Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 16, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #32,941 of 150,621
Air is such a lousy thermal conductor. How about immersion of Vidar into a tank of mineral oil? It's non-conductive ...

That would work too.

Of course, we'd never service it under warranty after immersion, so you'd have to consider that.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 16, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #32,942 of 150,621
Perfect, thanks Jason!!! If I get something going I will contact you before posting it.

May 16, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #32,943 of 150,621
That would work too.

Of course, we'd never service it under warranty after immersion, so you'd have to consider that.

Darn!! Do keep Mineral Oil immersion in mind should you ever move towards a 100w Class A amp in a Magni 3 form-factor. Could be the solution to your heat dissipation problem. :D

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #32,945 of 150,621
My advice is just trust the designer to have designed the amp to operate properly in a normal environment. If it doesn't and it shuts down all the time, then worry about things like external cooling. 99.9% of all amps do NOT NEED it.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #32,946 of 150,621
Air is such a lousy thermal conductor. How about immersion of Vidar into a tank of mineral oil? It's non-conductive ...

Might be fun to try but I don’t think it will take too much airflow to get me the extra dB for when it’s time to rawk. For the quiet late night listening when the kids are in bed, no fans are necessary.
They aren’t joking around when they say Maggies like some current. I could have saved some hassle and gotten more efficient speakers like the Klipsch I was thinking about. These just sounded so much better in the demo, and I like how easy they are to move around compared to 100 pound towers.

And they’re made just a few miles from my house, so supporting local manufacturing :)

May 16, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #32,947 of 150,621
One of the saddest days of my audio life was the day I gave up my modified Maggies (1.5 series II) in my divorce. I thought I got the better end of the bargain and kept a pair of Acoustat Spectra electrostats, but later came to realize how much better the Maggies sounded. I have wanted another pair ever since (20 years). As soon as the last child moves out, I will finally have my music room and will once again own Maggies -- likely 1.7 with Vidar or whatever Schiit amp is en-vogue at the time. For now -- it's Ortho headphones to remind me of the Maggie's splendor and what awaits when that day arrives (approx. 3 years).

(BTW -- I'm not heartless. I'll miss my youngest daughter when she moves out, but we are talking a music room w/ Maggies, so I'm sure folks here will understand.) :)

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #32,948 of 150,621
Pietro, do you have a pizza dough recipe to share? Napoli style if possible. Even better if you can pull it off with a glass of wine in one hand, while distractedly listening to La traviata on your Schiit gear (so yes this is on-topic).

I've been trying to recreate this ever since I went to Rome a year ago, but the search for the perfect home made pizza seems like a life journey...
Yes, coming up in a few.
Lot's of demands for this.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #32,949 of 150,621
One of the saddest days of my audio life was the day I gave up my modified Maggies (1.5 series II) in my divorce. I thought I got the better end of the bargain and kept a pair of Acoustat Spectra electrostasts, but later came to realize how much better the Maggies sounded. I have wanted another pair ever since (20 years). As soon as the last child moves out, I will finally have my music room and will once again own Maggies -- likely 1.7 with Vidar or whatever Schiit amp is en-vogue at the time. For now -- it's Ortho headphones to remind me of the Maggie's splendor and what awaits when that day arrives (approx. 3 years).

(BTW -- I'm not heartless. I'll miss my youngest daughter when she moves out, but we are talking a music room w/ Maggies, so I'm sure folks here will understand.) :)
Will have to wait until we get a second bathroom built before I can think about setting up a listening room in the spare basement space. For now it’s enough to have that hour or so in the living room after everyone’s gone to bed. And any spare time when I’m alone in the house to crank it up.

May 16, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #32,950 of 150,621
Wait!!?? Your kids actually go to bed before 1am and don't lay-up all night in the living room watching TV? They are either younger or you have found an alternative use for Benadryl. :D

May 16, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #32,951 of 150,621
Wait!!?? Your kids actually go to bed before 1am and don't lay-up all night in the living room watching TV? They are either younger or you have found an alternative use for Benadryl. :D
One is younger and the other always has earbuds in watching TV on his phone rather than the TV. Only complains if I listen loud enough that he can hear Tool (or any kind of music heavier than Zeppelin) over his earbuds.

May 16, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #32,952 of 150,621
I used to torture my kids with Bob Dylan and they ended up liking his music as well as Tom Waits, go figure.

My son tended to stay up all night so waking him was never easy. In the winter I could go outside and get a snowball and throw it in bed with him, at warmer times of the year I had to settle for ice cubes and frozen food.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #32,953 of 150,621
I used to torture my kids with Bob Dylan and they ended up liking his music as well as Tom Waits, go figure.

My son tended to stay up all night so waking him was never easy. In the winter I could go outside and get a snowball and throw it in bed with him, at warmer times of the year I had to settle for ice cubes and frozen food.
Ha! I did the ice cube thing. Or sometimes just grab his phone and put on music he doesn't like. I can't torture him with Dylan since he likes it and I don't have any Tom Waits (except as guest vocalist on Primus' "Tommy the Cat". I have to move to heavier stuff. Slayer works really well, and any kind of death metal with guttural vocals will send him running for the hills.
Back on the topic of cats, but still related to Tom Waits, Here's "Tommy the Cat"

May 16, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #32,954 of 150,621

Listening to Tom Waits first as I read this.

May 16, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #32,955 of 150,621
My son loved Pink Floyd so at times I would call him in to another room and tell him a video of theirs was on, he would get there to find ABBA.

One of my favorite Waits songs is :
A sweet little bullet from a pretty blue gun.

https://www.google.com/search?q=swe....69i57j0l5.11484j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

not exactly a happy song, but interesting lyrics. My all time favorite lines come from A Little Rain:

She was fifteen years old
And never seen the ocean
She climbed into a van
With a vagabond
And the last thing she said
Was "I love you mom"
And a little rain never hurt no one
And a little rain never hurt no one

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back