1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. TomSix
    Yeah, I remember it got quite competitive with those EQs. The greater the number of bands, the 'better'. Flashy LED, LCD or Fluorescent bar-graph level displays for each band became pretty much de rigueur.

Heck, they looked neat --fun to watch. A stereophile version of the lava lamp :wink:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  2. the finisher
    I'm doing this with Foobar right now full screen. Screen capture not working so good with a moving image on my 165 hz display :wink:

upload_2018-10-3_14-43-49.png

Paladin79 and Mike-WI like this.
  3. JohnnyCanuck
    and not just ANY op-amps -- 741s!

JC

riffrafff and FrivolsListener like this.
  4. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    In The Netherlands we have a saying that sums up the last days in this thread. A small poem.
    "Daar staat een paard in de gang. Jaja een paard in de gang. Ohoh een paard in de gang.
    Bij buurvrouw Jansen". (by A. van Duin)

HumanFly and gljus like this.
  5. Rensek
    Is the horse named Sleipnir?

6. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    @HumanFly knows that.

HumanFly likes this.
  7. bagwell359
    Great post. 5 ways w/ bad xover? Rectalinear 5?

Or how about those ice buckets - the Crown 150 and 300.

My Soundcraftsman 22** whatever it was - could never get it to do what it was supposed to do w/o screwing w/ the phase and cohesion of the music. Couldn't hear it with my stacked WalnutAdvents, but I could hear it with the Cizek 1 and the Maggie 1 - it was sold off, and I don't believe I had another dog component again.

A few pieces before 1980 deserve continued life, but there is a finite list.

Nice to hear from another person that goes back so far. I have a Number 6 button someplace I'll dig it up.

8. CAPT Deadpool
  9. riffrafff
    the finisher and AudioGal like this.
  10. AudioGal
    Several of the 70's era pro audio 1/3 octave EQs used LCR filters in their design. The Klark Teknik DN27 only had 3 op amps in it. They used the 5534 not 741s!
    White Instruments was another company that built large multiband equalizers using LCR filters. My fav was the 4303 - 28 1/6th octave filters, 13 1/3 octave filters and a variable high pass filter (20 to 160 hz). All rotary knobs, sealed pots. No faders need apply. Kinda like using a text based word processor instead of the nice GUI WYSIWYG stuff we have now.

11. dieslemat
    Haha this is so true!

ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  12. valiant66
    That's a special deal Emotiva swung with Dirac, branded as "Dirac Live for Emotiva." The license is very specific and just for the XMC, not transferable if you sell the hardware. It's also an upgrade from Dirac Live LE to Dirac Live Full - the price of Dirac is already baked into the cost of the XMC. I think Full just adds more granular bass control.

If you look at Dirac's pricing, a general purpose license for your personal computer is 389 Euro for stereo or 650 Euro for 8-channel.

The miniDSP DDRC-24 with Dirac is $399. The miniDSP 2x4 is $95. That's $300 for Dirac - cheaper than my off-the-cuff recollection (the price may have come down as well) but still 3 times the cost of the hardware it's running on. Oh, and the bass management plugin is $99... same price as the Emotiva upgrade to Full.

The OP referenced the DDRC-22D at $795 but from a cursory search of the site I can't find an equivalent 2-channel box to compare it to.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    yonson likes this.
  13. valiant66
    For me it was stumbling out of a pub in Ullapool, Scotland, at closing time. The sky was so amazing I thought I was seeing the start of WWIII over the horizon. It took my sozzled brain a while to figure out it was just the night sky.

yonson and the finisher like this.
  14. valiant66
    I remember those! I could never afford one, but a few clubs had them in the soundman's booth.

Oh, now they're under $500 on eBay. Good price!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  15. the finisher
    That one only does 1 channel though, you'd need 2, so not so cheap even now.