Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 11, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #26,491 of 153,102
Two issues at play:

- Customer Service...which was handled in an exemplary manner (as usual).

- A question regarding a possible Failure Rate increasing for the Mimby. IMO, reporting equipment failures on a thread in a factual, respectful manner is simply posting data points. Over time, the trend will become evident (or not). To say that we should not make each other aware of any manufacturer's failures (or successes) on Head-Fi is not a reasonable ask (again imo). To impose this constraint on posting turns the thread into a marketing tool for the manufacturer and not an information exchange...and greatly diminishes the value of the thread.

THIS

Nov 11, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #26,492 of 153,102
The other thing that posting our product experiences/information/data does...when you're dealing with a firm that is an 'Open Brand'...is that it begets the type of response Jason just posted.

Which, to me anyway, is highly useful information. It not only re-affirms my Schiit purchases but assures me that things are still good in Schiitsville and I can continue to purchase additional products with confidence.

THIS ... AGAIN!

Nov 11, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #26,493 of 153,102
It's a great thing when ideas come together and adoption by users is spontaneous.; The only similar luck I've ever had with software was implementing Skype for business, which allowed IM and desktop sharing between users anywhere in the world without having to use a web app. Everyone loves it (especially my engineers.) There are far fewer conference room meetings these days and productivity has gone up.

Nov 11, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #26,494 of 153,102
There haven't been any more than the typical number of failures with Modi Multibit lately, by the way.

...and finally ... THIS

Thank you Jason. I was genuinely interested. I am a true fan of Schiit ... but not a fanBOI. With your previous post on running changes, it's not out of the realm of possibility to have a change in failure rates.

Not only that ... now everyone who searches on Google for Schiit ... who inevitably lands on this forum as it is many peoples' first search result ... will not only see that NO, there is no increased failure rate ... will also see how phenomenal your customer service is.

Sounds like a win for Schiit.

FanBOIs are dangerous creatures ... a true fan just wants to learn all they can about a product, bad or good. A fanBOI wants to suppress any comment or question that has any potential to be construed as negative or disparaging ... at the cost of the greater good.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #26,495 of 153,102
The other thing that posting our product experiences/information/data does...when you're dealing with a firm that is an 'Open Brand'...is that it begets the type of response Jason just posted.

Which, to me anyway, is highly useful information. It not only re-affirms my Schiit purchases but assures me that things are still good in Schiitsville and I can continue to purchase additional products with confidence.

Agreed! :beerchug:

I just think the order of things should be considered. I have more confidence in a private customer service experience (not one where someone complains first in public), expressed here afterwards , including if I was NOT happy with the experience, rather than l'll post here first, then contact customer service. This could have started with the last post about the customer service experience and achieved the same ends. E.g. "My Mimby failed after X days, which sucks. I emailed Schiit and they did X and Y, which I am happy/unhappy with etc."

But to each his own. Its Jason's thread, he can decide if he's ok with it or not.

Ultimately it was a good customer service experience, and I agree this type of discussion does help with deciding to do furniture (edit: typo. meant "future") business.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #26,498 of 153,102
Clearly it's important for some to prove a point.
Let's not make it a competition.
I was merely preaching for some courtesy to the seller before going public.
I do not in any way agree to the arguments brought against it which is for me not a personal vendetta.
One can only hope to be questioned first before being nailed to the cross.
In my line of work it literally saves lives to do so.
Age and experience teach you a lot too.

Nov 11, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #26,500 of 153,102
I really dislike when people think it is OK to use forums to vent their personal frustrations with a small company and bad mouth them based on the one issue they think they are having. A loudspeaker manufacturer I used to be associated with folded partly because of a few very loud and vehement Internet users who felt wronged when the company did not bend over for them and insisted on sticking to their terms of warranty. Just contact the company using the mechanisms on their web site, and don't bring it into the public. Your issue affects you, and while I hope things get resolved I really don't care to read about it. [/soapbox]

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #26,502 of 153,102
A loudspeaker manufacturer I used to be associated with folded partly because of a few very loud and vehement Internet users who felt wronged when the company did not bend over for them and insisted on sticking to their terms of warranty. [/soapbox]

Add to this paid anti-shills, the way Google's algorithm weights negative reviews, and the nocebo effect, and you have a real problem. Someday, maybe 1 year or 5 years from now, someone will take a fragment of this thread (OMG, are Modi Multibits failing? will be all they see) and use it to make buying decisions. Yes. Really.

But, since support was topical, I thought it best to address this directly. Usually the best course. Until you go insane trying to respond to everything.

Now, back to metal. Eventually I'll get to the prototype that I really messed up...

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 11, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #26,503 of 153,102
Now, back to metal. Eventually I'll get to the prototype that I really messed up...

It really begs a question ... so, I'll ask it ... 'metal' for what ?

Nov 11, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #26,505 of 153,102
When I purchased my Freya in mid-2017, one half of one of the Russian 6SN7 [I cannot embrace the "new" tube numbering systems] was inoperative. Of course, Schiit made good on it, but it was a result of infant mortality. There is a fine line trade-off of how much / how performed burn in [temp cycling, vibration, etc.] you do versus the return on investment and customer satisfaction. Schiit has evidently analyzed and applied a calculated burn-in infant mortality detection program that works for their business and technical model. Let the system 'do its thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back