Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 3, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #39,151 of 151,315

Remember multi-band graphic equalizers? Takes me straight back to the 1980's

Everybody just had to have one. They looked so high-tech, important, cool. Guaranteed to impress small children.

People would about tear your head off if you messed with their 'carefully' adjusted EQ settings.

In truth, those multi-band EQ's, nearly all of them, were pure tone killers. They could fully dessicate the music, dry-up most all the "natural juices" remaining in a decent recording.

Ah yes... The "good ole' days": Low THD fetish, flat response fetish... dozens of antiseptic sounding op-amps, tons of inverse feedback, BIG 5-way loudspeakers with brutal crossovers. It's the way it was done.

Most of that stuff, I'm entirely comfortable leaving quietly behind --except perhaps as novelty conversation pieces, or doorstops.

Yep, dust-prone open pots, and waaaaay too many op-amps.

Oct 3, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #39,152 of 151,315
My dad had one and I loved playing with the sliders, probably his annoyance. That being said, I do not remember it actually being used much and it did not last all that long in the system.

Yeah, I remember it got quite competitive with those EQs. The greater the number of bands, the 'better'. Flashy LED, LCD or Fluorescent bar-graph level displays for each band became pretty much de rigueur.

Heck, they looked neat --fun to watch. A stereophile version of the lava lamp :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #39,153 of 151,315
Yeah, I remember it got quite competitive with those EQs. The greater the number of bands, the 'better'. Flashy LED, LCD or Fluorescent bar-graph level displays for each band became pretty much de rigueur.

Heck, they looked neat --fun to watch. A stereophile version of the lava lamp :wink:

I'm doing this with Foobar right now full screen. Screen capture not working so good with a moving image on my 165 hz display :wink:

upload_2018-10-3_14-43-49.png

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #39,158 of 151,315

Remember multi-band graphic equalizers? Takes me straight back to the 1980's

Everybody just had to have one. They looked so high-tech, important, cool. Guaranteed to impress small children.

People would about tear your head off if you messed with their 'carefully' adjusted EQ settings.

In truth, those multi-band EQ's, nearly all of them, were pure tone killers. They could fully dessicate the music, dry-up most all the "natural juices" remaining in a decent recording.

Ah yes... The "good ole' days": Low THD fetish, flat response fetish... dozens of antiseptic sounding op-amps, tons of inverse feedback, BIG 5-way loudspeakers with brutal crossovers. It's the way it was done.

Most of that stuff, I'm entirely comfortable leaving quietly behind --except perhaps as novelty conversation pieces, or doorstops.

Great post. 5 ways w/ bad xover? Rectalinear 5?

Or how about those ice buckets - the Crown 150 and 300.

My Soundcraftsman 22** whatever it was - could never get it to do what it was supposed to do w/o screwing w/ the phase and cohesion of the music. Couldn't hear it with my stacked WalnutAdvents, but I could hear it with the Cizek 1 and the Maggie 1 - it was sold off, and I don't believe I had another dog component again.

A few pieces before 1980 deserve continued life, but there is a finite list.

Nice to hear from another person that goes back so far. I have a Number 6 button someplace I'll dig it up.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #39,159 of 151,315
Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #39,160 of 151,315
Oct 3, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #39,161 of 151,315
Several of the 70's era pro audio 1/3 octave EQs used LCR filters in their design. The Klark Teknik DN27 only had 3 op amps in it. They used the 5534 not 741s!
White Instruments was another company that built large multiband equalizers using LCR filters. My fav was the 4303 - 28 1/6th octave filters, 13 1/3 octave filters and a variable high pass filter (20 to 160 hz). All rotary knobs, sealed pots. No faders need apply. Kinda like using a text based word processor instead of the nice GUI WYSIWYG stuff we have now.

Oct 4, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #39,163 of 151,315
Make sure that price is correct on the Dirac Live license, I only had to pay $99 or $100 for the license for my Emotiva XMC-1...

That's a special deal Emotiva swung with Dirac, branded as "Dirac Live for Emotiva." The license is very specific and just for the XMC, not transferable if you sell the hardware. It's also an upgrade from Dirac Live LE to Dirac Live Full - the price of Dirac is already baked into the cost of the XMC. I think Full just adds more granular bass control.

If you look at Dirac's pricing, a general purpose license for your personal computer is 389 Euro for stereo or 650 Euro for 8-channel.

The miniDSP DDRC-24 with Dirac is $399. The miniDSP 2x4 is $95. That's $300 for Dirac - cheaper than my off-the-cuff recollection (the price may have come down as well) but still 3 times the cost of the hardware it's running on. Oh, and the bass management plugin is $99... same price as the Emotiva upgrade to Full.

The OP referenced the DDRC-22D at $795 but from a cursory search of the site I can't find an equivalent 2-channel box to compare it to.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #39,164 of 151,315
For me it was while snowmobiling at like midnight in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, was quite amazing...

For me it was stumbling out of a pub in Ullapool, Scotland, at closing time. The sky was so amazing I thought I was seeing the start of WWIII over the horizon. It took my sozzled brain a while to figure out it was just the night sky.

Oct 4, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #39,165 of 151,315
Several of the 70's era pro audio 1/3 octave EQs used LCR filters in their design. The Klark Teknik DN27 only had 3 op amps in it. They used the 5534 not 741s!

I remember those! I could never afford one, but a few clubs had them in the soundman's booth.

Oh, now they're under $500 on eBay. Good price!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back