Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 10, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #32,761 of 152,607
I have some of that cable on the way but I went with a color besides brown lol. I did not have a chance to read this article thoroughly before nor see all of the photos but I figured it was a lighter shade of brown. You are a wise man to go with that cable Mourip.

Someone earlier said they were shooting for tinned copper braid on their coaxial cables and I hope they had not seen a photo like this I posted. IMG_2568.JPG The cables plugging into the side of the box are silver plated with clear pvc over the braid. Everything else is tinned braid but it is not coaxial cable. Inside are various types of wire under test in twisted pair. Belden sells the braid but it is not a common product. On those side IC's are the same switchcraft connectors that were used in the link above except I have removed the finish on the back shells to get them down to their brass base so they would look better with a steampunk amp. I cut up some very high end cable to build those two IC's and if anyone comes across any silver plated braid on top of OFC let me know. This was a sample sent to me about ten years ago and I have not come across this type of coaxial cable again. I want to say retail was about five dollars a foot but I use it under specialized circumstances.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #32,762 of 152,607
When I saw this the first thing I thought of was:
Short Track Speed Skating at the 2002 Winter Olympics - Men's 1000m

(It's an Australian thing)

Lol I remember that.

Ok earlier there was talk of the Doobie Brothers. About the time I was listening to The Captain and Me, roommates had J. Geils Band...Full House. Songs like Whammer Jammer, and Serves you right to Suffer. Very dissimilar albums but I remember them being purchased about the same time. J Geils band made a slight come back in the eighties as I recall but that was music made to appeal to the masses. Early J. Geils was party music like Hard Drivin' Man. Simple lyrics but the beat was amazing.

Listening to J. Geils with a Lyr 2 as pre-amp into a Whammy amp I built. This music requires a bit of power but I do not recommend doing it for long periods of time.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #32,763 of 152,607
May 10, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #32,764 of 152,607
Thermal shutdown is at 85 degrees C, pretty much the same I've used since the Sumo days.

However, the tips of the fins will be a good bit less than that--the sensors are near the outputs, low on the heat sink.
Tried today with just Saga and a single Vidar into the maggies. I was able to drive it into thermal shutdown with a few songs at full volume on the saga. Didn’t measure the surface temp at that point, but did measure about 88dB at ~3 meters from the speakers.
I think I had higher volume than that with 2 Vidar and didn’t shut down. But I guess the thermal load would have also been halved on each amp in that case.

May 10, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #32,765 of 152,607
On the way to lake tonight I sold my old man on a new phono/amp/speaker setup. Going to be replacing the all in one he got for Christmas from jcp about 10 yrs ago. Will definitely check out Sol and Mani in the next few months. Anyone got suggestions on a good pair of 150-250 speakers? He mainly listens to classic rock, some 60-80s country. Crutchfield has some elac debut b5s a d Martin & Logan LX16s on sale for under 250. I haven't done any research on them thus far.

Also we just uncorked a bottle of Scotch at the family cabin. Heading out for fire, music, booze and conversation. Hope you all get a chance for similar gatherings with friends and family in the near future. People who love and are loved live longer (according to the internet).

IMG_20180510_214728.jpg

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #32,766 of 152,607
Ahhhhhhh. Single malt scotch whisky.

Go with the ELAC's. They punch WAY above their weight and is the choice of PS Audio when paired with their Sprout integrated. Very efficient and as good as one can get at the price and a bit more. Just about anything famed speaker designer Andrew Jones designs is a very safe bet. Of course, I may be biased, as I own the next up in the line, the ELAC UniFi B5's and absolutely love them!!

Enjoy your time with pops. Time flies.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #32,767 of 152,607
Ahhhhhhh. Single malt scotch whisky.

Go with the ELAC's. They punch WAY above their weight and is the choice of PS Audio when paired with their Sprout integrated. Very efficient and as good as one can get at the price and a bit more. Just about anything famed speaker designer Andrew Jones designs is a very safe bet. Of course, I may be biased, as I own the next up in the line, the ELAC UniFi B5's and absolutely love them!!

Enjoy your time with pops. Time flies.
Thanks for the advice, time does fly, I had 99 reasons to skip out on this weekend, but family is #1/1a (faith). nothing is guaranteed (except Schiit). you can't replace this sheet if you miss it/once it's gone.

May 11, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #32,769 of 152,607
I am glad it arrived safely Pietro, I may get a pasta recipe from you sometime. It certainly looks like you take great care with your setup and have some very good devices.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #32,770 of 152,607
I have some of that cable on the way but I went with a color besides brown lol. I did not have a chance to read this article thoroughly before nor see all of the photos but I figured it was a lighter shade of brown. You are a wise man to go with that cable Mourip.

