the Schiitr. Address is 22508 Market Street, Newhall, CA 91321, in case you need it.

I also hope to have another chapter this week, but it probably won't be tomorrow, since I'm pretty busy with a bunch of product launch stuff right now, plus some other distractions that are just a part of life (nothing bad, just busier than expected.) If not, I will certainly have another chapter next week.

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back