Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. riffrafff
    That's Eeeevil! :grinning:

2. RCBinTN
    The best way to wake up a sleeping person without angst is to touch their feet. An awaken state will occur immediately.
    One of my first trainings in college at the fraternity house...the pledges had to pull wake for the brothers. :)

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Paladin79 likes this.
  3. Ripper2860
    A squirt bottle filled with cold water always worked on my oldest when she was in middle school ... :D

Paladin79 likes this.
  4. Paladin79
    My son tended to get even. One year for Xmas I went easy on him and told him I would like a dvd of the movie, The Day of the Jackal (Frederick Forsyth book, 1973 movie starring Edward Fox). He said sure thing, The Jackal with Bruce Willis. I said no, no the old version. So Xmas came and he went to the trouble of creating the plastic jacket and dvd label for the new version, disguising the dvd of the one I requested.

5. Ripper2860
    Sounds like a chip off the 'ole block to me.

RCBinTN and fianbarr like this.
  6. Paladin79
    I look forward to getting the Coaster and playing around with it. The Whammy I built a couple weeks ago is a class A amp I use with a Lyr 2 as pre amp, I love this sound but it is fun to experiment.

dieslemat likes this.
  7. yonson
    Haha, that's a good one. I gave my Dad the same set of screwdrivers 3 or 4 years in a row (he had never opened them, just put them in the shop) before it finally dawned on him...

Paladin79 likes this.
  8. sublime9
    Jimmers,

You need to speak to Jason about his Kicad titleblocks. In any case, he posted the most recent schematic. Believe the original one had a SNAFU in a voltage doubler or tripler.

9. jimmers
    Title blocks look OK, and latest one does show it's JAN6418 based :)

10. Paladin79
  11. Jason Stoddard
    There are also the Russian rod pentodes to consider: https://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/summary_russian_rod_pentodes.html

I put a couple of those in a Vali 1 as an experiment, and some people liked the way they sounded (more tubey), but they were lower performance than the 6088s. Probably need too much voltage on them for the coaster.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
    Paladin79 likes this.
  12. Paladin79
    I like the novelty and look forward to figuring out some round enclosures.

13. Ableza
  14. Paladin79
    s-l1600.jpg s-l225.jpg s-l500 (1).jpg Thanks Ableza, that helps. I have a couple thoughts but I need to get the exact diameter of the Coaster board first, I am figuring 4-4.5 inches or so but that is just a guess. I have a couple antique gauges that might work, it would be neat to have a center dial with pointer and maybe some antique cloth covered cables coming out of the bottom. I have plenty of amps so sound is not super crucial but I will see what I can do with the electronics as well. Since there are quart size antique beer cans,and tobacco cans, maybe even something like these. A few holes drilled and a bead of hot glue under the bottom edge of the pc board and I am golden if I find the proper size, an extension on the pot is easy enough to do. In many ways this could be simpler than mounting some rectangular boards I have done.

Once I get the coaster size figured out, I will probably build a few of these to give out as gifts if I am able to buy more coaster boards.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  15. alex5908
    Hello everybody,
    I am looking for dac/amp for HD 6XX headphones. Which budget models of Schiit will do the job?

riffrafff likes this.