Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 24, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #2,821 of 149,685
I think Mike posted an answer to this in this thread already (somewhere...).

But basically, all DACs on the market today approximate the original samples because it is mathematically impossible* to get the originals back without using an infinite number of components. Better chips get you closer to the original sample, but you still aren't 100% bit-perfect.

Now I put the asterisk on "impossible" because Mike challenged a mathematician friend (mentioned in part of the Yggy saga) to come up with a closed order solution. In other words, they found a solution to recover the original samples without any approximation and without throwing anything away. Yggdrasil should completely reconstruct every single bit of the original sample. You could say it does it "perfectly", hence the term "bit-perfect".

Is it just me or does that sound ... well "impossible" :D.

I dont know if it is possible to do considering Digital is after all zeros and ones. Its a rather limited pool to create so many sounds. Still, as much as I love reading about the RAG and ppls impressions on it, for some reason im more interested on the Yggy.

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #2,822 of 149,685
-- Just got a Modi for my Magni. The cost was $109 Amazon Fulfilled vs $106.50 Schiit Fulfilled thru Amazon ($99+7.50 shipping)
-- To buy direct through Schiit's site costs me even more since the FedEx Home Delivery $10.76 is the cheapest one available

-- 30 day return, NO restocking fee makes this an easy choice for the net $2.50 upcharge to buy Amazon Fulfilled vs Schiit Fulfilled
-- Schiit's got a 15 day return policy with a 15% restocking fee for Magni & Modi. Even when I move up the product line (Schiit's policy goes to 15 day/5%), Amazon's policy is more customer friendly.
+1 to the above!
-- Really not looking for a 'deal'...just the best value. For me, the Amazon distributed, Schiit manufactured products achieve this.
Yep...my Modi shipped from a Kentucky warehouse to Ohio.
I guess this qualifies as being 'sucked into the Amazon Ecosystem' or 'looking for a deal'.

Last I checked 'Free Money' is, well, free money :wink:

Just wanted to give props to your avatar - I bought those headphones (Sennheiser 414) in 1975-76 at an audio store's grand opening sale for around $19, if I remember correctly.  Had them for over 30 years, through many replacement foam earpads, until just a few years ago one of the drivers finally gave up the ghost.

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #2,823 of 149,685
"Bit perfect" means that every bit included in the original sample is used as part of the analog reproduction process, rather than some of them being discarded or interpolated because of clock speed and resolution mis-match issues and without any processing being performed on the digital stream.  It's about how the digital information is handled, not specifically about the analog output (although if every bit is utilized correctly then the output will at least be accurate to the original sample.) -edit- It's difficult because of all the many sample rates and depths in use, as well as the intent in some systems to compensate for assumed errors or missed bits in the original which leads to processing and interpolation.  Bit-perfect devices do not re-sample or utilize DSP by definition.

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #2,824 of 149,685
  Is it just me or does that sound ... well "impossible" :D.

I dont know if it is possible to do considering Digital is after all zeros and ones. Its a rather limited pool to create so many sounds. Still, as much as I love reading about the RAG and ppls impressions on it, for some reason im more interested on the Yggy.

Yeah, it really can create all those sounds in the mathematically idealized world used in the Shannon-Nyquist-Whittaker theorem.  And it can get very close even in the real world.  The teasers for Yggy make it sound as if the filtering math used there will at least get closer yet.  (Perhaps All The Way?  Not sure what Mr. Fourier would have to say about that, but I am fairly excited to learn.)

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #2,825 of 149,685
Just wanted to give props to your avatar - I bought those headphones (Sennheiser 414) in 1975-76 at an audio store's grand opening sale for around $19, if I remember correctly.  Had them for over 30 years, through many replacement foam earpads, until just a few years ago one of the drivers finally gave up the ghost.

Thanks...my first headphones. Got em as HS Senior back in the 70s. Lost em in college. Great headphones!

