Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 16, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #32,926 of 151,485
May 16, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #32,927 of 151,485
362.gif

May 16, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #32,930 of 151,485
Pietro, do you have a pizza dough recipe to share? Napoli style if possible. Even better if you can pull it off with a glass of wine in one hand, while distractedly listening to La traviata on your Schiit gear (so yes this is on-topic).

I've been trying to recreate this ever since I went to Rome a year ago, but the search for the perfect home made pizza seems like a life journey...

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #32,933 of 151,485
I've followed Eric Harland for quite a while, but his work in the last couple of years has gone to a new level: never predictable, playful, layered, always connecting deeply with the rest of the band. I'm lucky to hear him live at SFJAZZ at least once a season. His recent gig there with Chris Potter, Dave Holland, and Lionel Loueke was one for the ages. Didn't hurt that we were sitting front row across from him, and the superb interplay among them, with all its friendly challenges and musical jokes, was not just great to hear but also to watch.
Never mind.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #32,934 of 151,485
Thanks so much Stled, if I can be of any help please let me know. I could find bits and pieces of information and may have even passed over that page at one point after I skimmed it but did not see the Coaster reference.

Jason has my information so one day I should be experimenting with that board.

As far as electronics I am helping a gentleman from here with functional and versatile headphone cables that will allow for quick changeover from 3.5 mm, to 1/4 inch, to four pin male xlr so he can plug into most any Schiit amp without using adapters or removing the connectors from the headphones themselves. I especially dislike doing that with Sennheiser 650's because of the nearly identical pins.

May 16, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #32,935 of 151,485
May 16, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #32,937 of 151,485
One caution: blowing air INTO a Ragnarok is not a great idea. There are internal heatsinks in there that provide important thermal feedback to the overall topology. They really should be at ambient (internal) temperature, not having cold air blown on them. Blowing air on the outside of the case is fine; that's the intended heatsink.
So I assume this would also hold true for Vidars, if I wanted to put each one on a metal shelf like this if it's rated for the weight, then have a silent fan below that gently blows around the vidar in an upward direction to aid convection for cooling? I'd only turn the fans on if I knew I was going to play at high volume.
So far I've been super happy running 2 Vidars into Maggie 1.7i's, and they sound awesome, with no cooling problems at "sane" volumes. But there are some songs you want to play loud, and I've been able to reach thermal shutdown on the Maggies with some songs whether running one in stereo or two in mono. (with them sitting on separate particle board shelves).
SC-1-18-3.jpg

May 16, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #32,938 of 151,485
So I assume this would also hold true for Vidars, if I wanted to put each one on a metal shelf like this if it's rated for the weight, then have a silent fan below that gently blows around the vidar in an upward direction to aid convection for cooling? I'd only turn the fans on if I knew I was going to play at high volume.
So far I've been super happy running 2 Vidars into Maggie 1.7i's, and they sound awesome, with no cooling problems at "sane" volumes. But there are some songs you want to play loud, and I've been able to reach thermal shutdown on the Maggies with some songs whether running one in stereo or two in mono. (with them sitting on separate particle board shelves).

Blowing air ON the product is never a problem. Forcing air INTO a product can be a problem.

So, you're fine to point whatever hurricane-force fans you want to use at Vidar. (Also, all devices are clipped to the same heatsink, so even blowing air internally isn't that big of a deal--it's much more isothermal by design.)

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 16, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #32,939 of 151,485
Blowing air ON the product is never a problem. Forcing air INTO a product can be a problem.

So, you're fine to point whatever hurricane-force fans you want to use at Vidar. (Also, all devices are clipped to the same heatsink, so even blowing air internally isn't that big of a deal--it's much more isothermal by design.)

Air is such a lousy thermal conductor. How about immersion of Vidar into a tank of mineral oil? It's non-conductive ...

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #32,940 of 151,485
With respect to the coaster amp, here's where we are. I'll get boards out to Paladin79 and whoever wants to mess with them, within reason (PM me.)

Sorry for the images, you can't drop PDFs in here. Or at least it doesn't seem that way.

vali mini 1.00.jpg

Vali Mini BOM.jpg

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back