Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 11, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #32,791 of 150,285
belden 8412.jpg This is the black jacketed version of Belden 8402 that someone mentioned the other day. This is pretty beefy cable, well shielded, rubber jacket. (Black version is 8412). This should make some exceptional interconnects.

May 11, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #32,792 of 150,285
Not a problem, it sounds like it is a form of brandy.

Perhaps Pietro can help me get some quality balsamic vinegar sometime. I usually buy it from Modena but knowing which brands to buy is never easy. Each year we do caprese salad here at work when there are an abundance of homegrown tomatoes.

Yes, and you have very good tomatoes in Indiana.
Enjoy, Ed

May 11, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #32,793 of 150,285
May 11, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #32,794 of 150,285
There is a musician from Texas who passed away not too long ago, Guy Clark, he did a song about them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=guy...rome..69i57.6976j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Thanks for the tune, been a long time since I heard that. I believe the last time was a family reunion about 25 yrs ago.
Our tomatoes have been poor the last couple of years here in the St. Louis, Mo. area, to hot to early or like this year late frost
delayed setting them out until a couple of weeks ago.
Going through there next week, the wife and I have to make a short trip to N. Carolina and like to avoid most of Tenn. just prefer the drive
through Ky.

Ed

May 11, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #32,795 of 150,285
I have built with those before, the cable I have here was made for audio applications but it was so pricey that the company who sampled it to me must not have sold much.

I am trying to decide if I should build two class A monoblocks, I have class A headphone amps I could use as pre-amps into them but it would mean buying highly efficient speakers as well. So about $1500 depending on speakers chosen and me building the amps myself. Around 15 watts each, class a is very inefficient but sounds so good.

Paladin79,

If you haven't looked into Tekton Design loudspeakers, I strongly suggest doing so. I have built folded horns, various open baffles, owned and/or have been fortunate enough to get quite a bit of listening time on many highly regarded (often well over $10K) speakers etc etc...

I owned a pair of Tekton 'Lore' floor-standers for couple of years, and I can say that at $1,100 (with optional grills) they were by far the best all-around loudspeakers I've encountered under, say, $2,500. In fact, they had some exceptional qualities which were noteworthy regardless of price. I reluctantly sold the Tektons due to moving, etc and have missed them since.

I'm quite particular in demanding good midrange/vocals reproduction from loudspeakers, and also a bit of a resolution junkie. Though the Tekton Lores were not the final word in resolution, they nonetheless delivered far more detail and nuance than expected, in addition to producing deep articulate bass, great dynamics and an impressive sense of scale. All of the amplifiers I used at home with the Lores were rated at 10 watts output or less --in fact 1 or 2 good watts was really all the power I needed.

FYI: Like Schiit, Tekton builds with pride and quality right here in the USA :)

At any rate, I would not hesitate to recommend Tekton to any serious music lover

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #32,800 of 150,285
Paladin79,

If you haven't looked into Tekton Design loudspeakers, I strongly suggest doing so. I have built folded horns, various open baffles, owned and/or have been fortunate enough to get quite a bit of listening time on many highly regarded (often well over $10K) speakers etc etc...

I owned a pair of Tekton 'Lore' floor-standers for couple of years, and I can say that at $1,100 (with optional grills) they were by far the best all-around loudspeakers I've encountered under, say, $2,500. In fact, they had some exceptional qualities which were noteworthy regardless of price. I reluctantly sold the Tektons due to moving, etc and have missed them since.

I'm quite particular in demanding good midrange/vocals reproduction from loudspeakers, and also a bit of a resolution junkie. Though the Tekton Lores were not the final word in resolution, they nonetheless delivered far more detail and nuance than expected, in addition to producing deep articulate bass, great dynamics and an impressive sense of scale. All of the amplifiers I used at home with the Lores were rated at 10 watts output or less --in fact 1 or 2 good watts was really all the power I needed.

At any rate, I would not hesitate to recommend Tekton to any serious music lover

I would love some Tekton speakers but getting them in the UK would be ridiculously expensive sadly, I wanted a Rythmik sub as well but I have the same problem. Pesky import taxes!

May 11, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #32,801 of 150,285
On the way to lake tonight I sold my old man on a new phono/amp/speaker setup. Going to be replacing the all in one he got for Christmas from jcp about 10 yrs ago. Will definitely check out Sol and Mani in the next few months. Anyone got suggestions on a good pair of 150-250 speakers? He mainly listens to classic rock, some 60-80s country. Crutchfield has some elac debut b5s a d Martin & Logan LX16s on sale for under 250. I haven't done any research on them thus far.

Also we just uncorked a bottle of Scotch at the family cabin. Heading out for fire, music, booze and conversation. Hope you all get a chance for similar gatherings with friends and family in the near future. People who love and are loved live longer (according to the internet).

Ok this is just wrong, I stop on the way home tonight to grab some scotch and somehow I was subliminally drawn to Aberfeldy, I have absolutely no idea why.

May 11, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #32,802 of 150,285
Paladin79,

I will check out Tekton if I decide to go in the Class A Monoblock direction. It has been years since I have looked for highly efficient speakers and can remember some of the Klipsch folded horn designs. At one point in my career I did some speaker building with a friend who got his phd in physics locally but that has been a while ago.

Unfortunately I currently work with some gentlemen who left Klipsch and I got loaded up with all kinds of speakers for very little money but none that ten watts will push well so I have to give it some thought. I am always open to checking out other products so if I get serious about building the amps I will certainly need something else.

May 11, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #32,804 of 150,285
I own power amps and do not need more at this time but Class A is always tempting. I have class A headphone amps now and they are impressive. I like the concept of Ragnarok, enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back