Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 15, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #38,011 of 155,071
FYI, I think tubes are 3-month warranty items, per the Schiit site (found that on the Valhalla 2 description).

That may well be, Graham will have to check into that.

Sep 15, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #38,012 of 155,071
I will be shopping for some 6SN7's soon so I will help if I can. Tomorrow i can check with a buddy, his knowledge of tubes surpasses mine.

I rarely listen to music on my 7.2 system but it can be fun when the twin subs kick in. Off to make chicken piccata soon, luckily I have made it for a dozen or more people before and it is pretty easy.

I rarely listen to my 5.1 on music, never sounds right, never sounds real. 2 ears, 2 speakers, L, R,& (L-R, R-L.), works for me.

Sep 15, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #38,013 of 155,071
I rarely listen to my 5.1 on music, never sounds right, never sounds real. 2 ears, 2 speakers, L, R,& (L-R, R-L.), works for me.
I may be showing movies later so I was just messing around. Oh and the viewing height of the tv is perfect for me.:smile_phones:

Sep 15, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #38,014 of 155,071
If not, it looks like $120 for 6SN7 Tung-Sol New Production Matched Quads. Or should I look for something else? I know a few of you have suggested sources, but I'm floundering a bit.

You don't need a matched quad, there's nothing to be gained by doing that. Two matched pairs are what you need.

JC

Sep 15, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #38,015 of 155,071
I may be showing movies later so I was just messing around. Oh and the viewing height of the tv is perfect for me.:smile_phones:

Surround with movies is fun and adds to the atmosphere, (especially as I'm a Sci-Fi & Horror buff), but I have over 100 sound film tracks and as music they sound better in 2 channel.
I'll be at the Kimmel Center tomorrow at 2 for the opening weekend of the concert season. I've got to remember to look for the surround speakers:laughing:

Sep 15, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #38,016 of 155,071
You don't need a matched quad, there's nothing to be gained by doing that. Two matched pairs are what you need.

JC

I agree. A quad matched set is just gilding the lily.

Sep 15, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #38,017 of 155,071
I guess I just don't understand because in the environment I was raised in you had to have thick skin. Growing up everyone I knew was picked on or made fun of for something, we learned early on to not let it bother us because in the end it really didn't matter as long as they weren't physically harming us and that's pretty much how I've always looked at anything that is ever said to me.
I hear you, I understand what is to struggle with and overcome such attacks. I was seriously bullied and excluded in school (small for my age, interested in science, bad at sports) back in Portugal. I managed to eventually thrive without major consequences, thanks to my parents' though genes, a few great mentors, a lucky fit between my abilities and a fast-growing field, and to leaving the country as soon as I could. I know others who were not so lucky and still struggle with traumas of exclusion. From my early experiences and from observing those around me since, I've become more sensitive to how my behavior might affect others, even though my natural inclinations are geeky rather than interpersonal. My default position these days is that if someone reacts negatively to what I do or say, it's my job to make amends unless my action was really the only one appropriate to the circumstances. From a lot of trial and error, it is very rare that one can't adjust one's behavior that way and still achieve whatever reasonable objective one had to start with. In other words, I never think as if it is "my right" to behave a certain way, but rather is is my privilege to live in the company of others and so I should make an effort to adapt to their concerns (within the bounds of ethical behavior, of course). I did not come easily by this (ask my wife or kids :wink:), as I am quite opinionated and good at finding good arguments for my side.

Sep 15, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #38,018 of 155,071

JC

Ah, that's useful info. Though Schiit sell it as a matched set, so I'm now even more confused!

Which leads me to ask: if they are indeed matched PAIRS, which pair is which - imagining the Freya set as (from the front) top left / tr/ bl/ br?

Cheers

Sep 15, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #38,020 of 155,071
some really nice 53' ribbed fotons were back on the bay from a legit russian seller 34$ a pair. they are nos. there are way nicer tubes then the new production tung sols imo. i picked up a couple pairs myself. i went with 4 nos tubes in my freya had zero issues thus far. i bought them in pairs.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #38,021 of 155,071
Sep 15, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #38,022 of 155,071

Oh, I do so agree! Stereo is stereo - hence the trials, tribulations and joys of the new Roon/RpI/Freya/Vadar/DI system. Having said that, we have a good HT setup (with Onkyo /ELAC/ Bose) with 5.1 that I would not trade for 2 speakers! Horses for courses.

I saw this: today and thought it well worth an hour to watch. If you watch it, you will know exactly how I sound.....

Sep 15, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #38,023 of 155,071
some really nice 53' ribbed fotons were back on the bay from a legit russian seller 34$ a pair. they are nos. there are way nicer tubes then the new production tung sols imo. i picked up a couple pairs myself. i went with 4 nos tubes in my freya had zero issues thus far. i bought them in pairs.

I have heard that those ribbed ones give much more pleasure!

On a serious note, i'd be intersted in a link. PM me if that's the best bet.

Cheers

Sep 15, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #38,024 of 155,071
Surround with movies is fun and adds to the atmosphere, (especially as I'm a Sci-Fi & Horror buff), but I have over 100 sound film tracks and as music they sound better in 2 channel.
I'll be at the Kimmel Center tomorrow at 2 for the opening weekend of the concert season. I've got to remember to look for the surround speakers:laughing:

I should have mentioned earlier that my receiver does have a two channel mode that includes the subwoofers and front towers as best I can tell. I have promised to do a showing of The Big Lebowski at some point but it is not raining so most likely we will outside anyway. Listening to Red Right Hand/Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds right now, ever since Peaky Blinders I had to locate that song.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #38,025 of 155,071
Ah, that's useful info. Though Schiit sell it as a matched set, so I'm now even more confused!

Which leads me to ask: if they are indeed matched PAIRS, which pair is which - imagining the Freya set as (from the front) top left / tr/ bl/ br?

Cheers
The 4 TungSol matched 6SN& I bought from Schiit all measured 110-120 on a B&K 707 dynamic mutual conductance tube tester. One half of one 6SN7 measured LOW at 90, however, I could detect no difference in gain, especially if the odd tube is installed as a cathode follower [K follower gain is much less than 1]. Ask Schiit to sell you two reasonably matched 6SN7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back