1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. alpovs
    This!

2. alpovs
    Vinyl disks were on the brink of "not being made anymore", yet they were resurrected. Why not cylinders?

3. FrivolsListener
    To try and treat the question seriously, the LP was the peak of electro-mechanical (or mechanical) recording. We don't listen to wax cylinders the same reason we don't listen to 78s (except for historical recordings). They have inferior sound quality.

thebmc and mp29k like this.
  4. rkw
    And don't forget, LP stands for "Long Playing". A 12-inch 78 only holds 3½ minutes per side.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Jones Bob likes this.
  5. JohnnyCanuck
    I can't speak for others but I play flat records and not cylinders because that's what I have.

JC

barondla likes this.
  6. mp29k
    Me too. All my wax cylinders were destroyed in a tragic A/C failure incident.

7. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    As a flat earther I don't think those cylinders really existed.

8. Derrick Swart
    i did and can sound fantastic indeed but I can't deal with the cleaning/caring hassle anymore I do miss the beautiful cover art work though

9. Derrick Swart
    i guess for the same reasons as people nowadays upload to Youtube

10. JamminVMI
    If I understand you correctly, the question is why discs and not cylinders...

IIRC, the cylinders, when standardised by Edison, spun at 160rpm, and had a track density of 100 tracks per inch. That yielded a playback time of up to a whopping 2.5 minutes, and as such, they were marketed as 2-minute cylinders.

I’d say that’s why we didn’t return to cylinders.

Rensek likes this.
  11. claybomb
    Is it considered early March yet? I need some sign of Rag 2 so I can start getting work done again.

RCBinTN and Rensek like this.
  12. Miguel Barone
    Cylinders sound quality it's worst, Vinyl sound quality was not improved by digital. Simple.

Well, as i post originally, Vinyl can have "drawbacks" for someone that don't see / don't like the other benefits. The same happens to me with digital downloads ... ripping / labelling / organizing / level the volume / blah blah

For me the best of digital it's the streaming plataforms.

Always my opinion and no "right or wrong". We can see other points of view on things ... we'll learn more. If i only listen to people that think like me, i'll always be "right".

mp29k likes this.
  13. schiitfanboy69
    Same here

claybomb likes this.
  14. 45longcolt
    All this talk about wax cylinders has me thinking, and there isn't a weakness of LPs that couldn't be alleviated by going to cylinders. Not wax cylinders, but vinyl cylinders.
    Many LPs aren't all that flat, and any can warp. Cylinders are strong and stable. Vinyl is flexible, but if a liner was used that weakness could be eliminated. Years ago, it might have been magnesium; today carbon fiber would be the obvious choice.
    Tracking errors across the side? A cylinder would of necessity use a tangential arm, like some house-priced disc spinners. Cartridge set-up would be simple.
    End-of-side distortions caused by smaller, close-crowded grooves would be eliminated.
    Time capacity is the big stumbling block. Two ways to solve that - make the cylinders longer and larger in diameter. Also, rotation speed would be a factor. But hey, we already have 33.3 vs. 45 rpm LPs.
    Turntable design would have to change - literally turned on its side - though pretty much any industrial lathe could be easily adapted. Given the popularity of hyper-precision CNC machinery, most of the engineering has been done. Of course it would have to be dressed up in all the audiophile finery, and made "buzzword compliant." But I wouldn't be surprised if this could be done at a very competitive price point.
    Would this be practical? Geez, are you serial? An average album might well require a cylinder two feet long and six inches in diameter. Imagine collecting a couple of thousand of those! But, really, how practical is reel-to-reel tape? We're talkin' audiophiles here, not rational people.
    If nothing else, this would tweak the tails of the digital-only crowd. Worth doing just for that.
    Oh, and you could store great big cover art and booklets in the cylinder. Great sound and great aesthetics!

15. JohnnyCanuck
    ,,,and maybe wrap some toilet paper around the outside?

:)

JC