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #2,826 of 149,685
  "Bit perfect" means that every bit included in the original sample is used as part of the analog reproduction process, rather than some of them being discarded or interpolated because of clock speed and resolution mis-match issues and without any processing being performed on the digital stream.  It's about how the digital information is handled, not specifically about the analog output (although if every bit is utilized correctly then the output will at least be accurate to the original sample.) -edit- It's difficult because of all the many sample rates and depths in use, as well as the intent in some systems to compensate for assumed errors or missed bits in the original which leads to processing and interpolation.  Bit-perfect devices do not re-sample or utilize DSP by definition.

Yes, but (just to be pedantic and finicky and all those other bad, irritating things) -

- At some point the digital has got to change to analog unless you like listening to a waterfall of harsh static, which is what the unfiltered digital sounds like.  At that point the original bits have to go through a filter or filters.

- Usually there will be initial filtering (sometimes called "oversampling," more accurately "interpolation") to help minimize certain types of distortion.

- There must be a final low-pass filter to get rid of the ultrasonics.

- These days there is usually a sigma-delta modulator in between the initial and final filtering that converts the signal from PCM to something somewhat resembling DSD, though I get the feeling Yggy may not do this (waiting, as I said before, eagerly to find out).

- I am guessing (and it's just a guess) that at least some of the "magic" of Yggy will be located in the initial filtering/interpolation step mentioned above.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #2,827 of 149,685
Chapter 31:
Name Me One Non-Standard Format That’s Succeeded, Ever, Or, A Trickster Cometh

The DSD surge started in 2013, shortly after the announcement of the DOP (DSD over PCM) USB protocol.

It started pretty innocuously. Starting in early 2013, we started receiving a few emails asking if we were planning to add DSD decoding to our products. It was a literal handful to start, but as we got into spring, the inquiries started coming faster, as a number of companies introduced DSD-compatible DACs.

As the company’s marketer, I wondered if this surge in inquiries would become a movement, so I asked Mike about the possibility of adding DSD to the existing Bifrost and Gungnir.

Mike groaned. “DSD. Argh. No.” I waited for him to explain, but he didn’t go any further.

“Why not?” I asked. I actually knew some of the technical reasons, but I wanted to hear it from Mike.

“DSD requires completely different filtering,” Mike said. “It’s essentially wideband noise. You want that going to your amps?”

I shook my head. Running ultrasonic noise into an amp is a good way to test it to destruction.

“So, we need way more aggressive filters to get the noise out,” Mike said.

“But, technically, the AKM DACs do DSD, right?”

Mike shook his head. “Technically, yeah. But doing DSD, versus doing it right, are two different things. If we put in the DSD-appropriate filtering, we’d be compromising our analog stage performance for PCM. And it’s not as simple as switching it in and out, because that would require more space on the analog board, and I don’t even know if we have the hooks on the analog board input, anyway.”

“So no DSD,” I said.

“Not without a lot of changes. For Bifrost, we’d need a new USB input board, a new main board, and a new analog board. Technically, yeah, that’s just upgrades—“

“—but it’s essentially a whole new product.” I finished for him.

Mike nodded.

“So what if DSD gets big enough to matter?”

Mike laughed and waved a hand. “Remember HDCD?”

I nodded. HDCD was a technology of the early 90s that was supposed to be the One True Savior of digital, allowing more dynamic range to be encoded on special disks that could only be decoded by a specific digital filter.

“HDCD almost took down Theta,” Mike said. “We got in screaming arguments about it. My marketing guy said the same thing you did: ‘What if it gets big? Everyone else is doing it. We’re going to lose sales if we don’t have it.’”

“I didn’t say those last two things,” I told Mike.

“Yeah, but just asking about DSD implied it,” Mike said. “You’re worried that we’ll lose sales, or we’ll miss out.”

I shook my head. Though Mike was right, in a sense. If DSD became big, we’d be vulnerable to other products that offered DSD playback.

“Stop worrying,” Mike said. “Where did reel to reel go? Nowhere. Where did quadraphonic go? Nowhere. Where did Elcassette go? Nowhere. Where did DAT go? Nowhere. Where did minidisk go? Nowhere. Where did HDCD go? Nowhere. Where did SACD go? Pretty much nowhere. I expect DSD will pretty much go the same exact place.”

