Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 7, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #39,526 of 151,315
That is a classy thing to do.
dc13af2e24d358e4573650f7178166d3.jpg

Oct 7, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #39,527 of 151,315
Sounds like what I do for my father. I'm planning ahead for my next visit and already had the equipment delivered

That is a classy thing to do.

We’re celebrating Thanksgiving up here in Hogtown (Toronto). I’m happy to see others having civilized dad-son relationships. Mine? He’s a squirrely old hermit living in Blaine, WA. His health problems mess with his memory. Ah well. Happy Canadian Thanksgiving, fellow hosers. :ksc75smile:

Oct 7, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #39,528 of 151,315
I may just go with an antenna for now. My son will be visiting over Xmas and he generally looks at my setup, shakes his head, then goes out and buys me more equipment and he definitely likes Ubiquiti. I am building him a Schiit Coaster amp, this seems like a fair trade to me.:smile_phones:

My Dads Asustor NAS and 1TB drive are arriving today (to my house so I can install and setup). Next time we visit I'll install and configure the backup of his PC.

Oct 7, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #39,532 of 151,315
FWIW: Send 10-watts per-channel of Class-A power into a pair of Tekton 'Lore' loudspeakers, and the walls will shake --very satisfyingly. Personal experience...

There is some information I retain, and some I tend to forget about but i do remember your praise of the Tektons and they are on my list of short term goals. I have heard nothing but good things about them and being American made certainly helps. Yours is one of the voices I listen to about such things. I listen to Ripper when he talks about mescal, it is practically the same thing. Oops, Texas won, make that Sir Ripper.

I've noticed TomSix's comment on the Tekton Lore and that Winders and GolfBravoBravo both have Tekton DIs. I've been looking to get some high efficiency tower speakers for music only (to be used without subs). I had been looking at the LXmini. Would power them with either a DIY Audio Burning Amp 3 or a pair of Aegirs.

So the Lore is $1000 a pair, the Impact $2000ish, and the Double Impacts $3000. I take it that if I can afford them the Double Impacts are the way to go for a high effic. Who else owns Tekton's? What are you driving them with? I'd like to hear ya'lls opinions re the Lore vs the DIs and more.

Oct 7, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #39,533 of 151,315
Someone help me out here because I really don't know and I want to.

Why is a 20w stereo amp exciting? Seems like sothat would power some small bookshelf speaker and that's about it.

I'm seriously asking because I don't know. 20 watts sounds relatively tiny considering my current speakers are rated for 150.

I am far more excited for my *15* Watt Leben than I am for my 100W Rogue ... and 15 is generous. Low power amps with high efficiency transducers are magical.

Oct 7, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #39,534 of 151,315
Sounds like what I do for my father. I'm planning ahead for my next visit and already had the equipment delivered
Last time I visited my daughter, we spent time figuring out different Linux distros and audio player software for her Raspberry Pi-based digital audio system, which also includes the Bimby and Jot I gave her :smile_phones:

Oct 7, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #39,535 of 151,315
I hope the above provides a bit of insight and some helpful food for thought

Wo thanks for that Tom, very insightful. I knew most of that, and still learned something. :)

Ooohhhh....
Nice.
But be aware. The censoring forum police is prowling here again under the kind direction of @Worst poster on[redacted](not a joke).

This is true about a lack of humor by some who read this thread, not pointing fingers.

It's A Schiit thread, I think some humor is mandatory.

Oct 7, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #39,537 of 151,315
I wish I could have heard those amps when they were working. Jason said that they might be out as soon as January, to which I retorted, "That means November." Jason, to Mike: "He knows us."

I hadn't thought of this until you posted it. I'm now debating whether to wait or buy a Vidar. Holding out until January would be easy for Aegir, especially considering it'd be my main amp for many many years. But the gadget & Sol have been previewed previously and aren't out yet. Gadget was projected 1Q 2018. Vidar took a long time to launch, and Jason has mentioned previously that amps don't ship until they have been put through the ringer. He's made multiple stabs at Ragnarok update, and those weren't up to snuff.

I appreciate their diligence in making sure their products are quality, but it means I probably shouldn't tie my purchase plans to their estimated launch schedule.

Oct 7, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #39,539 of 151,315
I always advise: if you want or need a piece of gear, buy what's available whenever you have the ability to buy. It is a fact of life that something better will come out in the future, and when that happens you can make another decision about upgrading or not. But if you need something now but you keep waiting for the next big thing, you end up not filling your need.

Oct 7, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #39,540 of 151,315
I hadn't thought of this until you posted it. I'm now debating whether to wait or buy a Vidar. Holding out until January would be easy for Aegir, especially considering it'd be my main amp for many many years. But the gadget & Sol have been previewed previously and aren't out yet. Gadget was projected 1Q 2018. Vidar took a long time to launch, and Jason has mentioned previously that amps don't ship until they have been put through the ringer. He's made multiple stabs at Ragnarok update, and those weren't up to snuff.

I appreciate their diligence in making sure their products are quality, but it means I probably shouldn't tie my purchase plans to their estimated launch schedule.

No guarentees for January. Make your decision based on the fact that we don't know when if ever that product will be released.

Maybe buy something old off of Craigslist to hold you over. (Or Fleabay) or just get something you want now.

If you don't have super efficient speakers like tekton or zu audio then don't bother waiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back