1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Ragnar-BY
    I saw Jotunheim, it`s chassis looks way better with clean panel. I think it`s also cheaper to produce than previous U-shape, so it`s a win-win design, that`s great. But I assume a lot of products would not be updated soon (Vidar, for example) and screw change is relatively easy and relatively cheap to try.

RCBinTN likes this.
  2. HumanFly
    I like screws. They usually mean no glue was used.
    edit:
    to me that means quality

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    RCBinTN likes this.
  3. JamminVMI
    Care to do so and show the results? I vote for security Torx!

4. Jason Stoddard
    Actually not as easy as you might think. Many of our products use thread-rolling screws, so unless we want to order 1 million custom Taptite screws (and then keep them in stock), that's a no-go. For products that use machine screws, finding truly cosmetic Torx screws is not easy. Yes, seriously. Yes, we've tried it. Also, in reality, the Torx don't look so hot, because they're really tiny Torx heads on relatively huge screw faces (we use flathead and undercut flathead screws, so the Torx bit needs to be tiny.) And shallow. And that means the tools frequently mark up the Torx head.

And that's the long version of why we'll be moving to more hidden fasteners, rather than cosmetic fasteners.

And glue? No.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
    trellus, Kn1nJa, Dino2000 and 10 others like this.
  5. HumanFly
    I hope you didn`t read into my post that I was suggesting that you should use glue?
    Please don`t use glue.

barondla and RCBinTN like this.
  6. SeaWo|f
    Schiit could do a "Premium line" of cosmetically enhanced gear. Same internals, same sound and Sand cast chassis for 20x the price...

7. Ableza
    Or not. :)

8. DoubleIPA
    or you could start your own company, call it Schmod, and put Schiit gear into chassis you like and charge 20x the price and see how it goes. You could become the new Lexicon.

liamo likes this.
  9. FLTWS
    Like the opposite of Mass Drop.

ScubaMan2017, OldRoadToad and artur9 like this.
  10. SeaWo|f
    I bet if I included those beeswax fuses everyone is getting wet over I could bump that to 30x.

Although if that actually improved the sound I would have broken with the principals of this hypothetical company :: "Schmod"

OldRoadToad, RCBinTN and Ragnar-BY like this.
  11. Ragnar-BY
    I must admit you are totally right. After this post I realized that all cosmetic Torx screws I have seen were oval or round heads. With flat undercut head there is less space for a key cavity, so the result would be just a small hole in the center of screw head.

I live in a metric world. Every time I need to find a replacement for American screw, it becomes a quest nobody would like to have :)

ScubaMan2017, RCBinTN and HumanFly like this.
  12. DoubleIPA
    I really like the way Schiit's products look. When you consider the the big boys, their products pretty much look the same. They're square with hard edges and have a bunch of buttons and big dial and usually black (in the USA). Schiit's products have their own look and that makes them unique.

13. JohnnyCanuck
    +1. And I would add that they're strictly functional with nothing extraneous, like VU meters. (Ducking and running)

JC

14. SeaWo|f
    I think you would be surprised how many americans would support this. I was surprised when I found out that Schiit has Standard rather than metric screws.

The industrial look goes with the modern decor of the new house I built. I do however generally wait to get my Schiit until they have the black finished available.

15. DoubleIPA
    I find Schiit's gear to be a balance between modern and retro. If someone walks in my room and looks at my piece of Schiit, they can't tell if it's new or old. That's a good thing because it'll age well and not look dated, IMO. My house is english country and it works just fine.