1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. FrivolsListener
    Exactly! Now, imagine stocking parts for mass production. LED color? We'll need a bin of 50,000 of each color that we offer. Board runs? Well, there's the white board run, the red board run, the green board run, and the blue board run. Don't get them confused during final assembly.

Who would voluntarily do that to their inventory management?

2. artur9
    Just-in-time manufacturing (is that a magic wand?). My suppliers hold all the stock. Then again, I swap "50,000 in a bin" for 50,000 UPC labels.

I think the customer's need for instant-gratification (aka 2-day shipping) kills off many customization possibilities.

3. FrivolsListener
    Schiit is big on instant gratification. Order at 8 AM, out that day, in your hands two days later. When Schiit is able to 3D print their products on demand will the need for warehousing change.

(Also substitute tape reels of LEDs for bins, assuming the LEDs are put on as part of the board house. It's still a PITA.)

4. FrivolsListener
    Not a good comparison. Imagine if you had to preprint every possible UPC label for every product you sell ahead of time, or worse, if you had to buy those preprinted labels from a vendor.

5. HumanFly
    B.M.W., Rolls Royce,Audi and Mercedes all offer individual options(Rolls Royce calls it bespoke I think) that are basically only limited by the amount of cash you wish to burn.
    Mini (B.M.W. owned by now) just took it a step further and now lets you 3-D print your own dashboard inlay-designs and some other stuff. 3_D prnting is about to change how we think about massproduced products.
    Not your fault it took 20 years longer than expected.

RCBinTN likes this.
  6. FrivolsListener
    The first sales weenie I met selling 3D printers in 2001 had, attached to his business card, a clear rook chess piece, with a spiral staircase in the tower. The availability of printing has greatly improved, but the quality hasn't as much. That rook was gorgeous. (We do 3D printing where I work as well. Nice, but a long way to go.)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  7. HumanFly
    I have seen really nice prints. But those were medical applications and models. So they were really, really expensive and still required touching up after printing. But man those things had detail!

8. Ableza
    Comparing what a large automobile conglomerate can do to what a small independent audio component designer/manufacturer can do is like comparing Bill Gates' bank account to mine.

aamefford, RCBinTN, sam6550a and 6 others like this.
  9. FrivolsListener
    I'm currently in the medical application field. Our prototypes are very nice, but they still look like 3D printing. And we can't get the plastic up to the standards we need.

In any case, nothing we print would ever see a patient. They're just for prototype assembly so that we can make the mechanical fit and finish mistakes here, first.

RCBinTN likes this.
  10. HumanFly
    I wasn`t compairing. My Schiit is fine like it is. Just expensive enough, no need to customise :)

FrivolsListener likes this.
  11. HumanFly
    I think the things people in your profession make are art. And it might not be perfect yet but I think stuff like this is awesome!
    [​IMG]

ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  12. KoshNaranek
    A friend of mine needed carotid surgery but was not a candidate for standard surgery because the artery was 100% blocked. The Mayo clinic custom 3D printed his graft so the surgeon could place the graft quickly, without causing a stroke in the process. I don't know about you folks, but this is Science Fiction from 20 years ago.

13. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    Nice to know mayo can keep blood vessels open too....

14. JamminVMI
    I did for many years as well. Now longing to live in one again. Inches (and don't get me started on Fahrenheit) are just nonsensical. I'm pretty happy with the way my Schiit looks, though. Even though if I can move, must by a Schiit-Ton of new wall warts...

15. SeaWo|f
    I want my Schiit with Fishcer connectors,an incandescent bulb in place of the led and forged magnesium chassis. Any hope?

OldRoadToad likes this.