“But what if it doesn’t?”

Mike groaned. “These special formats all end up the same place, because there’s no software for them. When there are more DSD downloads available than SACDs, let me know. Then I’ll start worrying.”

But the Inquiries Kept Coming

In fact, they intensified. As the press flogged the new shiny thing known as DSD, we began to get several inquiries a day—on slow days.

“Mike, we should do something about DSD,” I told him, finally.

“Ignore it,” he said. “It’ll go away. It’s just the press. They’re so monumentally bored, they’ll talk about anything, including a non-starter like DSD.

“But what about, just, you know, as a CYA.”

Mike sighed, and was silent for a long time. He knew we were getting inquiries. He knew some people really wanted DSD. And here he was, between his partner’s paranoia and his experience with dozens of nonstandard formats that have come and gone.

“You want me and Dave to divert time from Yggdrasil to work on this?”

I crossed my arms. That was the ultimate threat—taking time away from a product that was literally the antithesis of DSD, and which we believed would help redefine the digital market in toto, to work on something that could be a passing fad.

Mike laughed. “You do.”

“I just think it would be safer—“

“To do what everyone else is doing,” Mike finished. “To jump off the cliff, just because everyone else is doing it.”

“Can we really not afford to take a look at it?”

Mike looked thoughtful. “Okay. Fine. I’ll think about it. That’s all I’ll say right now.”

Mike’s Thoughts

Time went on. DSD inquiries continued. I watched our sales cautiously, but they kept increasing for all the DACs—definitely not an indication that DSD was a gotta-have thing.

But the press kept flogging it, the articles kept coming out, and rumblings of lower-cost DSD DACs started to surface (prior to this, DSD DACs were pretty eye-wateringly expensive.

Eventually, Mike came back to me, grinning like a fool.

“Okay. Here’s what we do. We make the least-expensive DSD DAC on the market.”

I blinked. “What?”

“If they want this format to succeed, they need wide adoption. And you ain’t gonna get wide adoption for a grand and a half.”

“So it replaces Modi?”

Mike shook his head. “No. It’s a standalone DSD-only DAC. That’s why, even though it’s gonna be the cheapest DSD DAC out there, it’s still going to sound insanely good. We’ll do the filtering right. Just for DSD, and only for DSD.”

“But what if you want to play both PCM and DSD?”

“If you’re so into DSD, convert it on the fly,” Mike sniped.

“Seriously.”

Mike looked thoughtful. “Put a switch on it. Then you can run the output of your current PCM DAC through it.”

I sat straight up. “So you can use it to add DSD capability to any DAC!” I cried.

Mike nodded, looking very pleased with himself. “Exactly.”

I nodded. That was a perfect fit with Schiit’s ethos. Keep your existing DAC, add DSD, see if you like it, then go from there if you do. Instead of throwing your existing DAC away to get a DSD-compatible one.

“How cheap are we talking?” I asked Mike.

Mike grinned. “Not much more than Modi.”

Okay. Now this was getting good.

Tech Challenges

There were just a few problems with this plan—starting with the fact that we didn’t have any DSD-capable USB receivers. The CM6631A we were using didn’t accept DSD streaming or DSD over PCM. C-Media was planning a CM6632 for later in the year, which would be DSD-compatible, but late in the year was too late for our plans.

Enter Dave.

Note: when I say, “It’s in Dave’s hands now,” that means it’s somewhere in complicated software/firmware land, from which it will hopefully emerge with working software/firmware at some future time.

Dave’s plan was simple, but somewhat insane: use a 32-bit Microchip microcontroller to do our own unpacking of the DSD-Over-PCM standard, and then send that along to the DAC. Yeah, quite a programming feat. But he did it, and soon we had a prototype that could play native DSD, using a Crystal Semiconductor DAC.

There was only one problem: it sounded like crap. Dynamically compressed, soft, boring, and lifeless. Yeah, I know, it measured fine, so it should sound fine, right? Not in this case.

“Why’d you do Crystal?” I asked Mike, one day when Mike, Dave, and I were together at the Schiithole.

“Crystal will do 2X DSD,” Mike said.

