Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 11, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #32,777 of 150,363
The members in our secret HF society already tried this out.

Pietro's SECRET tomato sauce:
For 1kg dry or 2kg fresh pasta.

Take a sauce pan and put 100-150ml olive oil on low fire.
When it's hot but not burning (look it up on the bottle because every oil burns at a different temperature).
Throw in chopped unions (3 little reds) and garlic (4 toes) with a handful of Oregano (or Marjory which is the tame version of the same family) a 1/2l bouillon tablet and simmer this all slowly until the unions and garlic are glacé.
Now add 250g (not more) of HQ grounded beef with the lowest fat you can find.
Beter, buy stake and ground it yourself.
Now power up the stove a bit and sauté this to an even mass.
This is hard work for you cannot stop turning it over and over again.
With the fire still high add 500g pomodori passati. (passed/sieved tomato's) and stir it all together.
When it starts to boil again turn down the stove, add 1 tablespoon of sugar and stirr.
Now all tomato sauces give of a yeasty odor at this point.
Let the sauce simmer low.
It's done when the yeasty odor is gone. (I always go for 1 hour minimum)
DONE!!!

Now boil your pasta as per my secret method earlier on this forum.
Here's the link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-1707#post-13779477
Add sauce (not too American much. It's not pasta soup) and grate old Parmesan on top.
Eat as soon as it comes on the table.
In Italy you eat pasta when it comes and you do not wait for the rest to be served.
Not even the Queen of Sheba is allowed to ruin your pasta.
And.. be aware that it is the first course.
Do not overeat and take a nice piece of meat and then a green oil/vinegar/pepper/salt salad after this.
Pasta is eaten with a fork ONLY.

This is a sauce that's as simple as it's genius and takes (me) <15min to make.

Drink a good red wine with it and be sure never to drink wine when you eat salad.
It's embarrassing.

If you drink coffee after dinner, drink espresso.
Never drink Cappuccino after 09:00h.
It's embarrassing.

If you serve a shot of Sambuca, drop 3 roasted (halves) of coffee beans and lit up.
Never an even number (which means, if you have guests, you would be happy to see them leave as soon as possible) and never just one.
It's embarrassing.
Ergo Conclusio 3 pieces.
After you smell it in the air, put a coaster on it and kill the fire.
Drink.

Questions?
Just ask.

I think this is the post for the curious among you on pasta "al dente".

Oct 12, 2017 at 1:14 PM
Post #25603 of 32775

EDIT: Pietro edited his post faster than I could get this posted!

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #32,779 of 150,363
Sambuca is for women.
Men drink Grappa Bianca Secca after dinner.
Italian food is ALWAYS simple.

Examples include anisette and pastis from France, ouzo and mistra from Greece, anesone and sambuca from Italy, anis and ojen from Spain, and kasra from Libya. Substitutes: aniseed (finely ground) OR herbal liqueur OR anise extract (Substitute a teaspoon of anise extract for every 1 or 2 tablespoons liqueur.)

similar liquors, but I doubt one would tell a Greek man ouzo is for women. Star anise is used all over the world.

May 11, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #32,781 of 150,363
It's embarrassing.

You guys on the other side of the pond sure do embarrass easily. We in this great country (America) do not embarrass so easily. Outside of the current political climate, the only thing that embarrasses us is: accidentally leaving your pants zipper open, walking out of the restroom with a trail of toilet paper stuck to your heel, or not knowing you have a piece of salad stuck between your front teeth. Other than that, it's all good in the USA. :wink:

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #32,785 of 150,363
I cannot say I have tried grappa, occasionally I will have limoncello after dinner or anisete, or a nice cognac such as Camus.

May 11, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #32,787 of 150,363
That is certainly cheap entertainment then.

I am awaiting news on the Coaster amps, hopefully I get a chance to make some of those. The idea of matching a cabinet to a round board (if they end up being round) will certainly be fun.

May 11, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #32,788 of 150,363
I cannot say I have tried grappa, occasionally I will have limoncello after dinner or anisete, or a nice cognac such as Camus.
If you decide to try grappa, Tom, be sure to enlist ideas from Pietro first. Some grappa I've encountered is similar to gasoline. :)

May 11, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #32,789 of 150,363
Not a problem, it sounds like it is a form of brandy.

Perhaps Pietro can help me get some quality balsamic vinegar sometime. I usually buy it from Modena but knowing which brands to buy is never easy. Each year we do caprese salad here at work when there are an abundance of homegrown tomatoes.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #32,790 of 150,363
Tried today with just Saga and a single Vidar into the maggies. I was able to drive it into thermal shutdown with a few songs at full volume on the saga. Didn’t measure the surface temp at that point, but did measure about 88dB at ~3 meters from the speakers.
I think I had higher volume than that with 2 Vidar and didn’t shut down. But I guess the thermal load would have also been halved on each amp in that case.

Back in September (2017), @SchiitFerBrainz posted a ~38 minute video about assembling and testing a Vidar. Sir, if you're out there in the aether, please consider additional assembly videos. I find it soothing to watch, and I gain an appreciation for my gear. Sure, I own just a Modi, Magni, Sys, and Loki (and a $2000-or-so Yggdrasil is beyond my means); however, these videos illustrate the care "you" take with assembling the gear. I also can SEE what thermal protections are used. I'd like to see those little Magnis/Modis/Lokis being pumped out to us.

BTW - using sandpaper, electrical tape, and hot-glue to secure the Vidar's LED is an interesting hack. If it works... do it! Perhaps that's why light-tubes are being considered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back