Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 12, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #28,291 of 149,380
Nothing wrong with liking the look of the things we purchase and use, be it audio or video equipment, furniture, cars, clothing, and on and on. Keeping in mind of course that it’s all about the eyes of the beholder. Schiit’s industrial, modernist/minimalist, and to me, at times, possibly art deco vibe is fine with me.

There are always things I’d change if I could. Power switches on the rear don’t really bother me the way I set my gear up on a vertical, open on all sides, 6 shelved stand and I can reach all the switches on all my gear without having to get up from my listening recliner (long arms, LOL). Because I like vertical shelving I like all other controls on a front vertical face plate and nothing on the tops or angled up. I read a suggestion on one of the Schiit threads about using rhinestone stickers of various sizes (I went with black) to cover the basically invisible dimple on the volume knobs of my 3 Schiit amps. Works perfectly, cost me 3 bucks, and now I know where the volume is at all times and it makes it easier for me to hit repeat settings when A/B’ing stuff. Problem solved! But I’d still wish for smaller steps on my Ragnarok for finer tuning of the volume level. Other than that, I’m good with my Schiit.

For those who would like a splash of color, (and I’m not one of them), I wonder what an auto body paint shop could do with those aluminum housings?

Jan 12, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #28,292 of 149,380
Nothing wrong with liking the look of the things we purchase and use, be it audio or video equipment, furniture, cars, clothing, and on and on. Keeping in mind of course that it’s all about the eyes of the beholder. Schiit’s industrial, modernist/minimalist, and to me, at times, possibly art deco vibe is fine with me.

There are always things I’d change if I could. Power switches on the rear don’t really bother me the way I set my gear up on a vertical, open on all sides, 6 shelved stand and I can reach all the switches on all my gear without having to get up from my listening recliner (long arms, LOL). Because I like vertical shelving I like all other controls on a front vertical face plate and nothing on the tops or angled up. I read a suggestion on one of the Schiit threads about using rhinestone stickers of various sizes (I went with black) to cover the basically invisible dimple on the volume knobs of my 3 Schiit amps. Works perfectly, cost me 3 bucks, and now I know where the volume is at all times and it makes it easier for me to hit repeat settings when A/B’ing stuff. Problem solved! But I’d still wish for smaller steps on my Ragnarok for finer tuning of the volume level. Other than that, I’m good with my Schiit.

For those who would like a splash of color, (and I’m not one of them), I wonder what an auto body paint shop could do with those aluminum housings?

The concept seems so foreign to me. Would you call Sennheiser and ask them to produce an HD-800 for you in electric blue, or Samsung to make their TV have a different color pedestal?

But, yeah, I suppose an auto body shop could probably do the painting.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #28,294 of 149,380
The concept seems so foreign to me. Would you call Sennheiser and ask them to produce an HD-800 for you in electric blue, or Samsung to make their TV have a different color pedestal?

no need for an auto body shop for sennheisers:

Jan 12, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #28,295 of 149,380

I wouldn't want my HD800 in any color but what it is, but those who want something else may have options they can address on their time and their dime if they give it some thought.

Jan 12, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #28,298 of 149,380
IMG_2222.jpg
+1. And I would add that they're strictly functional with nothing extraneous, like VU meters. (Ducking and running)

JC
I have my newly purchased silver boxes on each side of my desktop. Meters... when I need my fix, I can turn on VLC’s virtualization. Accurate? Nah. It just transports me back to the 80s...

Jan 12, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #28,299 of 149,380

In my case, I ask them here on the forums or in person as I have done with Sennheiser at a Can Jam event. I am far from shy either in the real world or this little Matrix. I have a great deal of fun talking with booth babes at audio shows because the majority of my fellow nerds are too skeered to even say hi. I, being a total Alpha Nerd, will speak up and say hello. Ask them how they're doing and once in a while I have been told that I am the only person to have really spoken with them. Because I want nothing from them but conversation and to make them smile which makes me smile.

So yup. I ask audio manufacturers for things I would like to see. If they do not do it, no big deal. I can either buy their stuff or not. There are some really nice people in this industry (just like at car and motorcycle shows!). Here's a fun fact I have noticed at audio shows - Just like Sam Neil's character Dr. Grant said regarding dinosaurs in the original "Jurassic Park" so too is it true for Nerds and especially the hideous and fierce beasties known as frAudiophile Nerds, "They're moving in herds. They do move in herds."

I've been told that frAudiophile Nerds think of themselves as "raptors". Pffft...More cRaptor than any thing else. Full of themselves and if of the sub-subset of typists for print or online, on the prowl for bro-deals. Like some sort of joy-sucking Wesen from the TV show "Grimm", they feed their egos on the less fortunate among them, i.e., normal people who just want to enjoy the music their equipment provides them with.

For those that fancy themselves among the elite blessed with ears of gold, please remember this. If you hear a difference then that is the difference, but only for you. If you wish to make a difference in some one's life (in our case here, their audio life if you will), give them the gift of your time and your under standing, not your ego. Trying being a normal person. Don't tell them to "listen for the difference", instead encourage them to enjoy and if they find a "difference", let them experience and enjoy that aspect of audio. Don't go do that voodoo that you do so....well...so poorly. And by that any one here knows that listening to a cable is just plain silly. I did it at an LA Audio show and by picking up some cables, holding them to my ears and announcing that I could not even hear the ocean.

I am ramblin'. I am all so weakening. I truly want a Schwartz Valhalla 2. Ugh...That bright light. It reminds me of what I did not see when I flat lined. But then my eye sight is quite poor.:beyersmile:

ORT​

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #28,300 of 149,380

I have my newly purchased silver boxes on each side of my desktop. Meters... when I need my fix, I can turn on VLC’s virtualization. Accurate? Nah. It just transports me back to the 80s...

Looks cool. If it does what you desire then it gives you what you need. The 80s were a great time for music. As for accuracy, it the music hits the intended target, i.e. a memory or three, then I would call that accurate indeed.

Jan 12, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #28,302 of 149,380
I would anodize rather than paint. Whatever you do, you'll have to deal with putting new labels on the front.

Probably right on anodizing, personally, I like my Schiit stock!

But let everyone enjoy this hobby their own way

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #28,303 of 149,380
Jan 12, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #28,304 of 149,380
You are not the person who pipes up with random and uncalled for insults to ORT.

No one pipes up with insults, uncalled for or not, toward ORT. Not everyone appreciates it when he goes off the rails, so to speak. Sometimes, when he really goes overboard, I call him on it. He, or you, may find that insulting. But that is much different than "piping up with insults".

Jan 12, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #28,305 of 149,380
Would you call Sennheiser and ask them to produce an HD-800 for you in electric blue, or Samsung to make their TV have a different color pedestal?

Whenever I see this I always wonder...

Back in the very early 1990s we were trying to figure out how to make a British manufacturer's cars customizable at the POS. Inventory was crazy as only a few choices led to thousands of possibilities (combinatorial explosion, anyone?). Although this level of customization as clearly beyond state-of-the-art in those days I figured it would be common fairly soon. Say, early 2000s.

But, nothing. Manufacturers seemed to have given up on that. Except maybe for Minis (which may or may not be the aforementioned British car maker). And I don't see that anywhere else.

Otherwise, Schiit with customizable paint colors (need it to match my couch) and customizable LED colors (I'll take mine in Cylon, thanks) would be awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back