Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 25, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #2,866 of 152,234
  Mr. Crazychile in Farmland ,
  You have a nearly identical background as I .  
 Can you offer an opinion as to the Etymotic working with the Lyr 2 ? ......
  ...... Review Mags. are a curse to a Manufacturer trying to live from published reviews , the reviewer becomes a Saddam Hussain Lord of the Realm ( as in HP of the Absolute Sound ) , they can "Create" product sales out of thin air or they can Kill a very good product .

Tony in Michigan ( no longer Fly-over country , thanks to the Internet ) 

Tony,
My Etymotics developed a short in one of the channels a few months back and I haven't bothered to get them fixed yet. So I can't comment on how they work with the Lyr 2. I did try them with the Vali I owned despite Schiit saying that was probably a bad plan, being an IEM and all that. (Ha, a dare!) Anyway, they sounded great despite all the microphonic issues. I doubt the Lyr 2 would have those same issues. I was also surprised how there wasn't a huge difference sonically between the Vali and the Lyr 2 on my other headphones. Surprisingly the biggest jump in performance was changing out the Modi DAC for the Bifrost Uber USB.

Regarding the stereo magazines,  the biggest thing that used to drive me nuts when I worked in a stereo shop was when someone listened to a piece of gear, really liked it, but wouldn't buy it because it hadn't been reviewed. Like they needed the validation to confirm what they heard. So by that standard they automatically disqualified themselves from owning 98% of the gear available. STUPID!

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #2,867 of 152,234
  Regarding the stereo magazines,  the biggest thing that used to drive me nuts when I worked in a stereo shop was when someone listened to a piece of gear, really liked it, but wouldn't buy it because it hadn't been reviewed. Like they needed the validation to confirm what they heard. So by that standard they automatically disqualified themselves from owning 98% of the gear available. STUPID!

Some people need review confirmation. Some people need their friends approval. Some people need hard measurments and statistical tests. All these types need some sort of outside approval to overcome their insecurity. Few people are secure enough to trust what they are listening despite everyone else.

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #2,868 of 152,234
Thank You for writing back ,
 I too up-graded from my Modi DAC and also noticed a pleasant result . 
The population in general is insecure and needing a bit of hand-holding .  There are very few J.D.Power type services for revealing good value experiences from actual owners such as yourself .  
  Now , today , a Company that takes good care of it's customers will generate plenty of Stars on their Amazon rating for their products .  It's getting so that any Company that "Burns-the-Customer" will quickly feel the pain of Customer Awareness . Things are changing for the better .  
Thank you again for being helpful , somehow you gave Schiit some nice pats on the back .  This new customer based review system works well .  
  I own the Asgard 2 and love it .  So much so that I'm contemplating another Schiit purchase , such is the result of not "Burning the Customer" !  Nice to hear of your experiences .  

Tony in Michigan 

Sep 25, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #2,869 of 152,234
  Some people need review confirmation. Some people need their friends approval. Some people need hard measurments and statistical tests. All these types need some sort of outside approval to overcome their insecurity. Few people are secure enough to trust what they are listening despite everyone else.

well, I think that there is nothing wrong with being a bit nervous of throwing down huge dollars after a short demo session. Often times a quick demo session does not give you the full sense of how the equipment will perform. I've found that for my headphones and amps my impressions do change after using them for a span of a few weeks over the first impression.

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #2,870 of 152,234
I've always found audio equipment reviews to be sometimes entertaining but ultimately useless.  While it's fun to read someone else's subjective opinion about something, and reading specs is always a treat, it is completely meaningless to what I might think about it.  The only review statistics I really care about concern reliability and ease of use and maybe something about the company who made it.  No two people hear things exactly the same.  If I like the looks and sound of something and I can afford it, I will buy it unless several reviews tell me it blew up out of the box or that the manufacturer uses child slave labor in New Guinea to build it.

