Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 17, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #31,441 of 150,839
A remote would be nice but more importantly I'd like more steps in the volume control to make finer adjustments (as with Freya). I wonder also if any of the improvements to Yggdrasil's analogue boards would be applicable to the Ragnarok.

I'm no EE, but I would think the design of an analog output stage of a DAC would be pretty different from an integrated headphone/speaker amp. If there are any improvements to be gained from other products, I would think they would likely come from Vidar and Lyr 3 or Magni 3.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #31,442 of 150,839
Nice idea!
My current personal TOP 5 albums:
Desolate - Lunar Glyphs
Yuri Honing - Goldbrun
Morcheeba - The Antidote
Agnes Obel - Aventine
Moderat - Moderat

Luckily I use Tidal and perhaps I will find those albums there to check out. I generally run most things through a Valhalla 2 for first listen, then on to other amps.

favorites of mine include
albums
Timeout by Brubeck
Excitable Boy-Warren Zevon
Noah Walls-Chesky album
Amber Rubarth-Chesky album again, two of them but I do not have the names in front of me
Turn of a Friendly Card-Parsons
Harvest-Neil Young
Dark Side of the Moon-Pink Floyd

song....Brown Eyed Girl- Morrison
Perfect Day-Lou Reed
Spanish Harlem- Rebecca Pigeon Chesky recording
Cielito Lindo- Marta Gomez Chesky recording

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #31,443 of 150,839
The Schiit representative at AXPONA in the MrSpeakers booth told me to be patient when I said the Ragnarok needs a remote control. He reassured me that they do hear our feedback and to be patient. They had an Yggdrasil-Ragnarok stack with Ether Flow that sounded good to my ears. I forgot to ask if the Yggdrasil had the analog 2 upgrade. I will continue to wait for an upgraded Ragnarok - want to try it with my Polk Lsi7 bookshelf speakers.

I hope there’s an upgrade option. Though highly unlikely as schiit only do that to their dacs. Still crossing my fingers.

Apr 17, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #31,445 of 150,839
That might certainly help as well as not starting a sentence with OMG as though there is moral outrage about to follow.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #31,446 of 150,839
I believe the expression is an American colloquialism coined by steam locomotive engineers (the guys what drive the train...) because when the mechanical governor spins, the balls go outward, and the closer to the "wall" they get, the faster the train is going. I think "flat out" would be an analogue. This is one of the expressions I hear people use; they seem to know the meaning, but not the origin when asked. Most of the responses I have heard tended toward the vulgar side... My personal favorite definition is: "You need to come out of the throttle before the boiler explodes!"

It comes aviation, not from the steam locomotive industry. See here:

http://www.wordorigins.org/index.php/balls_to_the_wall/

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #31,447 of 150,839
Both explanations make sense and if indeed the expression was not heard before the period the author states then that may well be true. It is why I mentioned I had read something explained a certain way. I get into these discussions all the time and they get pretty tricky to pin down. I once read the word "tank" originated in WW 1 because huge metal tanks were used to hide the armored vehicles when they were transported on trains. Then I read two or three other likely sources of the word.

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #31,449 of 150,839
The last couple comments were statements that might help avoid misunderstanding in the future and not harsh IMHO.:smile_phones: @inmytaxi was probably tougher on himself than he needed to be. At times it is easy for anyone to be misunderstood.

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #31,450 of 150,839
I was an occasional lurker here for a long time. I have one of the first Yggy's. It was not the first piece of Schiit to impress me. I thought it was an exceptional dac. I was nervous about posting that observation because it seemed there was always someone on a rant...ranting about a hobby or pastime, but because Mike encourages such ones to take up stamp collecting instead of hifi I finally joined and posted.

Schiit is not the only company that is open to suggestions, cares about it's employees and works to make their products better. It has been interesting to follow the product development over the years especially into two channel. It just happened to coincide with a time in my life when more important responsibilities were lessening and less important things like Schiit could be interesting. I have never, and never will bring anything electronic to market!

George Benson "White Rabbit" album especially "El Mar" has been a long time favorite. Either the imaging spread around the sound stage especially deep behind the speakers is better or it's not.

Our beloved voice of reason Ableza functions best when he is on his second pot of coffee.....

If I ramble any more I will turn into a toad!

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #31,451 of 150,839
Very well said Panda and I will check out White Rabbit later tonight!

I tried playing it through Tidal on my phone but no luck, my sound setup at work is a bit limited.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #31,453 of 150,839
Luckily I use Tidal and perhaps I will find those albums there to check out. I generally run most things through a Valhalla 2 for first listen, then on to other amps.

favorites of mine include
albums
Timeout by Brubeck
Excitable Boy-Warren Zevon
Noah Walls-Chesky album
Amber Rubarth-Chesky album again, two of them but I do not have the names in front of me
Turn of a Friendly Card-Parsons
Harvest-Neil Young
Dark Side of the Moon-Pink Floyd

song....Brown Eyed Girl- Morrison
Perfect Day-Lou Reed
Spanish Harlem- Rebecca Pigeon Chesky recording
Cielito Lindo- Marta Gomez Chesky recording

keep on going guys with suggestions. Love to type in names on yourtube or spotify that I don't know and then to experience my own reaction. The good surprises are the best usually. The worst was Celine Dion, the only CD I am happy that I lost!!!

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #31,454 of 150,839
There are plenty of things I listen to because of lyrics (Tom Waits, Chuck E. Weiss, Captain Beefheart) but as well as I might know the songs, they are not what I use to judge equipment or devices. I am a fan of binaural plus recordings for the purity of sound and instrument spacing but that is just me. We all like what we like for our own reasons.

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #31,455 of 150,839

"Sessions from the 17th Ward", perhaps?

It's a nice sounding Chesky binaural recording done in a NYC church. I love the string sounds on this one. I think I saw it mentioned on the website of some random magazine as a "test disc", and I'm glad I added it to my repertoire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back