Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 14, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #37,951 of 155,172
I use that phrase all the time. Never, not once, did I consider it to have racial overtones.

The world has gone phuking stoopid. :rage:

Crazy.
But that's how it goes
Millions of people living as foes
Maybe, it's not too late
To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

-Ozzy

Sep 14, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #37,952 of 155,172
2 things I won't post about in forums -- Religion and Politics. The the virtual equivalent of wearing 'Kick Me' sign on your back. :unamused:
Yeah, but sometimes it's hard, though, ain't it? :confounded:
Especially for your "allies" on the other side of the globe.

Sincerest best wishes for all those affected by Florence or in danger from it.

Sep 15, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #37,953 of 155,172
I hate that posts like this even need to be made, but unfortunately it's very true these days... I wish PC would have never become a thing it does nothing but cause issues IMHO.
Rather than complaining about our audience, we can also try to understand them and speak accordingly. It takes a bit of work, but very much worth it for the peace and good will it generates.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #37,954 of 155,172
My opinion is based off being a budget consumer looking for a sweet spot, reading this thread, schiits website, many reviews, and I own a mimby. I'm looking to skip bimby and get a Gumby down the road. Without a hearing test, my reading has led me to believe that mimby gets most of what bimby offers for half price, and Gumby offers far more then Bimby, offers the same filter as yggy, 4 mb chips (albeit less bits), all for half the cost of a yggy.

I'm not dissin anyone who buys Gumby over Yggy, it is probably 90% of a Yggy, and at half the price, a great deal for a balanced r2r DAC.

I bought Yggy because it was a fresh update, and many were ga ga over it, for good reason.
Gumby was not updated yet, and I had tried a few DACs in that price range, though all were D/S DACs and I experienced fatigue.
My LS50s are not kind to a crappy source. I bought Yggy and WOW, they sounded great.

Since then, I have added much better speakers, a Jot, and 2 pair of headphones. I only came back to the hobby 2 years ago.

Yggy is my gateway drug to audio nirvana, I will not part with it.:L3000:

mirvreentry.jpg

Man that's a creepy scary pic :anguished:

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #37,955 of 155,172
I'm not dissin anyone who buys Gumby over Yggy, it is probably 90% of a Yggy, and at half the price, a great deal for a balanced r2r DAC.

I bought Yggy because it was a fresh update, and many were ga ga over it, for good reason.
Gumby was not updated yet, and I had tried a few DACs in that price range, though all were D/S DACs and I experienced fatigue.
My LS50s are not kind to a crappy source. I bought Yggy and WOW, they sounded great.

Since then, I have added much better speakers, a Jot, and 2 pair of headphones. I only came back to the hobby 2 years ago.

Yggy is my gateway drug to audio nirvana, I will not part with it.:L3000:

Man that's a creepy scary pic :anguished:

For sure mate, I'm not saying yggy isn't worth the money, just giving the viewpoint of man who still needs to build a complete system. For the price of one yggy I can get a Gumby, Saga (with Tung and LISST), Vidar, 1 set of coasters and an extra remote for saga. Talk about a value proposition.

Edit - or I could skip the LISST, coasters, and extra remote and buy a nice bottle of scotch or bourbon..... Decisions......

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #37,956 of 155,172
I built my current system rather quickly, with the best I could reasonably afford.
I spent some savings, and am using the banks money for free for the rest.

However this takes some discipline in paying back quickly.
Kinda like buying a nice used car and putting money down, then paying the rest off in 2 years max.

The best is how I got the Focals, Sweetwater gave me 48 mo. to pay, 0 interest or fees, or tax, or shipping.
They cost me $60 a month.

We don't have kids to put through collage, so what the hell.:L3000:

And I quit smoking 10 months ago, so...

Of course I now have a 2 channel in my living room to eat even more cash.:tired_face:

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #37,958 of 155,172
Sweetwater is the #1 pro audio seller in the US.
They are the best!

Good to not spend what you don't have though.
I have to say after years of fostering a great credit rating it's nice to use the banks money free for once.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #37,959 of 155,172
Earlier I mentioned being very happy with the sound quality improvement of the Mimby + Vali2 over plugging straight into the computer, but wondered if the Mimby or the Vali2 was contributing most to the difference. In the past I had found the Fulla2 to be a modest upgrade over the PC, but not a huge improvement per se, so I used its amp and DAC separately as a comparison. Considering that the Fulla2 uses the same DAC as the Modi2 standard and Uber I think they might be very similar in DAC performance.

