Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 5, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #29,671 of 150,689
I've been fortunate enough to work in cities in the UK having excellent coffee shops

This made my head explode. I lived in the UK for 12 years. The coffee was --so bad-- I ended up preferring instant chicory powder over British coffee. Heck, I even started to drink tea just to avoid British coffee. I can only imagine that after I left maybe being a member of the EU allowed some Italian mojo into the coffee market...

Mar 5, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #29,672 of 150,689
This made my head explode. I lived in the UK for 12 years. The coffee was --so bad-- I ended up preferring instant chicory powder over British coffee. Heck, I even started to drink tea just to avoid British coffee. I can only imagine that after I left maybe being a member of the EU allowed some Italian mojo into the coffee market...
Dunno, I lived in Edinburgh 77-82 and coffee started to get decent in the last two years, much better than what I found in California when I moved here (even Peet's, which even then was roasted too dark). It's been a long slog, but after 3 decades we are finally getting somewhere...

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #29,673 of 150,689

Ha! I know what you mean - you know coffee is bad when people start considering McDonalds as a safe bet for it! I guess it's a relatively recent event (last 10-15 years) that decent coffee is being made in the UK, but to be honest, I'm probably not old enough to have been fully aware of the state before that, being 35.

@earnmyturns - Brew Lab in Edinburgh is excellent!

Mar 6, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #29,675 of 150,689
I always say that I have a "trauma" when it comes to coffee, simply cause during my electronic engineering days at my univ, I usually had to study or work on reports during all night (some days until the sun was up again) so coffee was my allied during those times.

Today (I'm 42 years old) I only need to smell a little bit of coffee and all the memories and even that physical feeling of tiredness appear immediately.

I think it's both cool and uncool at the same time how our memories are linked to taste & smell (among others).
Yep same with sounds i find! Like an emotional stamp, even when you can’t find the words you know exactly what it is about for you

Mar 6, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #29,676 of 150,689
Hmmm... A potentially untapped market.

Is it too late to request a Mike Moffat designed digital coffee brewing system to be added to the Schiit product roadmap? Perhaps with a patented multi-bean Hyper-Caffeine system, GEN 5 USB, linear PSU, Microprocessor controlled brewing and Circlotron aroma enhancement system.

I think this could be a hit given the interest in high-end coffee here.

I wonder if Mike will change the megaburrito filter for a Megadrip filter...?

Also to keep on topic....
UnfinishedUnsightlyKingfisher-size_restricted.gif

Silly question but is there any advantage to using Multibit over Delta sigma when listening to mp3 recordings?

Could you please keep on topic....?

Mar 6, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #29,677 of 150,689
The least Jason could do is number the <redacted>.

Such as: <redacted11> is now superseded by <redacted14> because <redacted11> oscillated to the point of self-immolation
I guess you where all sleeping.
In the last Canjam NY 2018 vids you can see prototypes of <redacted3> and a testing of <redacted9>.
So we KNOW what's coming.

Mar 6, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #29,678 of 150,689
Coffee, Sir? Digital, or analog?
692E296B-BAEF-4A26-8261-391AA9C90F3E.jpeg

Attachments

• Digital or analog coffee sir.JPG
    Digital or analog coffee sir.JPG
    243 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #29,679 of 150,689
Silly question but is there any advantage to using Multibit over Delta sigma when listening to mp3 recordings?

Yes! Since there is even less actual musical info in an mp3 file, saving whatever's left with a Multibit DAC becomes a higher priority.

Mar 6, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #29,680 of 150,689
The least Jason could do is number the <redacted>.

Such as: <redacted11> is now superseded by <redacted14> because <redacted11> oscillated to the point of self-immolation
<redacted12.1> might even be available for someone like me, who just got onto the latest Massdrop HD6xx offering. That drop’s already at ~41576/42050... or something like that. ETA = end of August, 2018.

Mar 6, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #29,681 of 150,689
Mar 6, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #29,682 of 150,689
I can't urge loudly enough: grind immediately before you brew, with a conical burr grinder. With espresso, flavor begins to drop off 90 seconds after the beans are ground. With french press, you have maybe 20 minutes. This roast, though, seems to like espresso most. I made a pour over and it was great, but not quite (in my view) the ideal venue. My french press and moka pot are at the Landhaus in LA. Breville smart grinder pro is a solid entry grinder (and quite affordable, given this hobby's expectations, at $199) but the Baratza Sette 270W will be my next upgrade ($499 on amazon rn).

Ok, you are clearly serious about coffee. And yet you are stockpiling beans. Coffee is an organic product. It peaks three days after it is roasted and stays at it's peak for about a week. After that week, it begins to lose flavor. There is no way to stop this process, it is simply a fact. The varietal characteristics and flavors begin to diminish and will do so for about a month, after which you've lost almost everything that makes that coffee special. Which is about the same point that most bulk commercial coffee reaches a store shelf, which is why when someone tries fresh roasted (and off-gassed for three days) coffee for the first time their mind is blown. Drink your favorite coffee while it's fresh, and when it goes away try the new blends and single origin coffees until you find something else you can enjoy fresh. Or buy a home roaster and convince verve to sell it to you green and roast it yourself, it keeps for a year or more unroasted without flavor loss.

Sorry to add to the SNR of this post, but years roasting coffee wouldn't let me ignore this :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back