Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 24, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #2,836 of 151,895

but at the same time no delta-sigma device is genuinely bit-perfect due to dithering.

True.  I'll only add that even prior to the SDM step you're not technically "bit-perfect" (in my possibly mistaken understanding of the term) if you've done oversampling/interpolation.  You can still retain all the original samples (along with the newly interpolated ones) through the oversampling/interpolation step, though.

Sep 24, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #2,837 of 151,895
"Unicorn format."  Brilliant. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 24, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #2,838 of 151,895

True.  I'll only add that even prior to the SDM step you're not technically "bit-perfect" (in my possibly mistaken understanding of the term) if you've done oversampling/interpolation.  You can still retain all the original samples (along with the newly interpolated ones) through the oversampling/interpolation step, though.

That would be correct.

Sep 24, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #2,839 of 151,895
  How about we deal with the elephant in the room, before worrying about formats, hmm?

Sorry but what does that mean? Is the elphant PCM as the majority of the market? Or better mastering? Or high-res recordings as a whole? Or getting normal people to discover better quality audio? Or just Yggy that is late?
Thanks.

Sep 24, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #2,842 of 151,895
You are right, there was a link to it in the text:

And, the elephant in the room:

1. The most important part of a recording is the master—paying attention on that side will reap benefits beyond any format

Sep 24, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #2,843 of 151,895
  So the elephant pooper scooper would be a high res I2S PCM ADC using something other than sigma-delta modulation?

I like the way you think
wink.gif

I'm still hoping to hear Mike and Jason's own definition of 'bit-perfect'... should we understand: no more quantization errors
blink.gif
?
so that there's no need for post-conversion filtering..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back