Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 17, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #31,486 of 151,658
I think it's time to find an appropriate inverter for Pietro's bike so he can run his Schiit Stack while riding.
XP-1100.png

hqdefault.jpg

Yes, 240 v 50 Hz available, and, yes, the waveform looks that good. Pedal hard, Doctor! :)

Apr 18, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #31,488 of 151,658
The Schiit representative at AXPONA in the MrSpeakers booth told me to be patient when I said the Ragnarok needs a remote control. He reassured me that they do hear our feedback and to be patient. They had an Yggdrasil-Ragnarok stack with Ether Flow that sounded good to my ears. I forgot to ask if the Yggdrasil had the analog 2 upgrade. I will continue to wait for an upgraded Ragnarok - want to try it with my Polk Lsi7 bookshelf speakers.
Hey, thanks for the reply. What was your sense of the situation. Do you think he might have just been blowing smoke or do you really think there is a new Ragnarok in the offing?

Apr 18, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #31,489 of 151,658
I think some research on bicycle locks might be in order. One of my tenants left a bicycle chained to a deck post at some property I own and I never did saw through that thing. I finally cut the frame of the old bicycle after trying bolt cutters, grinders, and whatever else I could think of (short of dynamite) to remove an old bicycle that was on my property. I think the lock was made of kryptonite or a reasonable facsimile.

As far as I can see, Axa Lock is already on the rear wheel... Now it just needs to be used :wink:

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #31,490 of 151,658
That sounds like good advice if I happen to have liquid nitrogen with me. I have only seen that on cooking shows. I also corrected my spelling on facsimile, sometimes I just sound words out and the spell checker accepts them.
My wife is back in town and thus far we have kept our discussions to Frank Lloyd Wright and Falling Water in Pennsylvania and she really has not noticed the abuse our domicile incurred while she was away. Luckily none of the cats are dyed a deep red to match some headphone cables i was working on. One time I filled an entire room with the ashes from a wood stove when a shop vac malfunctioned. Who knew a himalayan cat was capable of giving you a dirty look as it tried to regain its original fur color? Some animals are incapable of taking a joke. I switched to Ragdolls after that, they are less emotional.

My wife and I went to Falling Water last fall. Amazing house but I would not want to live in it!

Apr 18, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #31,491 of 151,658
Hey, thanks for the reply. What was your sense of the situation. Do you think he might have just been blowing smoke or do you really think there is a new Ragnarok in the offing?
My sense was that they are truly working on it, but I didn't get a sense of the timing. As we've seen with Jason's previous posts on product development, specifically with Ragnarok, any number of challenges and setbacks can delay the introduction of a new product.

Apr 18, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #31,492 of 151,658
That's the "modern" Wisconsin way and is easier. The original way is to start them on the grill (from raw) and keep hot (to serve) in a pan with a medium sauted (near caramelized) onion, can of beer, and 1 oz of butter in equal proportions (use the butter to caramelize the onions.) Also, serve on hard rolls and not hot dog buns - kaiser or other "german" style rolls can do in a pinch.
That's how my dad did it back in the day. :beer::hotdog::thumbsup:

Apr 18, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #31,493 of 151,658
My wife and I went to Falling Water last fall. Amazing house but I would not want to live in it!

You went at a lovely time of year then, fall in that area has to be remarkable.

I think it was built more for a weekend get away. According to the guide, the owners called Wright just after the house was built to say the roof leaked. He told them to put a bucket under it lol. I am originally from Illinois and have toured a few of Wright's designs over there. I could be wrong but it seems like he came up with Lincoln logs, wooden toys for building little log houses.

I have the same birthday as FLW, and may be hiring a person with the same birthday as well. I have studied probabilities some and I believe in a random group of forty people, a very high percentage of the time (85% or so?), two will share the same birthdays.

Apr 18, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #31,494 of 151,658
You went at a lovely time of year then, fall in that area has to be remarkable.

I think it was built more for a weekend get away. According to the guide, the owners called Wright just after the house was built to say the roof leaked. He told them to put a bucket under it lol. I am originally from Illinois and have toured a few of Wright's designs over there. I could be wrong but it seems like he came up with Lincoln logs, wooden toys for building little log houses.

I have the same birthday as FLW, and may be hiring a person with the same birthday as well. I have studied probabilities some and I believe in a random group of forty people, a very high percentage of the time (85% or so?), two will share the same birthdays.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

99.9% probability with 70 people, although if your birthday is February 29, I don't think it's 70 people any longer.

Apr 18, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #31,495 of 151,658
That's how my dad did it back in the day. :beer::hotdog::thumbsup:

My employee bought enough bratwurst to feed a small army if any of you are in the Indianapolis area this Friday. He also located whole seed french dijon. We will do caramelized peppers and onions on them as far as I know. I do believe they will baste in some Yuengling black and tan beer prior to being grilled.

Apr 18, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #31,496 of 151,658
As far as I can see, Axa Lock is already on the rear wheel... Now it just needs to be used :wink:
Here are the details about Pietro's bike. It's the most advanced bike that I've ever seen.
It has infinitely adjustable gears and indeed an ART-certified lock on the rear wheel.
Pietro plans to lock it inside a private room (not the community room) in the cellar of his building, cable-locked to an eyelet in the wall.
https://www.fietsenwinkel.nl/victesse-strada-n330-hm-2018-lage-instap

Apr 18, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #31,497 of 151,658
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

99.9% probability with 70 people, although if your birthday is February 29, I don't think it's 70 people any longer.

I do believe I was close on 85% at 40 people, it has been a few years since I messed with this.

There is also a great problem about the probabilities of picking one of three doors concealing a big prize. You choose a door but the host does not show you what is behind your door, but he opens another door and the prize is not there. You are then offered the chance to keep your door or take the other door you did not originally pick. You should always change doors. It sounds like your odds are one in three but they no longer are since you now choosing between two doors. if you keep your original door the odds stay at one in three, so you always change. This puzzle leads to arguments but it can be mathematically proven that you should always change lol. I think this is referred to as the Monty Hall puzzle.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #31,499 of 151,658
There is also a great problem about the probabilities of picking one of three doors concealing a big prize. You choose a door but the host does not show you what is behind your door, but he opens another door and the prize is not there. You are then offered the chance to keep your door or take the other door you did not originally pick. You should always change doors. It sounds like your odds are one in three but they no longer are since you now choosing between two doors. if you keep your original door the odds stay at one in three, so you always change. This puzzle leads to arguments but it can be mathematically proven that you should always change lol. I think this is referred to as the Monty Hall puzzle.

https://math.ucsd.edu/~crypto/Monty/monty.html

Here's a simulator to try it out.

Apr 18, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #31,500 of 151,658

They offer a good explanation on that site as well, thanks Wabe!
I like such things, there are also some bets that you have a high probability of winning like opening a corked bottle of wine with your shoe, (it does not work with twist on caps). Or betting someone you can drink 10 ounce glasses of beer before they can drink an equal number of beers in shot glasses.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back