Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 10, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #28,234 of 150,941
Mimby vs Bimby... I am in the market for another DAC. I have a Mimby already and it is great. From what I have read in more than a few places, the Bimby isn't any better, or "the Mimby is just a smaller Bimby"...

2 questions, is the Bimby any better (I really can't afford $600 either way...) and is Mimby still king of the <$300 DACs (probably not the best thread to ask that in)?

Jan 10, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #28,237 of 150,941
It also does a better job of holding down the veneer on my old entertainment center, and looks better with a Lyr sitting atop it than a modi would.

$350 for added paper weight ability.... a bit steep... :wink:

Jan 10, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #28,238 of 150,941
ORT said:
Well wait till the press gets a listen to my codec: ENC - Emperor's New Codec.
For best results you must listen naked. In public. Other wise I will declare you a worthless Lead-Head and take away your frAuidophile crudentials. Will the purveyors of prose be waxing euphoric over ENC? Better than that. Those typists will go Smeagol over it's exclusivity and (play on words ALERT!) be waxing off like Anthony Weiner. ENC will be "The Precious" to those precocious pablum pundits of periodicals.

Take a pill.....

Why, thank you, good sir; I was wondering what jewel I missed due to ORT’s lightning-fast redacting!

Now I wonder how to the point the other (redacted) remarks must have been -_-

Cheers, ZZ

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #28,239 of 150,941
Please tell me the announcement is light roast coffee at the Schiitr. Please, please please. Verve has a fantastic subscription service that would make the Schiitr 110% better. (They have one dark roast and one french roast, which is a specific variety of dark roast. Both are terrible. Avoid.) My favorite is the 1950, though Seabright is the default "your aunt would like it" blend. Both are very easily likable. The single origin ones are brighter (think about an Audeze fan talking about HD800's 6khz spike for some approximation of the experience of these to the uninitiated).

I'm tepid about blue bottle's beans, though their book is amazing (and designed by a former roommate). I drink their coffee when I'm in Venice and care to walk over to Abbot Kinney. Four Barrel is dealing with its own sexual harassment scandal, and is either changing its name to the Tide (which sounds like laundry detergent), becoming employee owned, or is going out of business entirely. Ritual is the last a-list coffee I would recommend, though they seem to focus so much on single-origin coffees as to be unsuitable. Reveille is great in-store (I love both the Castro location and the one in North Beach) but the coffee prices are just a little too expensive to justify. Sightglass never made much of an impression on me.
Do your tastebuds a giant favor and try a single origin coffee from Kean Coffee
http://www.keancoffee.com/Products/FreshRoastedBeans.aspx. Martin Diedrich is a second generation roaster with a tremendous respect for coffee and the people that grow the beans. Their roasts consistently bring out the character of the beans. They have two stores in SoCal.

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #28,240 of 150,941
Please, stop it with the coffee suggestions.

The only appropriate coffee for the Schiitr, and this thread, is Kopi Luwak.

Made from beans ingested and later pooped out by the Asian palm civet, also called the toddy cat.

Cats, schiit, coffee.

You're welcome.

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #28,242 of 150,941
In 1994, the press went bonkers for HDCD. It was the future! Mike yawned.
In 1999, the press went bonkers for SACD. It was the future! Mike yawned.
In 2012, the press went bonkers for DSD. It was the future! Mike yawned.
Today, the press is bonkers for MQA. It is the future! Mike, again, yawned.

I'll bet we'll still be happily making PCM-only DACs when the press has moved on to the latest "it's the future!"
I'll bet you're right too, Jason. If you go public, I will buy stock.

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #28,243 of 150,941
Putting on my Old F*rt hat for a minute. Things were easier when I first got into music, and consequently hifi gear. One only had to choose between records, tapes or the radio.
You bought records, taped them for the car, and listened to John Peel (or his equivalent in the USA) on the radio for new musical inspiration.

Triple thumbs up on John Peel. He was my radio hero, and when I got a show of my own I tried (unsuccessfully) to emulate him. I was devastated when he died. He shapes my musical taste to this very day.

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #28,244 of 150,941
Saga should be on that list of high end bargains. It’s as good as certain preamps costing four figures here in the uk, never mind other sub £1000.00 preamps.
And, Gungnir MB. At $1,250 including Gen 5 USB, it's an amazing value for a DAC.
IMO. I have one.

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #28,245 of 150,941
Please, stop it with the coffee suggestions.

The only appropriate coffee for the Schiitr, and this thread, is Kopi Luwak.

Made from beans ingested and later pooped out by the Asian palm civet, also called the toddy cat.

Cats, schiit, coffee.

You're welcome.

You my friend, win the Schiitrnet. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back