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #2,871 of 152,234
So right you are , huge sums can take your breath away and a wife's approval .  
  Buyer remorse from Impulse Buying is the issue here !!!  The good news is that properly purchased products can sell for 80% of MSRP , a person only need perform the "Due Diligence" background work before taking the leap .  Check ebay SOLD listings to see how well the product in question is respected by the larger group of Cash Buyers .  
 For instance :  JDS Labs stuff ( they sell thousands ) is rarely listed on ebay , the odd piece will sell for a tall price , so tall that a person might as well buy new ! That's only one example , Schiit stuff is another , there are a few more ( like Sennheiser HD600s )  .
  Tony in Michigan 
ps .  I had a chance to hear and hold the Sennheiser HD800s , first impression : Outstanding , Smooth , feel wonderful being worn , a superb product , like the Rolls Royce of Headphones and they didn't have the twitchiness that the Reviewers talk about , a Glorious Transducer , best I've ever encountered . Phew , I'll have to have those ( Impulsive Me-thinks ) but I'll have to conceal it from Wifey (due to it's Huge Dollar Price)  especially now that I'm complaining about her Extravagant Beauty Salon and Clothing Bills .  Are we made of Money ?  What is a person to do ?

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #2,872 of 152,234
"Having to conceal from wifey" or "must get wife's (or mom's) approval" or the like means you have issues in your relationship, and that you cannot afford the product if you need someone else's permission.  IMO, anyway.  :)

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #2,873 of 152,234
  So right you are , huge sums can take your breath away and a wife's approval .  
  Buyer remorse from Impulse Buying is the issue here !!!  The good news is that properly purchased products can sell for 80% of MSRP , a person only need perform the "Due Diligence" background work before taking the leap .  Check ebay SOLD listings to see how well the product in question is respected by the larger group of Cash Buyers .  
 For instance :  JDS Labs stuff ( they sell thousands ) is rarely listed on ebay , the odd piece will sell for a tall price , so tall that a person might as well buy new ! That's only one example , Schiit stuff is another , there are a few more ( like Sennheiser HD600s )  .
  Tony in Michigan 
ps .  I had a chance to hear and hold the Sennheiser HD800s , first impression : Outstanding , Smooth , feel wonderful being worn , a superb product , like the Rolls Royce of Headphones and they didn't have the twitchiness that the Reviewers talk about , a Glorious Transducer , best I've ever encountered . Phew , I'll have to have those ( Impulsive Me-thinks ) but I'll have to conceal it from Wifey (due to it's Huge Dollar Price)  especially now that I'm complaining about her Extravagant Beauty Salon and Clothing Bills .  Are we made of Money ?  What is a person to do ?

lol ya. both the o2/odac and the schiitt stuff are pretty popular and there are numerous reviews out there. different for the more obscure gear like maybe hifimediy stuff or stoner acoustic stuff. i feel like it is always prudent to do your background research rather than impulse buying based on a demo.

hahah... don't do it! lying to ur wifey is a big no-no =P just wait til the next time she wants a nice purse/shoes/whatever... super expensive random girl stuff... and "concede" to her purchase it for you getting ur headphones! :)

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #2,874 of 152,234
Quote:
"Having to conceal from wifey" or "must get wife's (or mom's) approval" or the like means you have issues in your relationship, and that you cannot afford the product if you need someone else's permission. IMO, anyway. :)

Are you kidding?!  You never heard of "What's yours is ours and what's mine is mine."? 
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #2,876 of 152,234
  Quote:

Are you kidding?!  You never heard of "What's yours is ours and what's mine is mine."? 
wink.gif

Sure.  That's called a dysfunctional relationship.  :)

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #2,878 of 152,234
My fiancée and I both love video games, comic books, and vinyl. I've now introduced her to the world of head-if. (She always had stereo setups.) Be jealous, be VERY jealous. Lol :p Now I just need to explain that Raggy will let us have a great head-if and hi-fi system at the same time. :)

Sep 25, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #2,879 of 152,234
My fiancée and I both love video games, comic books, and vinyl. I've now introduced her to the world of head-if. (She always had stereo setups.) Be jealous, be VERY jealous. Lol :p Now I just need to explain that Raggy will let us have a great head-if and hi-fi system at the same time. :)

Pics or it didn't happen! =P

Sep 25, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #2,880 of 152,234
My fiancée and I both love video games, comic books, and vinyl. I've now introduced her to the world of head-if. (She always had stereo setups.) Be jealous, be VERY jealous. Lol :p Now I just need to explain that Raggy will let us have a great head-if and hi-fi system at the same time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, no fight, no negotiations about such stuff with your wife? Sound also kinda boring.....

eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back