Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 5, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #29,656 of 149,264
We've known for a while that <redacted> was in the plans, but Jason's post seemed to imply that the new <redacted> circuit had caused them to put aside plans for <redacted> and instead pursue <redacted> which will use the new <redacted> circuit.

I will stand by my prejudice that if it has tubes, I'm not buying it. There is only one tube device I would buy from Schiit and that is the new circuit board coaster.

Anyone know what pages of this thread mention this specific <redacted>? Too many <redacted>’s to keep track of.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #29,657 of 149,264
I have no space for decent coffee machinery, but in the spirit of schiit strongly believe that the aeropress (made by the same people as the famous frisbee no less) gives one of the best quality to cost ratios. I do like the look of that breville grinder however...

The Aeropress is my go to travel coffee maker, usually goes everywhere with me. I have it with me at the moment in the Philippines, along with a Hario hand-held grinder and some locally roasted beans. However going to Italy later in the year and my expectations of coffee there are high, so i will leave it at home and hit the espresso shops!

Mar 5, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #29,658 of 149,264
I'll sum up my coffee-addiction journey this way: I became totally addicted while in the Navy in the 1970's and to this day I drink 5 to 7 cups a day. Over the years I've tried nearly every sort of machine from simple pour-over Mellita filter holders to cold brews, French presses, manual espresso makers and super-automatics, and my taste preference is always met by a basic Krupps drip coffee maker. I have a very nice Baratza grinder that I still use, but no more careful measuring or obsessive attention to temperature. I just grind what looks right to my eyeball, dump it in a paper filter in the drip machine, and let it brew using filtered tap water. It works great and it tastes good to me. Lately I've been drinking Costa Rican Tarrazu coffee, medium roast. I ordered a bag to try the Ethiopian blend that was recommended as I love the taste of coffee. And my brain needs the caffeine. :)
If it tastes good, drink it!

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #29,659 of 149,264
Lack of caffeine does not make me grumpy, that is just my normal state. So when I say something that can be translated as "you kids get off my lawn!" it's just because I'm a natural jerk who's on the north side of 60. :)
I think Jason sells a lot of Schiit to a young demographic. But I'm betting there's a whole lot of North of 60 here.

So heads up younger demographic, one morning you'll wake up and all of a sudden be Ableza! Or me. Or ORT. Or RCB.....

Enjoy your Schiit and beverages as long as you can!:beerchug::)

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #29,660 of 149,264
I think Jason sells a lot of Schiit to a young demographic. But I'm betting there's a whole lot of North of 60 here.

So heads up younger demographic, one morning you'll wake up and all of a sudden be Ableza! Or me. Or ORT. Or RCB.....

Enjoy your Schiit and beverages as long as you can!:beerchug::)

I'm halfway there, enjoying every minute I have while I'm still "young". Got married last year to my girlfriend of 13 years. She should be getting a transfer back to Michigan soon, so we'll be buying a house and moving to be near family and friends again. Things are looking up!

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #29,661 of 149,264
I'm also well past the half way mark of my 60's and coffee and tea are all part of my primary food groups.
I'm also a tea master (trained by a Chinese tea master couple here in Seattle) and have been drinking coffee for 45+ years.

I recently have tried Crio Bru https://criobru.com
A cocoa based drink that is quite yummy, but does take 'special' handling, as in my Melita drip system doesn't quite cut it.
I'll need to add a press to my collection.

Also for those who like to try different brands of coffee here's one to try.
https://www.fontecoffee.com/
Also very yummy.

JJ

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #29,662 of 149,264
I'll sum up my coffee-addiction journey this way: I became totally addicted while in the Navy in the 1970's and to this day I drink 5 to 7 cups a day. Over the years I've tried nearly every sort of machine from simple pour-over Mellita filter holders to cold brews, French presses, manual espresso makers and super-automatics, and my taste preference is always met by a basic Krupps drip coffee maker. I have a very nice Baratza grinder that I still use, but no more careful measuring or obsessive attention to temperature. I just grind what looks right to my eyeball, dump it in a paper filter in the drip machine, and let it brew using filtered tap water. It works great and it tastes good to me. Lately I've been drinking Costa Rican Tarrazu coffee, medium roast. I ordered a bag to try the Ethiopian blend that was recommended as I love the taste of coffee. And my brain needs the caffeine. :)
My grandmother used to give me coffe with milk on my baby bottle, and she passed away when I was 4yo. I'm not 70% water, I'm 70% coffee.

