Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 12, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #32,807 of 148,976
Must have been, I swear I walked up to an 6 foot by 3 foot wall of scotch and that was the first bottle I saw lol.

May 12, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #32,809 of 148,976
You'll love it. Excellent selection of new and used albums and turntable listening stations for one to preview before purchase. Excellent used CD selection, too.
Just got back from spending an hour there (Josey Records near Dallas). You're right, it's a phenomenal place. Picked up a stack of 20 used CDs from the $1 section. Money very well spent and will go back often for some of the higher dollar stuff. I don't currently have any vinyl but this place could change my mind. Nice to have a polite, knowledgable staff as well. Thanks again for the tip!

May 12, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #32,810 of 148,976
Glad your experience was equal to mine. Truly a fantastic place and you are absolutely right -- the staff is friendly and helpful.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #32,812 of 148,976
I know that I am going off topic, but I can't resist. Just saw a good movie on Amazon Prime.

Rocket Singh, Salesman of the Year

There is no such thing as off topic in this majestic thread. It's about everything and from time to time about the new Schiit's Adventures too

JQcuZL2.gif

May 12, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #32,813 of 148,976
While I am waiting to build a coaster amp, I may work on a couple more class A amps, I have three but it would be nice to power some efficient speakers with one and I have seen a couple that make me realize how easy the build could be.

May 12, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #32,814 of 148,976
The members in our secret HF society already tried this out.

Pietro's SECRET tomato sauce:
For 1kg dry or 2kg fresh pasta.

Take a sauce pan and put 100-150ml olive oil on low fire.
When it's hot but not burning (look it up on the bottle because every oil burns at a different temperature).
Throw in chopped unions (3 little reds) and garlic (4 toes) with a handful of Oregano (or Marjory which is the tame version of the same family) a 1/2l bouillon tablet and simmer this all slowly until the unions and garlic are glacé.
Now add 250g (not more) of HQ grounded beef with the lowest fat you can find.
Beter, buy stake and ground it yourself.
Now power up the stove a bit and sauté this to an even mass.
This is hard work for you cannot stop turning it over and over again.
With the fire still high add 500g pomodori passati. (passed/sieved tomato's) and stir it all together.
When it starts to boil again turn down the stove, add 1 tablespoon of sugar and stirr.
Now all tomato sauces give of a yeasty odor at this point.
Let the sauce simmer low.
It's done when the yeasty odor is gone. (I always go for 1 hour minimum)
DONE!
Just ask.
Moltissimi grazie, Dottore!

May 13, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #32,818 of 148,976
Thanks Pietro, enjoy.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #32,819 of 148,976
Paladin79,

If you haven't looked into Tekton Design loudspeakers, I strongly suggest doing so. I have built folded horns, various open baffles, owned and/or have been fortunate enough to get quite a bit of listening time on many highly regarded (often well over $10K) speakers etc etc...(TomSix)

Ok I have decided to build Class A monoblocks with an output of about 10 watts each, I came across this review and will probably go with the Lores once I get the amps done. More than likely I will build a set of solid state as well as tube amps so now I just have to decide on a pre-amp and i am leaning towards a Freya but need to hear one before I pull the trigger. I do like the idea of switching between gains. It has some pretty unique features.

Thanks for taking the time to respond Tomsix, as always your opinion is most respected and welcome. Here is part of an article I found talking about use of Lore with Pass F5.

There aren’t many new loudspeakers in the $1000 USD or $1750 CAD range that can compete with the $2100 USD Magnepan 1.7s. I suspect that the Tekton Lore might be one of a handful or perhaps the only one. Several months ago, I had foolishly sold my Tekton M-Lores to a good friend down the street who had finally accepted that his Bose system was not the final word in sound reproduction. I knew the Tekton house sound. I had read the rave reviews of the bigger brother Lore, with its 10 inch driver made by Eminence (USA) and its Audax (France) Gold tweeter, a device used in some loudspeakers costing over $10,000. I thought it was time to re-introduce a high sensitivity speaker to match with my various SET and SEP amps, some of whom were lonely for want of play time. I wasn’t really thinking of my First Watt F5 since it never had any trouble powering my Harbeths and was therefore getting ample play time. But as it turned out, the Lore revealed the sheer magic the F5 can produce–a perfect balance of uber-detail even at low listening levels, solid-state drive and SET-like warmth. The First Watt-Tekton pairing is world-class in every way and it speaks to Americans’ ability to produce wonderful products at real-world prices.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back