“But the Microchip controller would have to be faster to unpack it,” Dave said.

“So we can’t do 2X DSD right now?”

Dave nodded. “But with a faster processor, we could.”

“But not now,” I confirmed.

“Right.”

I frowned. “Why don’t we just use AKM, then? We know they sound good.”

Mike shook his head. “We have no idea what they sound like when they’re fed DSD.”

“Isn’t it worth a shot?”

Mike and Dave looked at each other. Dave shrugged. Mike sighed.

And a few weeks later, we had another prototype—this one with an AKM DAC. And it sounded worlds better. It still measured pretty much the same, but it had a lot more life and energy. It had dynamics and pace. Both Mike and Dave smiled when they heard it.

“But AKM doesn’t do 2x?” I asked.

Dave shrugged. “It might do it undocumented, but--”

“—but we don’t know,” Mike finished for him.

I sat silent. Should we wait to add 2X capability, for the literally 20-30 recordings there were out there done in 2X? It would mean another prototype cycle, and maybe different code, and maybe some unforeseen problems.

“And it would take different filtering,” Mike said. “This is as good as it gets for 1X DSD. Throw 2X in there and we start having to make some different decisions.”

Still, I sighed.

“Let me propose a solution,” Mike said, as he usually does when I’m hesitant about something. “Let’s bring this to market, see how it does, and if DSD really takes off, we can work on a 2X solution, or whatever we need.”

I nodded. That made sense.

“Good.” Mike said. “Though I doubt if we’ll ever have to do any more work…”

Peak DSD

Mike seemed confident that DSD was a non-starter, but his comment seemed to be out of sync with the public at the next TheShow Newport, which we attended a couple of months before introducing Loki. At TheShow Newport 2013, literally every other question from passerby was, “When will you support DSD?”

Mike still didn’t look too worried.

And, although I didn’t know it at the time, that was the absolute peak of DSD.

Loki Cometh

We introduced Loki under the banner of “Add DSD to any DAC for $149.” At the time, the least-expensive DSD-capable DAC was $849, so this was quite a coup.

Or so we thought. It turned out that the idea of a DSD-only DAC and switching system was a little more challenging than we thought. Some people thought we were converting DSD to PCM and running it to the main PCM DAC (why, when you can simply do it in software?). Some people thought we were taking the analog output of their DAC and converting it to DSD (fat chance on that one.) Some people really, genuinely wanted to throw out their old DAC, rather than run DSD through it.

And lots and lots of people didn’t like having to run two USB cables (one to their main DAC, and one to Loki), and switch between the two on their playback software. For a main DAC fed by SPDIF, the switchover was easier (and seamless if they were using a different player, like a CD player, for their PCM content), but it still wasn’t something that most people wanted to do.

That, combined with the appearance of new, inexpensive DSD/PCM DACs, quickly cooled Loki’s sales. Mike will still argue that doing PCM and DSD in the same DAC is a compromise, and the math (and measurements) are on his side, but convenience usually wins out over sonics when you’re playing at the lower end of the market.

Still, these wouldn’t be insurmountable problems if we wanted to do, say, a Loki 2 with automatic interface switching. It could then interface seamlessly with a PCM DAC. But it would be significantly more expensive, especially if we added DSD 2x (or 4X, or 1000X, or whatever the latest unicorn format is today.)

And I suspect that’s the way we’d end up going if we were to continue pursuing DSD—not adding it to our current DACs, but making a seamless, dedicated DSD DAC with interface switching.

But as of the time of this writing, I don’t think it’ll happen.

DSD Today

Today, Mike has crossed his arms and declared, “No more DSD development, unless something really big happens.”

Why?

