Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 17, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #31,428 of 148,994
Hey all,

Sorry, I've been a bit busy around here (and actually ended up with the flu, so I didn't go to Axpona.) However, I'm getting caught up and should have the final coaster amp chapter for you this week.

The good news is a big part of the busy is in making things better across the board, and finishing up some stuff on new products. I needed to make some tweaks to the Sol parts--really just one, a machined part that made much more sense as a bent metal piece, but that one affected another part in the assembly, so we had to change that one too.

Thanks for your patience, there are a lot of balls in the air around here.

All the best,
Jason

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #31,429 of 148,994
Hey, no problem Paladin79. I was lost in thought anyway thanks to rkw.....and was thinking "balls to the wall" works also.....

What does a centrifugal governor have to do with “balls to the wall”?

Apr 17, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #31,431 of 148,994
What does a centrifugal governor have to do with “balls to the wall”?
I believe the expression is an American colloquialism coined by steam locomotive engineers (the guys what drive the train...) because when the mechanical governor spins, the balls go outward, and the closer to the "wall" they get, the faster the train is going. I think "flat out" would be an analogue. This is one of the expressions I hear people use; they seem to know the meaning, but not the origin when asked. Most of the responses I have heard tended toward the vulgar side... My personal favorite definition is: "You need to come out of the throttle before the boiler explodes!"

Apr 17, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #31,432 of 148,994
I never knew the explanation for that expression so thanks for that. It may be similar to the expression "beating a dead horse", it was originally flogging a dead horse and flogging means to sell. The dead horse was like a duffel bag on sailing ships. Crew members would put worthless odds and ends into the bag and officers would buy it to give the crew members money for rum. Thus flogging a dead horse was selling something of little value. I have read this but cannot attest to its veracity.

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #31,433 of 148,994
IT WAS A JOKE.

and as long as I spend the money, who give s a flying **** why i'm here?
Ah. Well, attempt at humor = failed. And you know what, I don't give a flying anything that is against forum rules and gets censored, nor do I care about how anyone spends their money, but I do question the motives of people on Internet fan forums who post constant negativism and seemingly intend to create discord. There is a name for those sorts of people and when they reveal themselves, it's better for everyone else who enjoys the forum if they go away. So, in your case, if the shoe fits...

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #31,434 of 148,994
other topic then!
Music: well for those that consider elektronische Musik music.
Anyone heard/liked the album Lunar Glyphs from Desolate? (an outlet of Sven Weisemann; not the metal band) I find it is fantastic. Great to work with, to lounge, to cook and a real listening joy on the main 2ch system :)

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #31,435 of 148,994
Ah. Well, attempt at humor = failed. And you know what, I don't give a flying anything that is against forum rules and gets censored, nor do I care about how anyone spends their money, but I do question the motives of people on Internet fan forums who post constant negativism and seemingly intend to create discord. There is a name for those sorts of people and when they reveal themselves, it's better for everyone else who enjoys the forum if they go away. So, in your case, if the shoe fits...

It should be easy. He's already in his taxi.

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #31,436 of 148,994
other topic then!
Music: well for those that consider elektronische Musik music.
Anyone heard/liked the album Lunar Glyphs from Desolate? (an outlet of Sven Weisemann; not the metal band) I find it is fantastic. Great to work with, to lounge, to cook and a real listening joy on the main 2ch system :)

I am not aware of that album but I will check it out.
I am always curious what folks listen to when they are testing amps, dacs, or headphones and I have some personal favorites. (Many of them engineered by Alan Parsons.) There are also some Chesky recordings that I go to over and over as I make sure everything in my system is working as it should be.

Anyone want to list personal favorites or should we get back on track?

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #31,438 of 148,994
Anybody hear anything new about a Ragnarok update? Getting close to pulling the trigger this summer but deathly afraid an update is just around the corner.
The Schiit representative at AXPONA in the MrSpeakers booth told me to be patient when I said the Ragnarok needs a remote control. He reassured me that they do hear our feedback and to be patient. They had an Yggdrasil-Ragnarok stack with Ether Flow that sounded good to my ears. I forgot to ask if the Yggdrasil had the analog 2 upgrade. I will continue to wait for an upgraded Ragnarok - want to try it with my Polk Lsi7 bookshelf speakers.

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #31,439 of 148,994
A remote would be nice but more importantly I'd like more steps in the volume control to make finer adjustments (as with Freya). I wonder also if any of the improvements to Yggdrasil's analogue boards would be applicable to the Ragnarok.

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #31,440 of 148,994
I am not aware of that album but I will check it out.
I am always curious what folks listen to when they are testing amps, dacs, or headphones and I have some personal favorites. (Many of them engineered by Alan Parsons.) There are also some Chesky recordings that I go to over and over as I make sure everything in my system is working as it should be.

Anyone want to list personal favorites or should we get back on track?
Nice idea!
My current personal TOP 5 albums:
Desolate - Lunar Glyphs
Yuri Honing - Goldbrun
Morcheeba - The Antidote
Agnes Obel - Aventine
Moderat - Moderat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back