Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 17, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #32,971 of 145,625
Hello everybody,
I am looking for dac/amp for HD 6XX headphones. Which budget models of Schiit will do the job?
I have the 6xx and use the Modi Multibit with a Magni 3 as do many others. I can afford higher level equipment but am plenty pleased with this set up and frankly doing just fine. Does it sound better through my Gumby? Yes, but I still get lost in my diminutive bedside setup and am very happy.

May 17, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #32,972 of 145,625
Hello everybody,
I am looking for dac/amp for HD 6XX headphones. Which budget models of Schiit will do the job?

Hi, and welcome. I highly recommend the Magni 3, it's what I use with my 6xx. If you want tubes, many recommend the Vali 2. I ordered a Modi Multibit last night. Not sure what your budget is, but I would imagine any of the Modi line would work well for you.

May 17, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #32,973 of 145,625
May 17, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #32,974 of 145,625
Thanks for your kind and prompt replies.
I have two questions though.
Do I have to buy DACs separately? Actually all of my players are with DAC. Is it a really must to buy extra DACs or is the amp sufficient to power up HD-6XX?
Could you write the price you bough your DACs/Amp for me to get a clue about them?

May 17, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #32,976 of 145,625
Hi, and welcome. I highly recommend the Magni 3, it's what I use with my 6xx. If you want tubes, many recommend the Vali 2. I ordered a Modi Multibit last night. Not sure what your budget is, but I would imagine any of the Modi line would work well for you.

I'm thinking about getting the Vali 2, to complement my Magni 3 (and Mimby and Loki and Eitr) with HD6xx and HE4XX 'phones. Does the Vali 2 have enough power for these?

May 17, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #32,977 of 145,625
Thanks for your kind and prompt replies.
I have two questions though.
Do I have to buy DACs separately? Actually all of my players are with DAC. Is it a really must to buy extra DACs or is the amp sufficient to power up HD-6XX?
Could you write the price you bough your DACs/Amp for me to get a clue about them?
http://www.schiit.com/ You’ll want to check out the Jotunheim and Lyr 3.

May 17, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #32,978 of 145,625
How about the necessity of buying a DAC? Is it a must?

May 17, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #32,980 of 145,625
What players are you going to feed into the amp?
Cayin N6, AKJr, Luxury&Precision L3, Shanling M2, Zishan DSD/Z1,Z3, Walnut V2/S, Aigo mp3 108

May 17, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #32,981 of 145,625
May 17, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #32,982 of 145,625
I'm thinking about getting the Vali 2, to complement my Magni 3 (and Mimby and Loki and Eitr) with HD6xx and HE4XX 'phones. Does the Vali 2 have enough power for these?
I haven't heard a vali 2. Been considering a b stock purchase ($99) to see if I like them. From the bits I have read, (on head-fi & massdrop) they seem to be a common pairing. I remember people saying they lifted the (mythical to me) Sennheiser veil. Power wise a magni 3 does 430 mw into 300 ohm, while the Vali 2 only does 140mw. That being said I find the Magni 3 has way way more power then I need. I barely get the dial past 10 for easy listening on high gain. (I think the loudness/gain/voltage coming from source really affects this).

May 18, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #32,984 of 145,625
Cayin N6, AKJr, Luxury&Precision L3, Shanling M2, Zishan DSD/Z1,Z3, Walnut V2/S, Aigo mp3 108
from the ones I recognize, I think they should put out enough line out voltage so you can feed an amp with them to help drive the 6xx. It looks like there are some wolfson, cirrus and ak dacs in there, so probably no point in getting modi 2, unless you also have other sources like CD player or TV that output sdpif or optical and you want to get something like the modi 2 uber to handle multiple sources. beyond that it's down to what other types of unique approaches to DACs people have taken, like multibit approach discussed at length here, or fpga approaches discussed on the mojo or other chord forums, or beyond that crazy things like high end ladder dacs from msb that you could trade your car in for.
Whether any of it's worth more than what your phone's headphone port (or dongle) does for conversion up for debate.
For me, the HD600 always sounds thin, if that's the right word, or boring. I really like the DT880 a lot better for something in that price range, but for the HD600, the Lyr2 is the amp I like most with them. Although I've swapped out the stock tubes for LISST now anyway, so I can just leave it on at my desk at work all the time, ready to go.

May 18, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #32,985 of 145,625
Hello everybody,

Assuming budget ...

If you want truly budget price but non-budget sound and don't mind separates -- the Magni 3 amp and your choice of Modi DAC (Modi 2, Modi 2 Uber or my favorite, Modi Multibit) will work nicely with HD6XXs. Don't let the price fool you, the Magni 3 can definitely drive the HD6XX to very high levels.

If you want a single chassis AMP/DAC combo, the Jotunheim w/ DAC module is very nice and can run the HD6XX nicley -- especially if you spring for some balanced cables for the headphone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back