Because, from our point of view, it looks like we’re past the peak. Despite dire pronouncements from other manufacturers saying, “You can’t move a non-DSD DAC with a boxcar full of Ex-Lax,” we haven’t seen it. Cases in point:

1. Sales of our DACs continue to increase—and to accelerate
  2. Inquiries at TheShow 2014 included literally two (that is, 2) half-hearted questions about whether or not we were going to support DSD, in stark contrast to the literally 200 questions the year before
  3. Sony’s presence at TheShow (featuring DSD prominently) was a ghost town
  4. Email inquiries have fallen from a dozen a day to maybe one or two per week
  5. The predicted “opening of the vaults of DSD” hasn’t happened—there are still only a few hundred recordings available, many of which have questionable provenance (more on that later—and even SuperHires’s announcement about Warner probably won’t answer even a tiny fraction of the questions on provenance, and prices remain TBD)

Sure, there are plenty of DSD-capable DACs out there, including some that do 4X and 8X DSD…but where’s the software?

Let’s face it:

1. The bulk of the industry remains compressed streaming—and that ain’t DSD
  2. Pono is another question mark in high-res—and it ain’t DSD
  3. Apple could come out of sleep-mode on high-res if Pono or other products prove there’s a demand—and if they do, they define the market—and they won’t be using a Sony format, I bet

And, the elephant in the room:

1. The most important part of a recording is the master—paying attention on that side will reap benefits beyond any format

So What About the Future

Okay. Let’s say the next Sony reorganization (they ain’t exactly healthy these days) doesn’t kill DSD, but results in them releasing 20,000 DSD recordings of popular artists, all with DSD-guaranteed-from-the-start provenance, for, say, $5.99 an album.

Would this result in a whole lot of DSD out there? You bet.

Would it be a game-changer? Absolutely.

Would it have us dusting off plans for a Loki 2, or working on ways to include DSD decoding in our DACs without compromise? Yeppers.

But I think that scenario is about as likely as the disembodied head of Steve Jobs giving the next Apple Keynote.

What’s more likely is this:

1. DSD recordings will continue to be a small part of the market
  2. DSD recordings that actually start as DSD, or were converted direct to DSD from master tapes, will be an even tinier part of the market
  3. High-rate DSD with the same provenance will be even smaller
  4. DSD recordings will continue to be very expensive
  5. Some people will continue to really like DSD, and will flip us off as they pass us at shows
  6. More people won’t care, as long as the music sounds good and doesn’t cost a fortune
  7. Even more people won’t care if it’s DSD, PCM, or compressed, as long as it’s available to download at a good price
  8. And the vast majority of people will never have any idea what the hell us crazy audiophiles are talking about, as they happily stream compressed music for a small monthly fee (or free)
  9. About 10 years from now, a new quantum-based encoding format will come out so that everyone can buy their music again…

How about we deal with the elephant in the room, before worrying about formats, hmm?

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 24, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #2,828 of 149,685
Amém to that.

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #2,829 of 149,685
A very elegant way of saying Mike was right.

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #2,830 of 149,685
And good riddance, DSD has been nothing short of a migraine for me ever since I got into obscure classical music. Stupid combo discs and their crazy prices...

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #2,831 of 149,685
Was at the national audio show UK 2014 weekend just gone (see sep thread). Per usual for such gatherings the 'high-res' showcasing featured classical music ranging from a vague "know of it" to obscurity.

Almost an exercise in pointlessness. I saw perhaps two other people with the ability to use push own music. Everyone else was using their smartphone or were stuck with the music on offer if it was a big headphone.

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #2,832 of 149,685

Mike’s Thoughts

<snip>

I nodded. That was a perfect fit with Schiit’s ethos. Keep your existing DAC, add PCM, see if you like it, then go from there if you do. Instead of throwing your existing DAC away to get a DSD-compatible one.

Another great chapter! I suspect you meant add DSD in the above line though.

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #2,833 of 149,685

Yes, but (just to be pedantic and finicky and all those other bad, irritating things) -

- At some point the digital has got to change to analog unless you like listening to a waterfall of harsh static, which is what the unfiltered digital sounds like.  At that point the original bits have to go through a filter or filters.

- Usually there will be initial filtering (sometimes called "oversampling," more accurately "interpolation") to help minimize certain types of distortion.

- There must be a final low-pass filter to get rid of the ultrasonics.

- These days there is usually a sigma-delta modulator in between the initial and final filtering that converts the signal from PCM to something somewhat resembling DSD, though I get the feeling Yggy may not do this (waiting, as I said before, eagerly to find out).