The Mimby blew the Fulla2 DAC out of the water (using the Vali2 as the amp). The best way I can describe it is muddy and jumbled together sounds versus very clear, sharp, and distinct notes that you can visualize being played by the musicians. It also felt like the Mimby was better at filling out the lower frequencies and wasn't as shrill sounding with bright high notes. I'm sold on the multibit design!

Next I used the Mimby as the DAC for the Vali2 and Fulla2 amps, but the difference wasn't quite as striking. The Vali2 was certainly better sounding, but it took more careful listening to pick it out. I would describe the difference as being like with the DACs, a cleaner sound with the Vali2. For grins I also tried a Coaster amp (aka Vali Mini) and felt that it compared quite favorably and fell somewhere between the Vali2 and Fulla2 amps.

I tried to do a comparison of the Mimby to the DAC in my receiver (reportedly the AK4458), but it was hard to accomplish anything with a 2 year old and 4 year old tearing up the living room around me.

So in other words the multibit DAC was probably about 75% of the improvement that I experienced and therefore well worth the price for the upgrade even at the low price point of the Modi2.

Sep 15, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #37,960 of 155,172
What set me of on the quest for a great DAC is the horrible DAC in my Outlaw receiver, great amp, bad DAC.

The shrill sound you describe is something I can not stand.

Sep 15, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #37,961 of 155,172
I compared my mimby to 3 different dacs for hp use and 4 different dacs for 2 ch use. It was quite an improvement over the pixel 2 dongle, and Chromecast ( 50% better) It was still an improvement, but not as pronounced in my jvc receiver and iPad Air 2 (20-30% better). Compared to the jvc and iPad it just seemed like mimbys mid range wasn't as muffled (muddy?), bass had more oomph, trebles were crisper, and separation and layering were much more defined. I bought a cheapo Yamaha RS202 BL off Amazon the other day. Looking forward to hear how mimby sounds through that in my garage this weekend. It's supposed to be aagood sounding class B amp for the money.

Sep 15, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #37,962 of 155,172
Funny, religion and politics.
I wonder if a non-audiophile looking over a site like Head-Fi would conclude that its members have turned the art and science of sound reproduction into a religion?
And if they were to spend time reading the thoughts of the supporters of this product and that product, and the ensuing discussions and arguments over what's right and whats wrong in any aspect of design, implementation, feature sets, sound signatures, cost to perf ratios, etc., they might conclude "well, that's just the politics of audio"!
Don't worry.
Audiophiles are masters in spinning loads of bull in every configuration just to persuade themselves buying just another piece of religion.

Sep 15, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #37,963 of 155,172
Sep 15, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #37,964 of 155,172
I am looking at buying something in Franklin, TN for retirement.....

Cool, we can be neighbors. You can come to the meets!
Franklin is a very nice & historic town, actually a suburb of Nashville now (there are many corp HQs in Brentwood).
There's still reasonably-priced land if you go out a bit to the South or West.
The cost of living will be way better than California ... :)

Sep 15, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #37,965 of 155,172
For sure mate, I'm not saying yggy isn't worth the money, just giving the viewpoint of man who still needs to build a complete system. For the price of one yggy I can get a Gumby, Saga (with Tung and LISST), Vidar, 1 set of coasters and an extra remote for saga. Talk about a value proposition.

Edit - or I could skip the LISST, coasters, and extra remote and buy a nice bottle of scotch or bourbon..... Decisions......

Fortunately Schiit makes a variety of products at different price points so you can upgrade and replace down the road. The used products hold their values pretty well.

I have tried ladder dacs that sell for as much as $10k and the Yggy is a great value compared to them, some are more in the $5k range.

I once said something to a distributor whose prices seemed very high, they responded that I must look at who they are competing against and sure enough their prices were in line or lower than the companies they named. In other words, you are not our customer base so we really do not care if we sell to you or not. The same holds true in high end audio. I work with one company who does home theater systems that go for $250k up, they are not a huge company and they have few employees, they most likely contract out the installations. In a good year they might sell 10-15 systems in a pretty limited market and they have to really work to compete against other companies doing the same thing. If another recession hits, they may have a hard time staying afloat but Schiit audio might thrive even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back