Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 17, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #31,456 of 150,687
"Sessions from the 17th Ward", perhaps?

It's a nice sounding Chesky binaural recording done in a NYC church. I love the string sounds on this one. I think I saw it mentioned on the website of some random magazine as a "test disc", and I'm glad I added it to my repertoire.

That is one album and I want to say the other is Scribbled Folk Songs but I am going from memory.

I have most everything Chesky has done and I believe he does most of his recordings in churches just for the acoustics. He does not add reverb, if there is any, it occurs naturally.

On one album you hear raindrops hitting the roof in a song or two. There is spacing but on a couple songs you get a very good idea if the musician is standing or sitting. I own many thousands of albums but, these are among my favorite recordings as far as the quality of the process and finished result.

I should not leave Hotel California off of my list of songs with which I test.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #31,457 of 150,687
A remote would be nice but more importantly I'd like more steps in the volume control to make finer adjustments (as with Freya). I wonder also if any of the improvements to Yggdrasil's analogue boards would be applicable to the Ragnarok.
I had the same thought about the number of steps in the volume control when listening to the Ragnarok at AXPONA - in high gain mode the steps seemed a bit large.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the Schiit room on the third floor of AXPONA sounded very nice - Gungnir, Freya, and two Vidars with Salk Song3-A speakers.

Attachments

• IMG_20180413_135334266.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 17, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #31,458 of 150,687
I have most everything Chesky has done and I believe he does most of his recordings in churches just for the acoustics. He does not add reverb, if there is any, it occurs naturally.

On one album you hear raindrops hitting the roof in a song or two. There is spacing but on a couple songs you get a very good idea if the musician is standing or sitting. I own many thousands of albums but, these are among my favorite recordings as far as the quality of the process and finished result.

Not only is it natural room reverb, but the mics he uses are omni mics on the side of a human head analogue to try to record exactly what your ears would hear if you were there.

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #31,459 of 150,687
Very true, and from what I understand some of the earlier work did not match well with speaker systems but the Binaural plus does. One should not get this confused with binaural chanting or binaural tones.

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #31,460 of 150,687
I am not aware of that album but I will check it out.
I am always curious what folks listen to when they are testing amps, dacs, or headphones and I have some personal favorites. (Many of them engineered by Alan Parsons.) There are also some Chesky recordings that I go to over and over as I make sure everything in my system is working as it should be.

Anyone want to list personal favorites or should we get back on track?

The Beatles “Abbey Road”. It was the first LP I bought, and is always the first music I play after making changes to the system.
The first Crosby, Stills and Nash album, because i love it.
Fairport Convention “Liege & Lief”. It can sound pretty opaque, so if any piece of gear can get this sounding half decent, it’s made a good first impression.

Plus whatever music I am enjoying at the time.

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #31,461 of 150,687
I can remember where I was when I bought Sgt. Peppers, Abbey Road, and the white album. The first Crosby, Stills and Nash is also an all time favorite. I bought it the same time I bought the first Creedence album to the best of my recollection.

I will have to check out Fairport Convention.

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #31,462 of 150,687
Many 1960's stereo albums were fairly rigidly L/R channelized, with not a lot of "infill" mixed into the middle. Stereo was pretty young, mastering engineers were trying to wrap their heads around how to get the most from the technology, and much of what is now considered standard studio practice and 'rules of thumb' was still under formation.

Having said that, there are some truly remarkable/ artistic achievements of recording and mastering from the 1960's that do stand the test of time.

As far as headphone listening goes: yeah, rigidly L/R channelized recordings can often sound not that great, if not disconcertingly weird. Some of those old stereo albums really only sound okay with loudspeakers.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #31,463 of 150,687
@wink...gluehwine indeed!
The best thing about the German Christmas markets I visited, especially when the temperature was near freezing!
It even pairs well with bratwurst, brotchen and zenf.

For some unknown reason I talked my employees into cooking bratwurst this Friday, it will be 50 degrees (fahrenheit) out or so but somehow it sounds good right now. I do believe there will be beer involved in the cooking process.

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #31,464 of 150,687
For some unknown reason I talked my employees into cooking bratwurst this Friday, it will be 50 degrees (fahrenheit) out or so but somehow it sounds good right now. I do believe there will be beer involved in the cooking process.

As a braising liquid for the brats, or a lubricant for the chefs? Preferably both.

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #31,465 of 150,687
Unfortunately I have to set an example, but if some beer is accidentally imbibed by someone slaving over a hot grill that is just a chance I will have to take. There are probably statutes against not having beer with brats, or wine with paella or chicken piccata.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #31,466 of 150,687
Unfortunately I have to set an example, but if some beer is accidentally imbibed by someone slaving over a hot grill that is just a chance I will have to take. There are probably statutes against not having beer with brats, or wine with paella or chicken piccata.

You could do it the Wisconsin way - poach them in beer with onions in a foil pan on the grill, then grill them to get a nice char on the casing. That will give you an excuse to have beer handy.

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #31,467 of 150,687

I think it's covered in the Geneva Conventions.

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #31,468 of 150,687
You could do it the Wisconsin way - poach them in beer with onions in a foil pan on the grill, then grill them to get a nice char on the casing. That will give you an excuse to have beer handy.
That's the best idea I've heard in a Long Time!

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #31,469 of 150,687

That does sound good!

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #31,470 of 150,687

Users who are viewing this thread

Back