Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 12, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #28,306 of 151,238
It would be cool of Schitt, if they would make available the label files. So that if anyone wishes to powdercoat/paint/anodize their own case on their own dime, they could then stencil/silkscreen/laser etch the details for a professional looking end result.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #28,307 of 151,238
Back in the very early 1990s we were trying to figure out how to make a British manufacturer's cars customizable at the POS. Inventory was crazy as only a few choices led to thousands of possibilities (combinatorial explosion, anyone?). Although this level of customization as clearly beyond state-of-the-art in those days I figured it would be common fairly soon. Say, early 2000s.

But, nothing. Manufacturers seemed to have given up on that. Except maybe for Minis (which may or may not be the aforementioned British car maker). And I don't see that anywhere else.

Otherwise, Schiit with customizable paint colors (need it to match my couch) and customizable LED colors (I'll take mine in Cylon, thanks) would be awesome!

Exactly! Now, imagine stocking parts for mass production. LED color? We'll need a bin of 50,000 of each color that we offer. Board runs? Well, there's the white board run, the red board run, the green board run, and the blue board run. Don't get them confused during final assembly.

Who would voluntarily do that to their inventory management?

Jan 12, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #28,308 of 151,238
We'll need a bin of 50,000 of each color that we offer. ...

Who would voluntarily do that to their inventory management?

Just-in-time manufacturing (is that a magic wand?). My suppliers hold all the stock. Then again, I swap "50,000 in a bin" for 50,000 UPC labels.

I think the customer's need for instant-gratification (aka 2-day shipping) kills off many customization possibilities.

Jan 12, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #28,309 of 151,238
Just-in-time manufacturing (is that a magic wand?). My suppliers hold all the stock. Then again, I swap "50,000 in a bin" for 50,000 UPC labels.

I think the customer's need for instant-gratification (aka 2-day shipping) kills off many customization possibilities.

Schiit is big on instant gratification. Order at 8 AM, out that day, in your hands two days later. When Schiit is able to 3D print their products on demand will the need for warehousing change.

(Also substitute tape reels of LEDs for bins, assuming the LEDs are put on as part of the board house. It's still a PITA.)

Jan 12, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #28,311 of 151,238
B.M.W., Rolls Royce,Audi and Mercedes all offer individual options(Rolls Royce calls it bespoke I think) that are basically only limited by the amount of cash you wish to burn.
Mini (B.M.W. owned by now) just took it a step further and now lets you 3-D print your own dashboard inlay-designs and some other stuff. 3_D prnting is about to change how we think about massproduced products.
Not your fault it took 20 years longer than expected.

Jan 12, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #28,312 of 151,238
B.M.W., Rolls Royce,Audi and Mercedes all offer individual options(Rolls Royce calls it bespoke I think) that are basically only limited by the amount of cash you wish to burn.
Mini (B.M.W. owned by now) just took it a step further and now lets you 3-D print your own dashboard inlay-designs and some other stuff. 3_D prnting is about to change how we think about massproduced products.
Not your fault it took 20 years longer than expected.

The first sales weenie I met selling 3D printers in 2001 had, attached to his business card, a clear rook chess piece, with a spiral staircase in the tower. The availability of printing has greatly improved, but the quality hasn't as much. That rook was gorgeous. (We do 3D printing where I work as well. Nice, but a long way to go.)

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #28,313 of 151,238
The first sales weenie I met selling 3D printers had, attached to his business card, a clear rook chess piece, with a spiral staircase in the tower. The availability of printing has greatly improved, but the quality hasn't as much. That rook was gorgeous. (We do 3D printing where I work as well. Nice, but a long way to go.)
I have seen really nice prints. But those were medical applications and models. So they were really, really expensive and still required touching up after printing. But man those things had detail!

Jan 12, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #28,314 of 151,238
Comparing what a large automobile conglomerate can do to what a small independent audio component designer/manufacturer can do is like comparing Bill Gates' bank account to mine.

Jan 12, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #28,315 of 151,238
I have seen really nice prints. But those were medical applications and models. So they were really, really expensive and still required touching up after printing. But man those things had detail!

I'm currently in the medical application field. Our prototypes are very nice, but they still look like 3D printing. And we can't get the plastic up to the standards we need.

In any case, nothing we print would ever see a patient. They're just for prototype assembly so that we can make the mechanical fit and finish mistakes here, first.

Jan 12, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #28,317 of 151,238
I'm currently in the medical application field. Our prototypes are very nice, but they still look like 3D printing. And we can't get the plastic up to the standards we need.

In any case, nothing we print would ever see a patient. They're just for prototype assembly so that we can make the mechanical fit and finish mistakes here, first.
I think the things people in your profession make are art. And it might not be perfect yet but I think stuff like this is awesome!
osteofab-cranial-device.jpg

Jan 12, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #28,318 of 151,238

A friend of mine needed carotid surgery but was not a candidate for standard surgery because the artery was 100% blocked. The Mayo clinic custom 3D printed his graft so the surgeon could place the graft quickly, without causing a stroke in the process. I don't know about you folks, but this is Science Fiction from 20 years ago.

Jan 12, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #28,320 of 151,238
I must admit you are totally right. After this post I realized that all cosmetic Torx screws I have seen were oval or round heads. With flat undercut head there is less space for a key cavity, so the result would be just a small hole in the center of screw head.

I live in a metric world. Every time I need to find a replacement for American screw, it becomes a quest nobody would like to have :)
I did for many years as well. Now longing to live in one again. Inches (and don't get me started on Fahrenheit) are just nonsensical. I'm pretty happy with the way my Schiit looks, though. Even though if I can move, must by a Schiit-Ton of new wall warts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back