Someone earlier said they were shooting for tinned copper braid on their coaxial cables and I hope they had not seen a photo like this I posted. The cables plugging into the side of the box are silver plated with clear pvc over the braid. Everything else is tinned braid but it is not coaxial cable. Inside are various types of wire under test in twisted pair. Belden sells the braid but it is not a common product. On those side IC's are the same switchcraft connectors that were used in the link above except I have removed the finish on the back shells to get them down to their brass base so they would look better with a steampunk amp. I cut up some very high end cable to build those two IC's and if anyone comes across any silver plated braid on top of OFC let me know. This was a sample sent to me about ten years ago and I have not come across this type of coaxial cable again. I want to say retail was about five dollars a foot but I use it under specialized circumstances.
RG-223 and RG-214 are both silver plated copper braid, double shielded coaxial cables. You could use it as it is, or, if you are ambitious, take the cable apart and liberate the silver plated copper braid. You might find some of this cable on the surplus market, it is used in a lot of Government radio installations.

May 11, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #32,771 of 152,607
On the way to lake tonight I sold my old man on a new phono/amp/speaker setup. Going to be replacing the all in one he got for Christmas from jcp about 10 yrs ago. Will definitely check out Sol and Mani in the next few months. Anyone got suggestions on a good pair of 150-250 speakers? He mainly listens to classic rock, some 60-80s country. Crutchfield has some elac debut b5s a d Martin & Logan LX16s on sale for under 250. I haven't done any research on them thus far.

Also we just uncorked a bottle of Scotch at the family cabin. Heading out for fire, music, booze and conversation. Hope you all get a chance for similar gatherings with friends and family in the near future. People who love and are loved live longer (according to the internet).

Excellent choice of single malt from the only distillery that claims to have its own steam locomotive.

May 11, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #32,772 of 152,607
I have built with those before, the cable I have here was made for audio applications but it was so pricey that the company who sampled it to me must not have sold much.

I am trying to decide if I should build two class A monoblocks, I have class A headphone amps I could use as pre-amps into them but it would mean buying highly efficient speakers as well. So about $1500 depending on speakers chosen and me building the amps myself. Around 15 watts each, class a is very inefficient but sounds so good.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #32,773 of 152,607
I am glad it arrived safely Pietro, I may get a pasta recipe from you sometime. It certainly looks like you take great care with your setup and have some very good devices.
The members in our secret HF society already tried this out.

Pietro's SECRET tomato sauce:
For 1kg dry or 2kg fresh pasta.

Take a sauce pan and put 100-150ml olive oil on low fire.
When it's hot but not burning (look it up on the bottle because every oil burns at a different temperature).
Throw in chopped unions (3 little reds) and garlic (4 toes) with a handful of Oregano (or Marjory which is the tame version of the same family) a 1/2l bouillon tablet and simmer this all slowly until the unions and garlic are glacé.
Now add 250g (not more) of HQ grounded beef with the lowest fat you can find.
Beter, buy stake and ground it yourself.
Now power up the stove a bit and sauté this to an even mass.
This is hard work for you cannot stop turning it over and over again.
With the fire still high add 500g pomodori passati. (passed/sieved tomato's) and stir it all together.
When it starts to boil again turn down the stove, add 1 tablespoon of sugar and stirr.
Now all tomato sauces give of a yeasty odor at this point.
Let the sauce simmer low.
It's done when the yeasty odor is gone. (I always go for 1 hour minimum)
DONE!!!

Now boil your pasta as per my secret method earlier on this forum.
Here's the link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-1707#post-13779477
Add sauce (not too American much. It's not pasta soup) and grate old Parmesan on top.
Eat as soon as it comes on the table.
In Italy you eat pasta when it comes and you do not wait for the rest to be served.
Not even the Queen of Sheba is allowed to ruin your pasta.
And.. be aware that it is the first course.
Do not overeat and take a nice piece of meat and then a green oil/vinegar/pepper/salt salad after this.
Pasta is eaten with a fork ONLY.

This is a sauce that's as simple as it's genius and takes (me) <15min to make.

Drink a good red wine with it and be sure never to drink wine when you eat salad.
It's embarrassing.

If you drink coffee after dinner, drink espresso.
Never drink Cappuccino after 09:00h.
It's embarrassing.

If you serve a shot of Sambuca, drop 3 roasted (halves) of coffee beans and lit up.
Never an even number (which means, if you have guests, you would be happy to see them leave as soon as possible) and never just one.
It's embarrassing.
Ergo Conclusio 3 pieces.
After you smell it in the air, put a coaster on it and kill the fire.
Drink.

Questions?
Just ask.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #32,775 of 152,607
Thanks Pietro! And I like sambuco, there are several countries that have a similar liquor. Odd you mention number of coffee beans. My son presided over the wedding of a friend in Japan and as I recall when money is given it has to be increments of two never three cause that is considered bad luck. The smaller the amount, the more you dislike the newlyweds also. I also took some classes on etiquette in Japan and China and once again numbers were very important.

I make chicken and veal picatta on occasion but it is relatively simple, luckily we have a full kitchen at work so we dine fairly well at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back