Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 15, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #37,981 of 155,184
Sep 15, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #37,982 of 155,184
I enjoyed being in a leadership role, but the bad thing is ... you can't really be friends with the people you supervise.

You guys are ringing a few bells. I was fortunate to work for much of my life in a a very "flat", global organization but with a majority of Brits around. It was intersting to see the intercultural reactions to e.g. a foodfight at the annual gathering and to the announcemnt of one years tshirts. The COO announced "We have small, medium, and fat person". There was sharp intake of breath from some tables and huge laughter from others.

I had a "title" but never thought of myself as anything different than a lad from Yorkshire who somehow ended up in an unexpected place. But it became clear to me early on that there had to be some separation and circumspection. Sometimes it's cultural, words DO mean different things in British English, sometimes it's insane. I won't cite examples here, but perfectly valid and sensible words can have attachments that are, IMHO, inane. To cap all of that, I have somewhat warped sense of humo(u)r and the ability to turn almost any statement into a double entedre.

And a direct manner of speech sometimes :) In rsponse to a reporter's question about a particularly "hot" topic I responded 'That's bull". Can I quote you? "Off course you can". As the CEO said to me when he saw it on the front page of a trade rag, "Why is it always you?" I told him that I could always play it safe but that "safe" was rarely the right approach to making progress.

I lived for more than 20 years in Oakland, which is the biggest melting pot I've experienced. I loved it too and do miss many of the positives that came as a result. Jody lived in Berkeley. Both cities produced plenty of material for eye rolling, but in general the thrust is in a positive direction.

Sep 15, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #37,983 of 155,184
Congratulations! I am doing the exact same build except for some customizing. I have the Freya in place and eventually I will get back to the project. Mine will have the front switch and hardwood top and front (cherry).

Your welcome.

Kudos to you for all the Coaster Amp work you've done. The run down you set down helped me decide not to try that path just yet. I came to the view that the ACA would be an easier build and for a first timer, I didn't want to set myself up for a fail.

Cheers and enjoy the tunes.

EDIT:
I've got the 2nd ACA playing now.. Holy Schiit Show Batman, they both actually work!

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #37,984 of 155,184
Cool, we can be neighbors. You can come to the meets!
Franklin is a very nice & historic town, actually a suburb of Nashville now (there are many corp HQs in Brentwood).
There's still reasonably-priced land if you go out a bit to the South or West.
The cost of living will be way better than California ... :)

Know Schiit!

Sep 15, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #37,985 of 155,184
I enjoyed being in a leadership role, but the bad thing is ... you can't really be friends with the people you supervise.

Agreed, which is why I'm no longer a manager (at my choice) I'd currently rather be friends with my colleagues than manage them... Plus I enjoy the actual work WAY more than the meetings, paperwork etc...

Sep 15, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #37,986 of 155,184
Your welcome.

Kudos to you for all the Coaster Amp work you've done. The run down you set down helped me decide not to try that path just yet. I came to the view that the ACA would be an easier build and for a first timer, I didn't want to set myself up for a fail.

Cheers and enjoy the tunes.

EDIT:
I've got the 2nd ACA playing now.. Holy Schiit Show Batman, they both actually work!

Very cool indeed. I will most likely paint the heat sinks on mine, there is paint made to withstand over 500 degrees F for outdoor grills so that will certainly qualify for what I am doing. My ACA will look a bit like some work by JamieMcC as I recall, I like to give credit where it is due. What speakers will you use? I have no doubt with the Freya, the sound is quite good.

Sep 15, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #37,987 of 155,184
In theory this sounds like the correct thing to do. However in my experience it doesn't really work that way. Unfortunately there are way too many people these days that are just looking to be offended by something.
I guess our experiences are different. For the last 25 years, my work has involved interacting with many people of different backgrounds in different locations. I've learned something useful the times I was called out on something that I said that could be misconstrued. It might have been uncomfortable at the time, but occasional discomfort is IMHO the price of being a fallible human. The increasingly shouty media environment might be making people more thin-skinned, but as a non-native speaker immigrant I've had always to pay more attention to my words anyway, and with my role at work, measured speaking and writing are part of the job description.

