Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 15, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #32,911 of 151,213
For those of you unaware, Digikey has a whole series of circuit board rulers that show wire sizes, screw sizes, electronic symbols, etc.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/tools/specialized-tools/233?k=ruler

At around $5 each they are useful and a great way to advertise. Schiit coaster could also be great advertising that serves a purpose, and if you can turn it into an amp, all the better.
We got a bunch of these for free at work a few years ago and most of the engineers yawned at them. I thought that was a shame since they're pretty cool in my eyes. I think I still have one buried in my desk somewhere.

May 15, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #32,912 of 151,213
Yeah I got several free, my cable builders like certain things on them. I noticed later they had them for sale.

Also Digikey shipped me $14,000 of parts by mistake one time. You would not believe the goodies they sent me as a thank you when I called and returned them.

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #32,913 of 151,213
Maybe this has already been discussed, but for the house-proud OCD-types, what's your secret to keeping the brushed aluminium chassis on your Schiit gear looking pristine, free from dust and fingerprints? My Schiit gets kept in my main hifi rack and is very seldom fondled. As a result my Bifrost still looks pretty amazing for a 6yr old unit. I've had my Yggy 2 for just over a month now, during which time it has collected a fine layer of dust. (I live in a house in which an hour after dusting it looks like you haven't dusted, so I generally don't bother dusting anything unless it's so thick you can write your name in it!). Anyway, I lightly dusted it with a soft dry t-shirt following the grain of the metal, and now I notice a few minor milky white smears in the finish (I'm not sure if these were already there under the dust or if my dusting caused them). And what about fingerprints or sweat residue, how should these be cleaned. My approach to everything thus far has just been to use a soft, dry cotton t-shirt, as I know that from cleaning my MacBook, using a cloth damped with water can leave whitish mineral deposits.

I have used 3M stainless steel appliance cleaner/protector that I have for my kitchen appliances. It seems to work well. No streaks or stains.

May 15, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #32,915 of 151,213
(If you love jazz drums -- you must check this one out!!!) :ok_hand:
I've followed Eric Harland for quite a while, but his work in the last couple of years has gone to a new level: never predictable, playful, layered, always connecting deeply with the rest of the band. I'm lucky to hear him live at SFJAZZ at least once a season. His recent gig there with Chris Potter, Dave Holland, and Lionel Loueke was one for the ages. Didn't hurt that we were sitting front row across from him, and the superb interplay among them, with all its friendly challenges and musical jokes, was not just great to hear but also to watch.

May 15, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #32,916 of 151,213
May 15, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #32,919 of 151,213
I've followed Eric Harland for quite a while, but his work in the last couple of years has gone to a new level: never predictable, playful, layered, always connecting deeply with the rest of the band. I'm lucky to hear him live at SFJAZZ at least once a season. His recent gig there with Chris Potter, Dave Holland, and Lionel Loueke was one for the ages. Didn't hurt that we were sitting front row across from him, and the superb interplay among them, with all its friendly challenges and musical jokes, was not just great to hear but also to watch.

Eric is brilliant. His creativity, technical skill and command of rhythm is truly amazing!! His ability to make his presence known without detracting from the other performers is a testament to his understanding of musical synergy.

BTW -- I'm listening to Dave Holland and Aziza quartet as I write this. :)

May 16, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #32,921 of 151,213
So will the coasters still be available for order, even though the DIY amp is scrapped? Would love a couple of them at home, and one for work.

May 16, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #32,922 of 151,213

Users who are viewing this thread

Back