Mar 5, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #29,663 of 149,264
My grandmother used to give me coffe with milk on my baby bottle, and she passed away when I was 4yo. I'm not 70% water, I'm 70% coffee.

dhMeAzK.gif

Mar 5, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #29,664 of 149,264
Anyone know what pages of this thread mention this specific <redacted>? Too many <redacted>’s to keep track of.
The least Jason could do is number the <redacted>.

Such as: <redacted11> is now superseded by <redacted14> because <redacted11> oscillated to the point of self-immolation

Mar 5, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #29,665 of 149,264
Hi, my name is _ and I'm a coffee-holic.

Anyway, I have a Cuisinart grinder that's lasted several years (hope I'm not jinxing it). Don't like pre-grind coffee as either the roast or the grind is wrong. Special order coffee is fine in that respect. Daily coffee is drip or french press. I started making espresso at home recently. Oh, my! Closest to the kind of coffee I grew up with. That was brewed in a sock, if you can believe it.

But nothing like the smell of fresh grind coffee, fresh brewed coffee! I wish I owned my grandfather's farm, he grew coffee, about a gallon of beans or so every once in a while.

Best non-espresso I ever had was the coffee of the Popes, grown on my ancestral home.

My wife is in Brazil and says the coffee there is amazing.

Mar 5, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #29,666 of 149,264
I assume you got the kit from diyaudio store? Is it just me, or is the Amp Camp Amp Kit always sold out? I check once in awhile, and it never seems to be available.

I just want the Magni 3 of 2 channel amps to use with my bookshelf speakers, is that too much to ask for? :triportsad: Perhaps there are other recommendations?

Tom,
I did buy the ACA, version 1.1, kit from DIYaudio. The kits do sell out quickly! I'm told that a version 1.5 should be available soon, so keep checking the DIYaudio store!

For those who are interested, here is a link to the background of the ACA:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-com-articles/214808-amp-camp-amp-1-a.html
The truly bold DIYers (not me!) could build it from scratch.

(If I'm not supposed to post links like this, please tell me & then delete my post.)

Mar 5, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #29,667 of 149,264
Hi, my name is _ and I'm a coffee-holic.

Anyway, I have a Cuisinart grinder that's lasted several years (hope I'm not jinxing it). Don't like pre-grind coffee as either the roast or the grind is wrong. Special order coffee is fine in that respect. Daily coffee is drip or french press. I started making espresso at home recently. Oh, my! Closest to the kind of coffee I grew up with. That was brewed in a sock, if you can believe it.

But nothing like the smell of fresh grind coffee, fresh brewed coffee! I wish I owned my grandfather's farm, he grew coffee, about a gallon of beans or so every once in a while.

Best non-espresso I ever had was the coffee of the Popes, grown on my ancestral home.

My wife is in Brazil and says the coffee there is amazing.
I can vouch for that, I'm in Rio de Janeiro. If she speakes portuguese, there is a coffee place that sources coffee from all over the country, they are amazing, they also sell online: http://luccacafesespeciais.com/cafes-especiais.html

Mar 5, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #29,668 of 149,264
Tom,
I did buy the ACA, version 1.1, kit from DIYaudio. The kits do sell out quickly! I'm told that a version 1.5 should be available soon, so keep checking the DIYaudio store!

For those who are interested, here is a link to the background of the ACA:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-com-articles/214808-amp-camp-amp-1-a.html
The truly bold DIYers (not me!) could build it from scratch.

(If I'm not supposed to post links like this, please tell me & then delete my post.)

Thanks! I guess I'll just have to keep checking.

Mar 5, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #29,669 of 149,264
My poison: I buy my beans unroasted, take them outside with a frypan and Coleman stove, and roast them up a pound at a time (oily smoke galore). Unless it’s a wet gale outside, I do it year round (here in Toronto). I pre-order/pre-pay 25 lb at a time from The Merchants Of Green Coffee (and pick it up as needed)... Peru is my favourite. Roast it, grind it, stainless-steel french press it. Hell yeah (just not on an empty stomach [bad ju-ju]).

Mar 5, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #29,670 of 149,264

Users who are viewing this thread

Back