- I am guessing (and it's just a guess) that at least some of the "magic" of Yggy will be located in the initial filtering/interpolation step mentioned above.

:)  To be equally pedantic, the term "bit perfect" is simply concerned with the digital signal transmission process.  It means that the original sample is the output and that it has not been changed in any way.  No filters, no re-sampling, no signal processing.  It has nothing to do with the D-A process, and the necessary filtering and smoothing that requires.  It simply means that the entire original sample is used in that process and it is not altered in any way.  A DAC is much more than a bit-perfect transmission device, but at the same time no delta-sigma device is genuinely bit-perfect due to dithering.

Sep 24, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #2,834 of 149,685
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 24, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #2,835 of 149,685
  Chapter 31:
Name Me One Non-Standard Format That’s Succeeded, Ever, Or, A Trickster Cometh

The DSD surge started in 2013, shortly after the announcement of the DOP (DSD over PCM) USB protocol.

[big snip]

How about we deal with the elephant in the room, before worrying about formats, hmm?

As someone who urged you guys back when to consider DSD and owns a sizable collection of it (including, yes, actual once-popular music like the Stones, the Who, Steely Dan, Rickie Lee Jones, Dylan, etc.), I'm here to say you're absolutely right.

Lemme 'splain.

Going back to why I switched from Bifrost to my current DAC (assembled from circuit boards in a custom chassis):

(1) Yeah, Bifrost wouldn't do DSD.  And there was some DSD stuff I wanted, though back then it was almost all on SACD (yes, I'm one of those fanatics with an old PS3).

(2) But the major reason I was looking for a new DAC was this (apologies if I step on any of the stuff in your upcoming segment, that I'm really looking forward to): The Bifrost would accept input up to 192kHz, which encompassed 98% of the high res market.  But I wanted something that would accept 352.8 and 384kHz rates, not to play music issued at those resolutions, but to be able to use software to oversample/interpolate in a computer to those resolutions, then feed it to the DAC.  This would bypass the DAC's internal oversampling/interpolation.  With the resources of a computer CPU, it's possible to implement oversampling/interpolation filters that would be beyond the constraints imposed by DAC chips.  (I note Yggy will apparently be using a field programmable gate array - FPGA - to implement its filtering, rather than an off-the-shelf chip.)

(3) Once you get past the oversampling/interpolation stage, the vast, vast majority of DAC chips in use today (including those in Bifrost and if I am not mistaken, all Schiit DACs currently on the market - this of course does not include Yggy) have a "sigma-delta modulator" (SDM) built in, which turns the oversampled PCM bitstream into something resembling DSD.  DSD bypasses the oversampling/interpolation stage and the SDM stage.

So that's what I was looking for: Something that would let me have the minimum amount of highest-quality filtering possible in order to turn my bits into music.  It took a fair amount of time and trouble to get it built, but putting in some DIY gave me a DAC I really enjoy listening to at close to the price originally ballparked for Yggy.

But now, in the more-than-one-way-to-skin-a-feline department: A friend has loaned me his over-$5K DAC to break in for him while his computer is elsewhere.  (Yeah, I can't believe it either.)  This DAC has no steenkin' SDM, no sirree.  Uses the DAC designer's PC software to oversample/interpolate to 705.6/768k rates fed to the DAC, then 8 good old-fashioned non-SDM DAC chips to make beautiful music out of it.  And it is really, really nice.  Funny that I can't say the sound blew me away, because it sounds familiar - a lot like it would if people were singing and playing guitar in my living room.  Nothing bombastic, nothing over the top, just music.  Yep, it sounds better than my DAC - for over 4 times the price, I would hope so.

So this DAC gets around SDM not by putting DSD in the front end, but by not having it in the DAC at all.  No need for DSD, as long as the fundamental principle is observed - the minimum amount of highest-quality filtering possible.  And that's what interests me in Yggy.  No need to bypass the DAC's internal filtering by oversampling/interpolating in a computer if the DAC's internal filtering is highest quality.

Anticipation....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back