Sep 15, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #37,988 of 155,184
In rsponse to a reporter's question about a particularly "hot" topic I responded 'That's bull****". Can I quote you? "Off course you can". As the CEO said to me when he saw it on the front page of a trade rag, "Why is it always you?" I told him that I could always play it safe but that "safe" was rarely the right approach to making progress.
I do get to talk to the press every few months, this really resonates. There's a lot of BS in my field currently, it's really hard to respond to it without going rogue.

Sep 15, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #37,990 of 155,184
I will most likely retire in a couple years, right now I am enjoying not having to upgrade my resume or to be on either side of the desk for job interviews.

Sep 15, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #37,991 of 155,184
I will most likely retire in a couple years, right now I am enjoying not having to upgrade my resume or to be on either side of the desk for job interviews.
I was having a couple of funny conversations about retirement yesterday. My wife found a house for sale that would fit us better than our current one, on a really beautiful location, but the commute to work would be really bad, 4x the current one. Talking about this with someone who knows me well, he goes "it would be a great house if you retired, but you are having way too much fun at work" He's right.

Sep 15, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #37,993 of 155,184
I wasn't really complaining about our audience, just making a statement in general.

In theory this sounds like the correct thing to do. However in my experience it doesn't really work that way. Unfortunately there are way too many people these days that are just looking to be offended by something. I've worked with people that would get upset at something you say (nothing offensive etc... something like "man, traffic was insane this morning") and correct you on what should have been said only for 2 weeks later you say exactly what they corrected you to say and then they say ohhh that's offensive too, say blah blah blah... It got so bad that I don't say anything anymore because it's just not worth my time having to defend myself which in turn causes other issues, because then they would say ohhh how come you never have any input, or say anything about such and such anymore... It's a giant revolving door of BS that I'm not going to waste my time on anymore.

Ohhh and to make it clear, saying anything racist or intentionally offensive to someone is in no way or form acceptable by anyone at anytime.

I read/heard that our local municipal government (Calgary, AB) (or the CUPE Union, I no longer recall) introduced workplace guidelines that included a list of greeting/parting phrases that were no longer acceptable.

Included amongst them was “Cheers!”, on the basis that it might trigger a relapse in recovering alcoholics.

I am fairly chill about that kind of stuff in general, but that one really ticked me off.The next day that became my default sign off on emails.

Cheers!

[Edit] Despite all the talk of fine wine, beer and whisky that we’ve had on this freewheeling thread, there are certainly non-drinkers here. I made that decision not because of a lack of respect for an individual’s choice, circumstance or background, but because I felt that particular edict took political correctness one step too far. I am willing to hear arguments to the contrary if anyone feels so inclined...

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #37,994 of 155,184
I was having a couple of funny conversations about retirement yesterday. My wife found a house for sale that would fit us better than our current one, on a really beautiful location, but the commute to work would be really bad, 4x the current one. Talking about this with someone who knows me well, he goes "it would be a great house if you retired, but you are having way too much fun at work" He's right.

I enjoy what I am doing as well and I have a long commute, two hours total but I am well stocked with audible books. I thought of downsizing on house size after the kids moved away but if I keep getting audio gear I may have to up size.

Sep 15, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #37,995 of 155,184
I guess our experiences are different. For the last 25 years, my work has involved interacting with many people of different backgrounds in different locations. I've learned something useful the times I was called out on something that I said that could be misconstrued. It might have been uncomfortable at the time, but occasional discomfort is IMHO the price of being a fallible human. The increasingly shouty media environment might be making people more thin-skinned, but as a non-native speaker immigrant I've had always to pay more attention to my words anyway, and with my role at work, measured speaking and writing are part of the job description.

I have always worked with a diverse group of people from different locations (going on 30 years now). My issue is mainly when you are talking about an inanimate object and people get offended about what you said. I should be able to state "Holy crap, that project was a pain in the butt" without having to worry about someone getting offended by it and going to HR (yes that has happened, using those exact words, in a shop environment no less where pretty much anything gets said almost every day) etc...

I guess I just don't understand because in the environment I was raised in you had to have thick skin. Growing up everyone I knew was picked on or made fun of for something, we learned early on to not let it bother us because in the end it really didn't matter as long as they weren't physically harming us and that's pretty much how I've always looked at anything that is ever said to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back